Sub Dressing Application

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/01/25 00:08:43 (permalink)

Sub Dressing Application

I was in Publix this evening and was watching the guy making a sub for a customer. He was applying a dressing from what looked like a large, institutional sized Beano's type pre-made dressing. I noticed that he kept shaking the bottle as he applied it as to mix the vinegarette. That jogged a memory. Both of the sub places that I worked for years ago in the 70's used to apply the dressing with short shakes on an angle. I don't think that they even squeezed the bottle. They used those big 32oz Tablecraft type clear condiment bottles that looked like big mustard or catsup dispensers. There was a trick to getting the dressing onto the sub and still maintaning the oil/vinegar/herb balance in the bottle. The tip was cut to a particular size to get this right. The bottles were never shook to mix the ingredients IIRC. After saucing a sub, the bottles would still have the oil/vinegar strata and didn't appear mixed or separating out. Moot point, but there must have been something to that. The dressing never left the sandwich prep area. If a customer wanted more dressing, the sub had to be returned. That used to be a big deal. I never remember the subs have so much dressing that it was running off, and the amount of herbs that ended up on the sandwich was pretty sparse. There was just enough to do the sub right. There wasn't anything sacrosanct about these dressings. I know what went into one of them and the other was pretty similar. Just wondering if anyone recalls this from the golden age of the sub shops b4 the national chains forever altered how subs were made or recalls any other peculiarity.

14 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1