The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Le Tub Restaurant in Hollywood, Florida

MiamiDon

Le Tub Restaurant in Hollywood, Florida Mon, 01/25/10 11:05 AM (permalink)
Last Sunday I drove up to Le Tub restaurant in Hollywood.  This bar and restaurant was made famous a couple of years ago when GQ magazine food writer Alan Richman declared that the burger here was the best that he had ever had, if I recall correctly.  I was eager to try one for myself.

It has a typical Florida rustic waterside restaurant look, with lots of driftwood-looking woodwork:

Looking the other way is a view of the Intracoastal Waterway, with a little pleasure boat maneuvering to dock next door:

What makes this place unusual, though is another decor theme - toilets!

They were everywhere.  I don't think that I have ever been in a toilet-themed restaurant:

Looking for a place to sit, I spotted these two fellows lurking in the shadows.

The Travelin Man & Buffetbuster:

(The cameras were a clue.)

We ordered some seafood gumbo, the Sirloin Steak Burger, with American cheese, and a large order of steak fries.

Of course, being a group of Roadfooders, when the food arrived, out came the cameras!

Seafood Gumbo:

The waitress tried to warn us off by saying that it was very spicy, but I found it to be almost mild, with a good flavor.  I managed to distinguish clams and shrimp in it.  I like it, and recommend it.

The fries arrived before the burgers; hot from the fryer.  They were good - well seasoned, crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.  Probably from frozen, but I enjoyed them.

Steak Fries:

Finally, the stars of the show arrived - our cheeseburgers.  These are thirteen ounces, and arrived oozing juices on poppy-seed buns, and smelled just great.  Romaine, onions and a fat slice of tomato accompanied them.

13 Ounce Sirloin Steakburger:

This was a very good cheeseburger, oozing beefiness (is that a word?), with a bit of a crust from some sort of flame grill, and not cooked to death.  We all ordered medium, but I would judge mine to have been medium rare in the middle, which is how I like it.  It comes unseasoned, so I flipped mine and added some table salt.  I am not positive that this is the best large burger that I have ever had, but it was awesome.  The Brickyard burger I had in Daytona Beach a year-and-a-half ago might have been better, but it had bacon and sauteed onions, so that might have been the real difference.

Here is a shot of Buffetbuster's burger cut in half (he did a better job than I did with the puny plastic knife!):

I could not finish mine, but Travelin Man went for the gold.

Look at that face.  That is one FULL Roadfooder!

Satiated Travelin Man:

Of course, someone in the group had room for pie.  Buffetbuster ordered a slice of key lime, and the waitress added extra forks, unbidden.

Key Lime Pie:

The pie is advertised as being made in-house from fresh limes, and it was a good example of key lime pie with whipped cream on top, as opposed to the traditional meringue topping.  It had a nice smooth texture, and was appropriately tart, with a nice graham-cracker crust.  I just had a bite; Buffetbuster might want to comment further.

A good time was had by all, and the people-, boat- and bird-watching were an added attraction.  It might be a little warm in the summer, but the weather was near perfect when we were there.  The Travelin Man & Buffetbuster were great company, I might add.  They were snapping away with their cameras, so I imagine that they will have some photos to post here or elsewhere.

Le Tub Saloon
1100 North Ocean Drive
Hollywood, FL 33019
954-921-9425
http://www.theletub.com/

<message edited by MiamiDon on Tue, 01/26/10 1:28 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com