The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

"smoked" BBQ in regular oven?

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 8:39 AM (permalink)
Okay, I don't have a smoker, plus I'm in an apt. anyway and wouldn't be able to use it, so I decided to try to use the "smoker" technique in the regular oven. So this is what I did:

1. took my country style spare ribs and a boneless pork loin and did a very basic rub on them of salt, pepper and brown sugar. In retrospect, I probably used a bit too much of the brown sugar ... LOL

2. wrapped them up quite tightly with aluminum foil. Ooh, next time I'll make sure I use the heavy duty kind!

3. put them in a low, slow oven: 225 degrees for 6-7 hours.

For the last hour, I added a bottled bbq sauce.

The ribs and loin both came out very moist and tender, falling apart tender. The pork loin could probably have gone a bit longer, but I've got plenty of leftovers. So all in all, it was a complete success and the oven will work if you don't have a fancy smoker!

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
    Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 10:34 AM (permalink)

I used a old convection toaster oven to smoke my brisket. I put the little oven out on the back porch with some foil wrapped chips and that baby smoked away.
    What I did not do was wrap it which was okay, but my direct placement on the baking sheet created a serious percentage of burnt ends on the bottom. Burnt ends are fine, but I almost went beyond that.  Next time I would consider using a small rack with a touch of water. I'm a wet smoker.

Last week I made Chinese BBQ pork with thin sliced pork belly. I was surprised that it did not take very long at all to produce tender char sui.

mark

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
      Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 11:33 AM (permalink)
      Boneless Pork Loin @ 225 for 6-7 hrs. = dry Boneless Pork Loin, a 135 internal on that is maximum if you want it moist and still done

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
        Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 4:39 PM (permalink)
        Another variation on that is to do them on a rack and pan with a little water underneath and cover with foil. Then remove the foil and char under the broiler or turn out onto some coals on a small grill on the patio. BBQ sauce or brine a while just b4 baking with some liquid smoke added. Reserve some for basting. That's the way I do quick and dirty pork ribs when I don't have the time or volume to load up my electric smoker.  

RedJim64

• Total Posts: 128
          Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 5:35 PM (permalink)
          Good on you, tarragon.

Hope your leftovers are fantastic. 

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
            Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 6:05 PM (permalink)
            I've had pretty good luck with my Cameron Stove-Top Smoker. I wouldn't use it for smoking thick items, but it does a good job on things like chicken breasts and pork chops. I'll admit, though, that unless it's pouring rain I use a barrel-type charcoal smoker on my micro-patio.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
              Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Sun, 01/31/10 7:12 PM (permalink)
              Something that I've found useful for charcoal finishing for oven baked items is these disposable foil charcoal grills that sell for a few dollars already packed with charcoal and a non-noxious quick start. With a little effort and a wire brush and gloves, they can be re-packed for another use at moments notice. Think I paid like $4 each at Publix for a few made by Leisure Ways. Small cooking surface 12" x 9", but adequate to char finish pre-cooked food, but worthless to do any grilling. Oscareware makes disposable grates for a few bucks for two that can fit over a foil pan that can do the same thing even cheaper.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                Re:"smoked" BBQ in regular oven? Mon, 03/22/10 10:12 PM (permalink)
                Rick F.
                I've had pretty good luck with my Cameron Stove-Top Smoker. I wouldn't use it for smoking thick items, but it does a good job on things like chicken breasts and pork chops. I'll admit, though, that unless it's pouring rain I use a barrel-type charcoal smoker on my micro-patio.

I've made whole chickens, leg of lamb, and beef brisket on my Cameron with good results.

One trick: Use twice the recommended chips when cooking something big.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com