Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 17
Author
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 421
2010/02/06 11:49:59 (permalink)

Mobile kitchen build info

Hello all,

most know of me via the dogger portion of this site & my food cart but I have been working towards building by mobile kitchen. As I type this I am stuck in a hotel in Ohio with about 20" of snow so naturally I am passing time with more research. I am just about finished the gutting out part of the build and probably have about a days worth of that or so left. I decided to go the box truck route rather than trailer fyi. When all is said and done I probably have equivalent to a 7 x 8'  of space to work with give or take. I will measure if I ever make it back home lol.

I removed or am removing the non metal areas such as coverings, vinyl, upholstery, etc. I plan to use steel as a backer for my cooking items on the wall and diamond plating for the floor, frp for the other areas. I have my notes for all the info I find while researching RF and I have seen a few threads on people debating what panels to use, etc and a few other trailer build back & fourths but not as much as I thought I would see. My questions are more of how to then what to. My HD is very helpful with what I must have but they cant help me on the how to. My questions are as follows. As I mentioned I am stuck in a hotel for another day so I have lots of time to search and reply to your feedback, questions, etc.

• When you are putting your wall back up is it done in this order? Wood, FRP and then in the area where I will cook steel over top that section? Or is it Insulation then wood then FRP then the steel over the cooking area? I am waiting to speak with the fire dept about any specifics they have but just getting feedback at this point.
  • for an existing 2 or 3' window in the truck that is in the back can I put wood over that window and build up from that or do I have to remove the window? I want to cover the window because I want that area for shelving, etc. I will be installing a back up camera rather than use the window. I have had cameras in cars and trucks and like them much better as I can use that window space for other things. I will have to use metal over the outside part of the window otherwise it will look like a window with wood covering the inside from the customers POV. Any other ideas on this I am open to.
  • The floor is the same as a bus would be, you know that type of rubber matting if you know what I am speaking of. Can I just lay insulation over that since it is already flat and then wood and then diamond plate or should I just lay the diamond plate over whats there because it already has vehicle insulation and that's good enough for the floor? Cost is an issue but I am curious as to what others think.
  • As for the generator that I will use to power up how do guys get that around? I know some have built in sections on the outside of their trucks already and trailers use tongues but I will be using a portable generator. Its not the heaviest thing in the world but not the lightest either. I can't imagine lifting that in and out of the truck each day so what are the options? Only things I can think of are mount the gen on a small trailer and town behind the truck? Lift it in and out of the truck each day or possibly have someone build a cage of some kind for the front of the truck? Again keeping cost down where possible. Steam table, refrigerated prep table, warming cabinet, register, small freezer, heat lamps, inner lights, dvd and monitor, water pump, vent/exhaust hood, grill and soda dispenser are what I am planning to run at this point. Nothing will be propane. Don't want tanks in front or back of truck for people to slam into with their cars. Can't have them inside here of the truck.
  • I want to start putting the walls back together and get the floor down this week "if" possible and then start on running the electric and lights, etc. The snow is a big hassle right now.
Well, that's it for now, I await your feed back and will be on and off RF most of the day while I continue to search. Any other good info of things to do that you may have learned or wish you would have done before would be helpful too.

Any other search ideas besides

Trailer
building a trailer
insulation
trailer wiring,
gutting a trailer
trailer build
food truck build
box truck

post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/06 12:14:52
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 12:32:23 (permalink)
"The floor Can I just lay insulation over that since it is already flat and then wood and then diamond plate?"

Let me tell you if your going to be operating in a cold winter climate you'd better insulate the hell out of the floor. In fact both above and below the original deck.

Last week and I mean all week the floor in my trailer was 24 degrees. This summer I'm insulating the underside with 4 inch foam panels. Today it's a cozy 35 degrees. lol

Jack
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/06 12:34:04
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 12:34:52 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

"The floor Can I just lay insulation over that since it is already flat and then wood and then diamond plate?"

Let me tell you if your going to be operating in a cold winter climate you'd better insulate the hell out of the floor. In fact both above and below the original deck.

Last week and I mean all week the floor in my trailer was 24 degrees. This summer I'm insulating the underside with 4 inch foam panels. Today it's a cozy 35 degrees. lol

Jack

Thanks Jack. One down, many more questions to go.

knifeguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 13:27:21 (permalink)
The buildout on the walls is similar to any building you may be putting together. The only difference is that you have metal "studs" and "exterior Sheathing". Take it down to the "studs", insulate and put up you interior "wallboard". This would be some sort of wood sheathing, probably 1/2". I have a truck that I am also converting and it has what I call "particle board". Your FRP can be put over the sheathing using adhesive. I would not apply any wood behind your "line" since the Fire department has to have the final say on what goes there. My fire department says they require double 5/8 sheetrock. I am trying to get some information on what is done in trailers since sheetrock will not stand the test of time in a moving kitchen. I am hoping that a fire rated insulation and metal (diamond plate) sheathing and then the stainless glued to the diamond plate will be acceptable. Nothing is really flammable so we'll see what we come up with. Can anybody comment on what their trailerwalls have behind their hood system?
You can leave the window in place and cover it if you'd like. I assume that you don't want to get into filling the hole on the exterior of the truck. Paint the back of the panel black and the customer won't know what is there. "Look...A Black Hole!"
I'd go right over the floor with the diamond plate and insulate from underneath. Why build a whole new floor?
My truck has a generator mounted on the undercarriage with a startup switch inside the truck. It's a angle Iron frame mounted to the frame of the truck.  Real nice rig and no lugging. Are you restricted from having something similar. If not, the carrier for the front is viable. Did you ever see the rigs surf fishermen us for carrying there oversized coolers on the fron of their trucks.
Are you running everything on 110? Any 12 volt lights with marine batteries and an inverter?
All my lights in the truck are 12 volt. I have 4 marine batteries and an inverter.
I don't see any mention of water. 3 Bay sink and handsink required in Massachusetts.
I believe all of you wiring is going to have to be enclosed in conduit.

Good luck with you conversion. I'm glad to have found someone going through a similar project.

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 13:41:38 (permalink)
Ok now I have more time I have all but one special order for S Bowl parties done.

Not sure what you mean by FRP but in a truck the weight factor isn’t as important as in a trailer; even so don’t use full ¼ inch plywood and then metal over that.

Just insulate your walls, I’d use foam again and cover with what ever hard surface you’ve chosen.

My first choice is stainless steel although on my rebuild of a box truck, I’m using aluminum, on the walls and ceiling.

On the generator thing I’m not knowledgeable to help you, I have one in my box truck, but I haven’t started the unit and not sure I want it in the truck. First they are noisy, (most are) if there inside and more importantly I need the floor space. So I’m moving mine to my smoker trailer and pulling it behind my truck.

A little off track but maybe not. Our city has never sanctioned a St Patrick’s Day party but they do hold a parade. Since the parade is down town and so are about 6 or 8 popular bars the streets are blocked off and over the years a giant annual inside and outside party (6000 people) has erupted. 

So I CALLED THE CITY AND the parade chair, the zoning department, the health department and they all said we don’t care. LOL However the parade chair said the parade committee would like a donation so I’ll send them a check for $150.00.

Now here is why this may apply, when I called city light and power about using a power box downtown, they said they will hook up power at one of the midblock event boxes for $100.00 , and leave it hooked up for a week, with no charge for the electricity used. And I have been vending for a long time and never knew city water light and power would set up power like that.  So you may want to check where ever you’re going to be parking the truck to find out all the options before you go the generator route. Now  after discovering this about downtown hook ups I’m not sure around here I’d ever use a generator.

Hope this helps
Jack

PS On electricity put in way more outlet boxes and a much bigger service than you think you need, you'll never have too many.
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/06 13:44:03
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 13:44:13 (permalink)
Oh yeah...while your stripped down to the studs...why not rough in your wiring to where it need to be? Just like any building? This was done on my truck in the corners where the roof meets the walls and then enclosed in a moulding. Wires were brought down the walls inside the desired area of framing and holes cut in wallboard where needed. All recepticles are flush mounted and wiring is concealed. No need for the conduit. 
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 13:54:34 (permalink)
knifeguy

The buildout on the walls is similar to any building you may be putting together. The only difference is that you have metal "studs" and "exterior Sheathing". Take it down to the "studs", insulate and put up you interior "wallboard". This would be some sort of wood sheathing, probably 1/2". I have a truck that I am also converting and it has what I call "particle board". Your FRP can be put over the sheathing using adhesive. I would not apply any wood behind your "line" since the Fire department has to have the final say on what goes there. My fire department says they require double 5/8 sheetrock. I am trying to get some information on what is done in trailers since sheetrock will not stand the test of time in a moving kitchen. I am hoping that a fire rated insulation and metal (diamond plate) sheathing and then the stainless glued to the diamond plate will be acceptable. Nothing is really flammable so we'll see what we come up with. Can anybody comment on what their trailerwalls have behind their hood system?
You can leave the window in place and cover it if you'd like. I assume that you don't want to get into filling the hole on the exterior of the truck. Paint the back of the panel black and the customer won't know what is there. "Look...A Black Hole!"
I'd go right over the floor with the diamond plate and insulate from underneath. Why build a whole new floor?
My truck has a generator mounted on the undercarriage with a startup switch inside the truck. It's a angle Iron frame mounted to the frame of the truck.  Real nice rig and no lugging. Are you restricted from having something similar. If not, the carrier for the front is viable. Did you ever see the rigs surf fishermen us for carrying there oversized coolers on the front of their trucks.
Are you running everything on 110? Any 12 volt lights with marine batteries and an inverter?
All my lights in the truck are 12 volt. I have 4 marine batteries and an inverter.
I don't see any mention of water. 3 Bay sink and hand sink required in Massachusetts.
I believe all of you wiring is going to have to be enclosed in conduit.

Good luck with you conversion. I'm glad to have found someone going through a similar project.

Hi, good info to add to my growing list. I thank you. I did not mention the sinks, etc because I assume everyone knew they would go in. I mentioned my water pump because I was thinking of everything I could that was electrical

I guess I could try to run my lights and pump with the 12v. My pump was run 12v on my cart so I could do it in the mobile unit. As time goes on I will post pics along the way but right now it is so ugly being gutted that I'm embarrassed lol.

I see it being enough room to mount anything under the truck so I probably will go the front cage mount.
I see your floor point, that's exactly why I was getting feedback. I did not want to rebuild the floor but wanted to ask just to could feedback and opinions. So it looks like unless others chime in with another point that i will just put insulation down on the floor and then diamond plate over top. Does that sound right? The walls strip down as far as I can as in to studs, insulate, put up wood  and then frp. I would just have a section of steel on the wall where my cooking stuff would be.

I don't quite understand your window comment. I don't think I would like the blk whole look. I planned to just leave it there and put insulation over it (windows get cold) and then metal over it to cover it. I would paint the metal to match the truck when done. It would look like those trucks I have seen from the factory that have metal but a kinda circle pattern as in where a window would go if they wanted to put one. Sheet metal kinda look for lack of a better term. I'm sorry but I can't think of the name of the metal if its not called sheet metal. It looks like whats on the outside on cargo mini vans and trailer. It looks just like the metal on the outside of the truck now. I would just get a 3 or 4' section square and cover it and then paint it later when I paint the truck. Since I am stuck in this hotel I will walk outside and snag a pic of the back window I am talking about. See that's another cool thing about having a truck over the trailer I was going to get, I can drive the truck lol. That's what I am driving now :-). Let me walk outside and grab the pic. Here is the huge window that I am going to cover, I can use all that space for lots of stuff.

I can hear the plow guys outside, they decided to make it over here after I already paid for another night. Bastards lol.
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/06 16:47:52
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 15:17:07 (permalink)
knifeguy

This would be some sort of wood sheathing, probably 1/2". I have a truck that I am also converting and it has what I call "particle board". Your FRP can be put over the sheathing using adhesive. I would not apply any wood behind your "line" since the Fire department has to have the final say on what goes there. My fire department says they require double 5/8 sheetrock. I am trying to get some information on what is done in trailers since sheetrock will not stand the test of time in a moving kitchen. I am hoping that a fire rated insulation and metal (diamond plate) sheathing and then the stainless glued to the diamond plate will be acceptable.

Your fire department is reading a building code for a restaurant in a BUILDING. God some zoning and city inspectors would not be able to earn a living if they had any other job. Your truck or trailer is not a building, and those codes do not apply, but they don't likely have any codes for building a mobile food unit so we will force you to use these codes that are for something else.

The double sheetrock code is a BOCA Code (Building Officials and Code Administrators) to stop fire from spreading to the next room. Dumb as a box of rocks, when applied to a truck or trailer unit. But that said you don't need nor would it serve any purpose to double the wall behind your cooking utensils. I would suggest that you suggest to them a metal wall with a 3 inch dead air space between it and the outside skin of your truck body.

What are you using to cover your walls diamond plate or stainless steel?

Man once you go through this with all the inspectors from zoning, fire, and who ever else, the health department people are like a blessing. Most know what they are doing and will work with you on issues.

Jack

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/06 15:44:58
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 15:28:15 (permalink)
That'sMyDawg

I think what knifeguy was talking about was  is leave the window in place, and if necessary paint it black on the inside so you can't see the insulation or anything else from the outside. Then just cover the inside window wall as planned. You'll save a headache and money. From the outside it'll look like a tinted window no big deal.
Jack

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/06 16:33:32
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 15:38:48 (permalink)
My wall covering are FRP except behind the cooking line.
I think that the dead air space is a good suggestion. My walls are 2.5 inces thick as is. If I put some spacers in and brought it out to three, I wouldnt lose anymore space, its an easy fix and like I said before, Nothing is gonna catch on fire back there anyway.

The fix on the window is just like you stated. It'll look tinted and will have a nicer appearance that a patch job.
Thanks for the information.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 16:06:52 (permalink)
Knife guy
First propose 2.5 inch dead space that will work just as well. I'd try not to over build nor use anymore space than I had to. When your going through the building process it looks like you have all the room in the world but down the road you'll wish you could find another half inch. Just go to your building inspector and suggest a 2.5 inch dead air space and then he may want a 3 inch but if he is thoughtful he will ok the 2.5 inch.

Building a mobile food unit is like building a three car garage, when you first open the door and look in you think "OK this is cool plenty of room".

Then a year later your looking for extra storage space because your garage is too small. LOL

Jack

PS California has the most stringent building codes in the country and the most diverse. Most building and fire and safety guys are well aware of this fact. If you run into a jam on something else call one of the step van or trailer builders out there and ask how they handle it. Then you can go back to your building or fire and safety guys and say here is how they do it in California. But if you don't like the answer from the cost don't mention it.

knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 16:10:34 (permalink)
Sorry I didn't address the situation regarding my walls behind the cooking equipment.
Stainless steel is the finish wall. I want to be able to glue that on so that I have a smooth surface for cleaning. No screws etc. The idea of the double wall is to provide some rigidity and backing for the stainless. Because the "studs" are 16" OC and the stainless is not very rigid, I think a diamond plate backing will provide the support as well as a surface to apply the adhesive. It is also the only option I can think of that will provide both of these and remain nonflammable.
Any other suggestion on a backing material or way of installing the Stainless?
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 16:42:28 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

That'sMyDawg

I think what knifeguy was talking about was  is leave the window in place, and if necessary paint it black on the inside so you can't see the insulation or anything else from the outside. Then just cover the inside window wall as planned. You'll save a headache and money. From the outside it'll look like a tinted window no big deal.
Jack

Yeah, now I get it.... I totally get it. Will need to check to see if anyone has a problem with a window not being a window AND because it will look like limo tint I don't want cops pulling me over for it. Here you can't have dark tinted windows so they may think it is tint until I tell them it is not what it seems. It may work and would be much cheaper!  Great idea Mr. Knife lol. psssst, way to clear it up Dr.
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/06 16:46:16
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 16:48:27 (permalink)
Well I used a new material that is made here in Springfield. It's a 1/4 inch plastic sheeting that has the same design as a corrugated box wall, and then a thin sheet of stainless steel glued to the out side. It's neat stuff and not overly expensive.

A lot of the companies that are building giant walk in coolers (big meat companies) are now using this product.

But the guy that invented it and manufactures it is again here in Springfield and he doesn't sell it to Lowes or stores like that. Where do you live, it may or may not be worth the trip to pick up some.

Otherwise I'd buy stainless that was thick enough to be rigid and use stainless steel self taping screws. I used SS screws to mount my stainless in my trailer. If you double the wall your doubleing the weight and expense. In fact check the price, labor, on diamond plate and the thin SS against a thicker SS single wall covering with no diamond plate. I hope you understand that. LOL

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 16:53:34 (permalink)
knifeguy

My wall covering are FRP except behind the cooking line.
I think that the dead air space is a good suggestion. My walls are 2.5 inces thick as is. If I put some spacers in and brought it out to three, I wouldnt lose anymore space, its an easy fix and like I said before, Nothing is gonna catch on fire back there anyway.

The fix on the window is just like you stated. It'll look tinted and will have a nicer appearance that a patch job.
Thanks for the information.

Any suggestions on how to handle a curved roof? As the walls go up to the roof the roof curves down to them sorta like a curved trailer and not like those trailer with flat tops. When you get up to where the roof meets how would you go about getting wood to curve or bow or what ever you call it for the roof? In the middle of the roof its flat so no prob but I have not figured out the edges unless I give up those inches and square it off. I think when I saw a curved trailer roof the inside had some soft panel type stuff up there but I don't know if it had wood under it. I am searching now to find out if it has been touched on.
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/06 16:58:17
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 17:21:00 (permalink)
On your ceiling: pull down the panels and lay them on a sheet of thin SS draw the outline and drill the holes where there were screws holding the roof panels in place. Cut the sheet to the correct size, and put both back up with the same screws. What your doing is using the old ceiling covering for a pattern. Thin metal will bend if done gently to the shape you need.
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 18:38:08 (permalink)
JAck
Do you have the manufacturers name and number?
I could contact him and see about having some shipped out to Massachusetts. What size are the sheets? Approximate $s. I have an 8' line going in with 7.5' cieling.
Thanks
Rich
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1995
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 20:25:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
KG....Here are some pics from my trailer build....Maybe give you an idea.

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 20:34:24 (permalink)
chefbuba

KG....Here are some pics from my trailer build....Maybe give you an idea.

worth a thousand words.

knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 22:07:30 (permalink)
Beautiful! Nice setup. Thanks for the pictures.
THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/06 23:43:08 (permalink)
WOW... I'm totally jealous now... LOL  that's a good lookin set up. I'm halfway to that stage. I opted for a 6x10 enclosed.. vs 6x12. Didn't think 2ft would have made that much more difference, I couldn't have been MORE wrong. I will work with it though, and upgrade down the road. Enclosed definately will give you more options on the menu. TMD you can get some nice flooring at Home Depot, I got the rubber diamond plate flooring in mine. I didn't insulate before laying it down, however I've been in there when it was 20 degrees outside, and it didn't make one bit of difference to me... But I am a cold weather fan.

You couldn't have said it better when you said the snow is a hassle right now. I haven't been able to do any work inside mine for about a month now. I'm so backed up. I guess it goes on the road when it goes on the road. I was shooting for a March deadline, but that just looks impossible at this point.

Good luck with your build man... Love to see some interior pictures

The Wild Dog
" Our Dogs Don't Just Snap, They Bite"
www.thewilddogcart.com
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 09:07:23 (permalink)
Maryland gets pretty warm, ventilation from roof
Hope you get home before Tues nite.
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 15:51:41 (permalink)
Curbside Grill

Maryland gets pretty warm, ventilation from roof
Hope you get home before Tues nite.

I made it back today, I have several appointments Monday that I can't miss.

My unit has an existing vent in the roof now that doubles as an emergency exit so I will probably screen that in and use that for added ventilation. Its a nice sized one so I would just pull the stickers off that reference an emergency exit. I was trying to figure out if I can set up my exhaust thingy that sits on the roof since its already an opening up there. I forget which is which but I'm talking about the round dome thing that's on just about all food trailer roofs. I get that thing and the vent that directly over your stove mixed up. My opening in the roof may be to big for it or the opening may be in the wrong place unless the duck work can be channeled over to the opening. The vent is in the middle of the roof and my cooking options will be along the wall. Will check into how to make it work.

Let me get a few hours sleep, will check in later.

Hey, Wild, I will be posting pics along the way as soon as possible...
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/07 21:18:59
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 19:13:49 (permalink)
Dawg;
You may want to leave the existing vent where it is and install the exhaust fan (that round dome thingy) where it will work the best. Ducting over to the opening could mean added expense and the present vent will provide make up air for the exhaust. (That makeup air might even be a requirement when you get your permits). Also, if that is a legitimate egress, you might not want to block it off.
THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 19:56:47 (permalink)
TMD,

What I've found out with the exhaust fan, You are pretty much limited to 2 real options. The "DOME" fan, or if you look at a custom 650, they have a side vent that is powered by a 12v battery. It runs $220, They also will install their grease hood & exhaust fan for a total of $1100.  These fly in baltimore county, as the home depot cart in 21030 has one, I've been back and forth asking him questions. He's a real nice guy if you ever get down that way to check his set up out.

I can't post any links for another 5 days lol since i haven't been a member for 30 days yet, ( seems like it )
If you go to the classified section here, There was a guy selling one, I think he sold it for 14k... You can see the set up from the link he posted.
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 21:05:26 (permalink)
knifeguy

Dawg;
You may want to leave the existing vent where it is and install the exhaust fan (that round dome thingy) where it will work the best. Ducting over to the opening could mean added expense and the present vent will provide make up air for the exhaust. (That makeup air might even be a requirement when you get your permits). Also, if that is a legitimate egress, you might not want to block it off.

Yeah, I am just kicking around ideas at this point, I just thought to myself, "cool it already has a big ole whole already so one less thing to cut through" ya know? I am speaking with my HD some time Monday and plan to speak with the fire dept people later in the week with a few questions. I popped open the vent when I got back today just to see how it worked and it is pretty cool the way it is and I could see it coming in handy. It is a nicely built opening and is big enough for a person to get out of, hence it being an emergency exit in a prior life. I will grab a pic of it sometime tomorrow, even with ir open a few minutes that freezing air was coming inside so it could provide some nice fresh air. As I mentioned I just need to remove the old stickers. I think the make up air may be a requirement but I am to tired now to go through my paper work to check again and my memories pretty bad. I have a lot of info here scattered about but don't feel like reading or hunting for it tonight.

THE WILD DOG

TMD,

What I've found out with the exhaust fan, You are pretty much limited to 2 real options. The "DOME" fan, or if you look at a custom 650, they have a side vent that is powered by a 12v battery. It runs $220, They also will install their grease hood & exhaust fan for a total of $1100.  These fly in baltimore county, as the home depot cart in 21030 has one, I've been back and forth asking him questions. He's a real nice guy if you ever get down that way to check his set up out.

I can't post any links for another 5 days lol since i haven't been a member for 30 days yet, ( seems like it )
If you go to the classified section here, There was a guy selling one, I think he sold it for 14k... You can see the set up from the link he posted.

Yeah, I have looked at the custom many, many, many times as I was thinking about getting a 650 at a few points. The problem I have with that 650 vent route is that it would be to small for the area I would need it to cover. If I could get it for that price but maybe 5' or so then it would work perfectly. I need to look at it again (I have pics of it in my files from before) to see how wide it is, if I remember correctly it is pretty small because the 650 wasn't big to start with so it didn't need to be very big in there. I will look at that in a few. I have some mechanical issues to take care of first before anything so there is time for me to figure this part of it out. I spoke with that guy you mention was selling one, he sold it.

You say the Home Depot Cart has one? Do you mean the Home Depot trailer? If it is on a cart then I know for sure it is to small for what I want it for.

Side note:
How do people fill the holding tank? With the cart I poured water in the top plug but filling a big tank would take forever. Ever time I look at a trailer pick I never see anything on the outside that looks like a fill valve or something to use a hose to fill so there must be something I'm not seeing. It's probably really simple but I have not seen it yet. Also same for the waist tank, how is the old water removed? Again, I had something I could just carry away in my cart so how do you empty a big tank? I need to incorporate your answers into my build.

Waste- So I'm thinking maybe drill a hole in the floor, run a pipe from the waste tank to the floor with some type of on/off lever or something, clamp a hose to the pipe under the truck and make some type of clip to hold the hose? This idea if it will work would work for camp ground type places, etc. Pull up and just hold hose over the drain dump but what or how do you do it when you would take the water to the commissary? I guess the same principle but maybe I need a portable tote type tank as well. I would grab the portable tank (kind on wheels) and just fill it via the prior mentioned hose. On paper it seems like it would work but I will wait for feedback from RFers. It may be a better or simpler way I don't know of that you mention.

Clean Water- So I'm thinking drill a hole in the side for an on/off valve to attach a fill hose to? Run pipe from that to the clean tank and just attach a hose to fill from outside? Again on paper it seems like it would work BUT if your water comes from a store bottled or from the commissary how would you attach a hose to fill? Probably something I'm missing and just not thinking about but again will wait for feedback. Tanks should be here next week but I wont be ready to work on that part by then, just getting the ducks in order.

Thanks guys.
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/07 21:58:59
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 22:07:02 (permalink)
If you look at the trucks from Armenco in California you'll see a similar hood system and exhaust as in the custom 650, only they have 4 or 5 fans hooked up on their hood system. All of these are 12 Volt and vent out the side of the truck. I have tried to get information on them but all I could get was their offer to build me a unit for my truck. Big money and they want to install in Cali.
If anyone has information on this system being available on the East Coast, please pass it along. The "mushroom" on top of my already 12' truck has me worried and I do not like the look of that style setup. I am also trying to find information on a low-profile fan for the roof.
Also; does anyone have any information on the acceptability of the side vent hood systems with the louvres by the authorities on the East Coast..particularly Massachusetts
lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 23:15:30 (permalink)
Side note:
How do people fill the holding tank? With the cart I poured water in the top plug but filling a big tank would take forever. Ever time I look at a trailer pick I never see anything on the outside that looks like a fill valve or something to use a hose to fill so there must be something I'm not seeing. It's probably really simple but I have not seen it yet. Also same for the waist tank, how is the old water removed? Again, I had something I could just carry away in my cart so how do you empty a big tank? I need to incorporate your answers into my build.

Rv water inlets there are a couple of city water inlets on this page.
We have this one on our RV.  It has a built in check valve to prevent back flow.  You would need one with a back flow device built in or added on.  I also run a 90 degree elbow to prevent the hose kinking.  But that is for a hose that stays hooked up all the time.  Use a drinking water hose (NOT from Wal-Mart... they tend to leak at the fittings) for the water.  Regular garden type hoses may have hose fittings that will leach nasty stuff into your water... like lead.  Our current drinking water hose came from Lowe's.

For our little cart... We put a threaded hose bibb on our waste waste tank.  We hook a garden water hose up and drain the tank.  We are using a tank like this (it was free). I plan to build a custom tank to hang under our trailer later on.  We drain the tank into the sewer system that our RV is hooked up to (we live in a campground).

BUT if your water comes from a store bottled or from the commissary how would you attach a hose to fill?

You can hook up a 12VDC water pump to a 5 gal type water jug.  An alternative is to use a Rocket Pump if you don't mind hand pumping.   In Corpus we had to have water under pressure.  we run two 12VDC Shurflo water pumps  We hold our water in two 5 gallon coolers... one hot, one cold.

I'm in the planning stages for a second mobile kitchen.  We plan to add a pour over coffeemaker.  We will add a dedicated 2088 water pump and an inexpensive water filtration faucet.  It is just for "coffee water".  We will have another 2088 water pump for the fresh water system, 6 gal LP/Electric/Direct Spark Ignition (no pilot light) This is a great water heater... heats up pretty fast... it's the same one I have in the RV. , Rocket Tanks (ABS) for holding fresh water, waste holding tank to hang under the trailer or I build a custom unit. 12VDC Flourescent lights (I'm going with Thin Lites because I used cheapie ones in the RV and they burned out in a matter of months) and maybe some rope lights (we will also have a quiet generator)

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 23:32:02 (permalink)
lornaschinske

Side note:

Rv water inlets there are a couple of city water inlets on this page.
We have this one on our RV.  It has a built in check valve to prevent back flow.  You would need one with a back flow device built in or added on.  I also run a 90 degree elbow to prevent the hose kinking.  But that is for a hose that stays hooked up all the time.  Use a drinking water hose (NOT from Wal-Mart... they tend to leak at the fittings) for the water.  Regular garden type hoses may have hose fittings that will leach nasty stuff into your water... like lead.  Our current drinking water hose came from Lowe's.

For our little cart... We put a threaded hose bibb on our waste waste tank.  We hook a garden water hose up and drain the tank.  We are using a tank like this (it was free). I plan to build a custom tank to hang under our trailer later on.  We drain the tank into the sewer system that our RV is hooked up to (we live in a campground).

BUT if your water comes from a store bottled or from the commissary how would you attach a hose to fill?

You can hook up a 12VDC water pump to a 5 gal type water jug.  An alternative is to use a Rocket Pump if you don't mind hand pumping.   In Corpus we had to have water under pressure.  we run two 12VDC Shurflo water pumps  We hold our water in two 5 gallon coolers... one hot, one cold.

I'm in the planning stages for a second mobile kitchen.  We plan to add a pour over coffeemaker.  We will add a dedicated 2088 water pump and an inexpensive water filtration faucet.  It is just for "coffee water".  We will have another 2088 water pump for the fresh water system, 6 gal LP/Electric/Direct Spark Ignition (no pilot light) This is a great water heater... heats up pretty fast... it's the same one I have in the RV. , Rocket Tanks (ABS) for holding fresh water, waste holding tank to hang under the trailer or I build a custom unit. 12VDC Flourescent lights (I'm going with Thin Lites because I used cheapie ones in the RV and they burned out in a matter of months) and maybe some rope lights (we will also have a quiet generator)

Yeah, I am going to use shurflo pumps because I liked how well it worked on my cart. We have to have under pressure water here too but even if we didn't have to I would do it anyway because I liked it so much. I am probably going to use some 12v lights I found, they have enough candle ft of light for my hd and I don't think they are to expensive. I think four lights are like $60, they are single bulb but bright. I am probably going with 8 total and double the lights up per placement so it will be plenty bright.

Checking the water inlets now. Good info!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/07 23:37:41 (permalink)
knifeguy

JAck
Do you have the manufacturers name and number?
I could contact him and see about having some shipped out to Massachusetts. What size are the sheets? Approximate $s. I have an 8' line going in with 7.5' cieling.
Thanks
Rich

Sorry it took so long to post this, what with SB being this weekend I had an extremely busy week and frankly just came home from the stand Saturday night and ate and crashed. In fact I slept almost all day today didn't even watch the SB. LOL This business especially in the cold winter months is hard on the body. I finally got off my tail and drove out there tonight and here is your answer

Prime Panels is the name of the company and the owner is Tom Nudo (New-doe) 217-789-7898
Custom Laminated Panels. ... Corporate Address - 2651 Colt Road, Springfield, IL 62707 Phone - (217) 789-7898 Toll Free - (800) 990-3468 Fax - (217)789-7897.

The fluted Poly Laminated Panels are what I was talking about I think.I wish he had pictures posted on his internet site which is: http://www.primepanels.com/

Tom goes 100 mph so it may be difficult to get him on the phone we are in the CST time zone I'd sugest an early morning call if you want to catch him and speak with him personally, in fact I'd bet he is in the shop right at 7:00 am our time.  Good luck........... if you need anything else let me know.

Jack
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1