RF meet-up at Carnegie Deli in New York City THREAD BUMP! New date Sunday 11/14/10!!!!!!!!

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2393
2010/02/22 14:38:17 (permalink)

RF meet-up at Carnegie Deli in New York City THREAD BUMP! New date Sunday 11/14/10!!!!!!!!

I was in touch with a certain Mr. Tony Bad this morning and we haven't broken bread together since the NYC Hot Dog Tour a coupld of years ago.  In the interest of remedying that, we thought a meet-up was in order.  I have always wanted to try the Carnegie Deli, but couldn't bring myself to go it alone, despite the dozens of times I have walked past it on the way to work.  My exercise routine can't beat the Roadfood out of my altogether!  We were thinking a Saturday or Sunday might work best. 

I'm available:

SAT 03/06

SUN 03/07

SUN 03/14 - I know there is a South/Central NJ Hot Dog tour happening on the 13th, so this might be a "last option" date.

SAT 03/20

I can think of a few other stops to make if anyone is interested in walking through the city/riding the subways.

The Donut Pub on 14th Street & 7th Avenue - a 24 hr donut shop.  They make what many would consider "traditional" style cake and raised donuts.  Very good.

Leo's Bagels - for me, the best bagels in the city.  Located in the Financial District.

City Bakery - on 18th Street near 6th Avenue for amazingly thick, rich hot chocolate.  Pricey at $4.50 per cup, but I still think it's worth it to drink what to me is like a sinful melted chocolate bar!

Amy Ruth's - on 116th Street in Harlem.  Really, really good soul food.  They have a section of the menu that is just chicken and waffles variations.  An incredible red velvet cake on the dssert menu OR

we could stop by Piece of Chicken, a take-out only soul food place on West 45th Street near 9th Avenue that has good fried chicken, collards, candied yams, etc.  It's all ala carte and most items are $2-3.  

We don't have to hit all of these places or any of them, just wanted to throw them out there.  Lemme know if you're interested and what date is good for you!

billyboy

*************03/12/10 UPDATE********************

I figure we could meet-up at Murray's at 10:00am and then make our way from there. 

The Donut Pub is a short walk from there. 

We can do lunch at 12:00 noon at the Carnegie Deli.  It's in Midtown and a long walk away.  We can take the subway or walk if people are up for it.  I'm good either way. 

If there are any sightseeing/points of interest along the way, I'll try to point them out as we go.

I'll also try to incorporate some pictures of most of these places and their signature foods in this update before the meet-up!

Let me know if you can make it and if you need my cell number.  See you soon!!

1.)  Murray's Bagels (est.2000) - for a classic NYC bagel!
      500 6th Avenue at 13th Street
      New York, NY 10011
      212-462-2830
      Hours:  6:00am to 8:00pm
      Website & Directions:  " target=_blank rel=nofollow>
" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.murraysbagels....lt;/a></font>

Parking:  Not sure???
      Cash & Credit Cards accepted  (there might be a $5 minimum for credit cards)

2.)  The Donut Pub (est.1964) - great 24 hr donut shop.  The raised Sugar Twists, Honey Dipped and chocolate dipped cake donuts are top-drawer!
       203 West 14th Street at 7th Avenue
       New York, NY 10011
       212-929-0126
       Hours:  24 hours
       Directions:  Take 1, 2, or 3 Train to 14th Street - 7th Avenue stop.
       No website - CASH ONLY

[font="'lucida grande'; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; white-space: pre-wrap; "]

3.)  Carnegie Deli (est.1937) - Never been and I eagerly await my first taste of their pastrami!
      854 7th Avenue at 55th Street
      New York, NY 10019
      212-757-2245
      Hours:  6:30am to 4:00am DAILY
      Directions:  N or R Train to 57th Street - 7th Avenue stop.
      Roadfood review:  
http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/2050-2105/carnegie-deli
      "They are not Kosher, but "Kosher-style".  They only take reservations for groups of 15 or more.  They do ship their whole menu.
      CASH ONLY 

4.)  Gem Spa (est. ???) - Excellent NYC Chocolate Egg Cream!  Come in a paper cup instead of a glass.  Very little fanfare, but tastes great!
      131 2nd Avenue near St. Mark's Place
      New York, NY 10003
      212-995-1866
      Hours:  Open 24 hours
      Directions:  6 Train to Astor Place stop.
      No website - CASH ONLY

As an added bonus, Gem Spa is just a few storefronts away from Pommes Frites.  They do offer free samples of 3-4 frites with a choice of sauce if you ask. 

5.)  Ray's (est. 1959) - classic NYC slice.  Some off days, but more days where they are "on"
      27 Prince Street (btw. Mott St. & Elizabeth St.)
      New York, NY 10012
      212-966-1960
      Hours:  12:00 noon to 11:00pm
      Directions:  R, W Train to Prince Street stop.  6 Train to Spring Street stop.  B, D, F, V Train to Broadway-Lafayette Street stop.
      Parking: 
      No website - Cash & Credit Cards accepted ($10 minimum for Credit Cards)

After Ray's, there is a multitude of great eats on the way to and near Vanessa's.  The Doughnut Plant, Katz's, Yonah Schimmel's (which just turned 100 years old in 2010!!), Economy Candy, Essex Street Market, Roni-Sue Chocolates (home of the chocolate covered bacon known as "Pig Candy") and sugar Sweet sunshine Bakery.  And if anyone is really hungry for a true NYC experience, there is usually a hot dog cart to be found almost anywhere in the city, along with nut roaster carts and pretzel carts.  Unfortunately, Kossar's Bialys and The Pickle Guys are closed on Saturdays.

6.)  Vanessa's Dumpling House (est. ???) - My new place to take out-of-town guests.  Cheap, filling dumplings. 
      118 Eldridge Street (btw. Broome St. & Grand St.)
      New York, NY 10002
      212-625-8008
      Hours:  7:30am to 10:00pm
      Directions:  B or D Train to Grand St. stop OR F, J, M, Z Train to Essex St. - Delancey St. stop
      No website
      Cash & Credit Cards accepted ($15 minimum for Credit Cards)

WHAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO BRING:  Cash, comfortable shoes, bottled water.

PARKING:  Not having been a car owner in many years, I can't speak to the availability of parking near any of these shops.  The subway might be the best way to go.

post edited by billyboy - 2010/10/21 13:57:37

101 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1