The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Numero Uno pizza in SoCal

dte3672

• Total Posts: 46
Numero Uno pizza in SoCal Sat, 01/10/04 8:19 PM (permalink)
There used to be a chain of pizza restaurants in SoCal when I lived there in the late 1970's . That pizza had the best buttery flavorful crust of any pizza I ever tried. Does anyone know of a GOOD copycat recipe or another brand/restaurant that is similar in taste?

itsonlyme28

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Numero Uno pizza in SoCal Fri, 02/6/04 3:31 PM (permalink)
    Big fan of Numero Uno here too!!! Eat way too much of it when i visit Cali. Tonight i'll be trying the copycat recipe at the following link: http://pizzatherapy.com/newssepta.htm Don't know if its any good, but its worth a try!

quote:
    Originally posted by dte3672

There used to be a chain of pizza restaurants in SoCal when I lived there in the late 1970's . That pizza had the best buttery flavorful crust of any pizza I ever tried. Does anyone know of a GOOD copycat recipe or another brand/restaurant that is similar in taste?

janettvmaid

• Total Posts: 1
      RE: Numero Uno pizza in SoCal Fri, 04/23/04 10:19 AM (permalink)
      I'm desperately trying to find the recipe for Numero Uno from Southern California too. Tried the recipe from Pizza Therapy. Makes a nice crust, but it is not the Numero Uno we are talking about. Most importantly, it uses cornmeal in the dough and on the bottom like Pizzeria Uno and Numero Uno does not use any cornmeal.

catosaurus

RE: Numero Uno pizza in SoCal Fri, 04/23/04 12:07 PM (permalink)
        The Numero Uno chain still exists in SoCal, but its quality certainly isn't what y'all remember from the 70s. Today's pizza is adequate, but not memorable. One of the problems with it is that it now combines the clean sweet taste of the traditional chunky canned italian tomatoes with a plebian, over-seasoned tomato sauce containing too much of a pre-packaged taste. (What's the source of that "processed" flavor: MSG? Onion powder? I'm not sure, but it overwhelms all other flavors in the pie, and repeats on me with an unpleasant aftertaste.)

Anyway, here's another example of the memory being far superior to the current reality.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com