The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009

MiamiDon

Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Tue, 03/16/10 10:37 AM (permalink)
I found this list and set of web links.  It is really best described as Haute Cuisine Sausages in 10 Geographically-Disparate Big Cities, but I saw that it includes Hot Doug's in Chicago, so maybe some of the others are worth looking into.

Dogmatic in NYC, where they toast a tube-like passage through a mini-baguette, and then sauce and slide your choice of sausage into it piqued my interest.  [paging billyboy...]

Bon Appetit Magazine Best New Places for Hot Dogs
<message edited by MiamiDon on Tue, 03/16/10 11:04 AM>

Mediator

• Total Posts: 11
    Re:Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Tue, 03/16/10 10:46 AM (permalink)
    I love the idea of geographically "desparate" cities--I don't think any of these would qualify.  I'd love to see some recommendations for those of who are truly geographically desparate--like here in St. Louis.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
      Re:Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Tue, 03/16/10 11:02 AM (permalink)
      Hey Don, I've walked by that place many times but haven't been yet.  I may have to report back!  That whole heating system for the bun is very reminiscient of Puka Dogs in Hawaii.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
        Re:Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Tue, 03/16/10 2:08 PM (permalink)
        I'm not sure how Hot Doug's qualifies as "new" in 2009 when it's been around since at least 2000.  Does a place not exist until Bon Appetit says it does?

Brad

hkrall

• Total Posts: 42
          Re:Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Tue, 03/23/10 2:57 PM (permalink)
          Surprised they would pick Dogmatic over Bark in Brooklyn? Tried both recently.

Dogmatic was good but it's technically not a hot dog, I guess it's easier to write about in 2 sentences.

Bark is - regardless of how you might feel about the idea of gourmet/locavore/yuppie/boutique hot dogs - insanely impressive, their dogs look beautiful, almost unreal, and for all the fanciness, do it right and stick to the classics for the most part.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
            Re:Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Tue, 03/23/10 7:33 PM (permalink)
            Bark wasn't included in all probability because they opened in the middle of August last year, while the issue of Bon Appetit was dated Aug 09. So it hit newstands before Bark opened.

I haven't been to Bark, but I did have the exact same beef/pork dog served there. I've spoken to the owners and I know someone who works at Hartmann's, who makes this frank. It is 6 to a lb with natural casing and is easily one of the 5 or so best dogs I've sampled in this style. It is made by a sausage maker who learned his trade in Austria. It has a rich, smokey flavor and is great with just mustard.

Although they have homemade toppings and condiments such as oak aged sauerkraut and Nueske smoked bacon, it would be a shame to cover up the great flavor of this dog with stuff that would be better on the side in my opinion. The griddle is covered with a lard butter. I would say that the only commercial dog that is as good or better (in the German beef/pork style) would be Thumann's. There are a few dogs from small butcher shops that compare.

The dogs are overpriced. $4.25 for a 6 to a lb dog plain. And up to $6.25 with toppings. My suggestion would be to go to your local Wegmans and pick up a pound for $6.00 and change.

hkrall

• Total Posts: 42
              Re:Bon Appetit 10 Best New Places for Hot Dogs 2009 Wed, 03/24/10 3:53 PM (permalink)
              Whoops I didn't realize that.. (article / Bark opening Timeline)

Yeah Bark is a bit overpriced.. it's really more of an "upscale hot dog boutique" than a "hot dog joint" which is probably off-putting to some folks. But they stick to the program more than some of the other "haute" dogs out there, (no raspberry - wasabi cream cheese dogs here) and seem to have done their homework on HD history and sourced some really good ingredients... worth trying but I wouldn't go there every day. 

Also if you are a fan of Top-Split New England buns it's probably one of the few (any others??) places that use them that far south... they toast them, hopefully in the same lard butter the dogs are cooked in.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com