Buffalo (NY) fish fries

Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2010/03/20 10:43:25 (permalink)

Buffalo (NY) fish fries

A couple of threads have inspired me to pay more attention to the wonder that is the Buffalo fish fry (no, not some demented version of chicken-fried steak wherein you fry Buffalo meat to look like fish).  The Pittsburgh fish sandwich thread and the Lenten fish fry thread are the ones that set me on the quest.  Here we are blessed with a large number of places to find fish, someplaces only on Friday and other ones all week long.

Last night we started at what might be considered an unlikely location:

"Anderson's?" you might say with some skepticism.  Veteran Roadfooders know that Anderson's has a great selection of ice cream, rivalled perhaps only by Abbott's for its creaminess, smoothness, and selection of flavors.  We also know that it has a very good roast beef sandwich if your tastes run toward thin roast beef instead of the thicker (and equally delicious) slices found at Schwabl's.  But as the sign says, Anderson's serves a fish fry on Fridays.

So how good is the fish?  After all, many restaurants serve fish fries, and not all is worth eating.

We went to the flagship location on Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda on a relatively warm evening, with the snow all melted away.  Below is what you can get for $9.00:

The meal consists of a large piece of haddock with a light coating, not overly heavy but still crunchy.  Underneath the fish is a mound of curly fries, although you can replace them with potato salad.  Lemon, cole slaw, tartar sauce, and a piece of seeded rye bread (hidden in the back) complete the meal.

The fish was perfectly cooked, not overdone, and had a light flavor typical of haddock.  It did have enough flavor that you can eat it without the tartar sauce or ketchup.  In other words, it was not so light in flavor as to be tasteless, but it did not have a "fishy" flavor.

We probably could have split one dinner instead of having a meal each, because the size of the dinner makes it hard to find room for ice cream or a trip across Sheridan Drive for a Ted's hot dog.  However, there is always room for ice cream.

It was a very good fish fry and a good start, and I'll post updates from other places.  I'd be curious to hear recommendations and comments from anyone who has been to the other places around here.
post edited by Buffalo Tarheel - 2010/04/06 19:34:04

24 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1