The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rochester, NY

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
Rochester, NY Mon, 03/22/10 10:02 AM (permalink)
Unfortunately, I have no pics.  But, I do have some links that provide pics.

I was in Rochester, NY this past weekend as conductor of the Monroe County All County Elementary Band. It was a blast. And, I had a few places where I was taken to eat that were great and I want to share them with you.

For lunch one day, my host teacher took me to Palermo's Meat & Food Market: 2332 Culver Road, Rochester, NY

It's a deli and Italian market, with fine breads, deli meat, cheeses, imported goods and sundries. There's a large rustic table to sit at if eating in the market, which we did. I had the Italian Meats sub. I'm not even sure what meats are in there, but definately high quality meats including prosciutto, hard salami,  etc.

Here's a link for more info: http://rocwiki.org/Palermo's_Meat_and_Food_Market

-----------------------------------------------------------

I had a hearty Cobb Salad in Mulconry's Irish Pub in Fairport, NY.From their menu:
Cobb Salad
Grilled chicken breast, sliced black olives, bacon, tomato, hardboiled egg, shredded cheddar cheese and diced red onion served over salad greens with your choice of dressing..................$9.5

This salad was large and loaded with crisp thick bacon pieces, the grilled chicken had been marinated -so it was juicy and flavorful, lots of diced fresh tomatos, and the other toppings in perfect balance. I had the vinagrette on the side (all of their dressings come on the side) and was a nice complement to the salad.

http://www.mulconrys.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday Night the Monroe County School Music Association paid for the visiting conductors' and hosts' dinners. We chose another Fairport Irish Pub: Donnelly's Public House.

It was Friday, so they had their Fish Fry special. I had the broiled haddock. We also got the sampler appetizer for the table. The jalapeno poppers were large and cheesy. But for the most part, the finger food stuff seemed like it was the frozen kind.

BUT!!!! The fresh broiled haddock was out this world good. Soft, flakey, succulent. Cooked perfectly, the fish seemd to melt in my mouth. They had broiled it with some nice seasonings that enhanced the fish in a subtle way.

The prices were more than fair. 5 adults, 4 of us had 3 beers each, there were the appetizers, plus a kids meal (for my host's 3 year old), a mocktail (for the one adult who was pregnant and not drinking beer) and 5 dinners with tip was $120. You cannot do that in DC,  for sure!

For more information on Donnelly's: http://rocwiki.org/Donnelly's_Public_House
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, a fantastic trip. My host family (whom I went to college with both my host and his wife) made some nice meals at home too. I have some new recipes to add into my usual rotation. If I get time, I'll post some of those recipes (which she says she got from Rachel Ray and tailored them for her family).

<message edited by Scorereader on Mon, 03/22/10 10:50 AM>

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
    Re:Rochester, NY Fri, 03/26/10 5:09 PM (permalink)
    it's times like this I miss berndog he knew all the best Rochacha places.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
      Re:Rochester, NY Fri, 03/26/10 5:20 PM (permalink)
      Must have been some band -- with the Eastman school in Rochester, I'd think some (most?) of the students' parents are good musicians.

Glad you had some good food, too.  I remember having very good fish and Italian (red sauce) food when I lived in Rochester from 1979-81.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com