Chef's Hot Dogs in Newington, CT

Author
Luvthemdogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2010/03/27 13:12:03 (permalink)

Chef's Hot Dogs in Newington, CT

FINALLY, a new hot dog place in the Hartford region. Since Rosco's closed, I've been forced with the same ol...

This place just opened this week on Willard (?) Road in Newington. I passed it driving the back way to the Berlin Tpke. Its behind the 7-11 where the old Pizza Barn used to be.

Before I review, I always qualify - I am a true afficianado. I am objective and not stuck on a certain brand of dog, etc... Favorites in CT included Rosco's before they closed, Super Duper Weenie, the Glenwood.

Prices are a little steep. The dog itself is smaller (5") all beef dog, I believe, out of Mass. New England butter grilled roll and dog is grilled too. I had a plain, chili/cheese and pastrami and swiss dog. The chili was just OK. I am not a fan of sweeter chilli. You can tell its homemade and not from a can which is good, I just wasn't a fan of the flavor. The pastrami/swiss dog was phenominal. Pastrami was lean, hot and draped over the dog with gooey swiss layered on top. The dog itself was a good all beef dog with NO aftertaste. It was just a little small for the $2.99 price.

The real kicker here, though, is their condiment bar. I literally stood by the bar trying every condiment on each bite. Probably 30 different choices, from a homemade sauerkraut to about 8 homemade relishes. Grilled onions, raw onions, several different types of peppers, from jalapeno's to roasted to a green pepper relish, a firey sauce mustard concoction that was out of this world, tomatoes, pickle spears, etc... All of them were great.

The fries were real potato wedges, hand cut and fried. The burgers were fresh patties that were hand formed in front of you.

It was pricey for the size of the dog, but I liked the family atmosphere, very clean and effort and care the owner put into the condiments on how he cooks. Truly a "chef".

Definitely worth a try for the locals. I'm interested in other's opinions. 

5 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1