Any Barista's ? Frozen Frappuccino Question

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/03/29 16:32:05 (permalink)

Any Barista's ? Frozen Frappuccino Question

My Dad's in his 80's with a lot of medical conditions. Caffiene sensitivity and lactose intolerance among them. One of the things that we try to do is either let him have something he shouldn't have once in a while as a treat. Unfortunately, caffinated coffee isn't one of those things that we can let slip. He's been hankering for a Caramel Frappuccino. That should be easy enough to do with decaffinated coffee and Lactaid milk with Splenda. Problem is the clone recipe books and websites virtually all parrot each other or introduce ingredients that aren't in the drink from what I remember like ice cream or desert toppings.

I haven't had one for a few years, but I don't recall milk being added to a Caramel Frappucino as virtually all clone recipes call for. Many call for the addition of caramel ice cream syrup topping. Again, I only recall that being squirted on the inside of the cup and on the top of the whipped cream. I do recall them using a clear,thin, caramel syrup pumped from a container that's like a cordial similar to the Italia D'Oro type clear syrups that you can buy in a liquor or coffee shop for additions to drinks. Clone soures cite double strength coffee or espresso as a subsitute. I know my Cuban coffee and the taste of that espresso, but not Italian roasts, so I can't rule espresso out, but there is certainly nothing that tastes even remotely to the Cuban style espresso that I know and drink daily.

From what I recall:

1,They first pour in the coffee blend from a pitcher in a cooler.
2, Add a scoop or so of crushed ice.
3, Add a few pumps of the clear syrup
4, Blend

Meanwhile they spritz the inside of the cup with a thick, caramel ice cream-like topping for effect. Pour in the blended drink, and top with whipped cream and again drizzle the thick caramel over the cream for presentation. No visible milk added from my recollection.

So my question is this. Is there any milk in the Caramel Frappuccino?
What's in the coffee blend? Is it double strength coffee? Espresso? Blend of either and milk? Sugar?

Starbucks website lists a figure of 3.5 g of fat and 5g protien for the 'Frapp. w/o whipped cream for a "Grande". None of the above will add protien or fat to the drink unless there must be milk hidden somewhere like the coffee blend.

Any professional or first-hand knowledge? 
post edited by DawnT - 2010/03/29 16:35:50

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1