The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed

mac7273

• Total Posts: 1
Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Sun, 04/4/10 10:20 PM (permalink)
After watching many shows on Travel channel about chicago deep dish pizza. I finally made it up to chicago this past weekend and went to Giordano's. We ordered a peperoni and sausage deep dish. The crust was like cardboard, before I got to my second piece of pizza the sauce was all dried up and the sausage did not have any flavor. I was thinking about the returaunt after I left and was wondering if Giordano's quality has gone down since the popularity of chicago deep dish pizza. I was watching the cooks make the pizza and they use a machine to roll out the dough. I should have know then to leave! I just wanted to put this story out and see if anyone else has had the same experience.  Oh yeah we did order the garlic cheese and tomato bread which was excellent. And I did notice the people who ordered the thin crust pizza the cheese looked yellow. I wonder if there using a good quality mozzarella cheese?
Mike

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
    Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/5/10 9:40 AM (permalink)
    Giordano's does not do a deep dish

They do stuffed pizza

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
      Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/5/10 11:42 AM (permalink)
      1) TJ is correct

2) Mike, which Giordano's did you go to?  There are quite a few in the Chicagoland area.

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
        Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/5/10 12:52 PM (permalink)
        We've been going to Giordano's for years and have always enjoyed their stuffed pizza. Their thin is good too, but the stuffed is what keeps us coming back.

Sundancer7

Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/5/10 2:11 PM (permalink)
          since I usually stay close to the airport, the Giordano's I visit is in Rosemont.  I always get their stuffed pizza although it takes a while to get it.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN 

irishtom29

• Total Posts: 19
            Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/26/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
            In 1979  we were doing a blast furnace reline in a mill on the East Side (yes, Chicago has a East Side) and one day we got pizza from Giordano's down there. I got sick as a dog and had to spend the rest of the day curled up in the Bussel pipe. Never again.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
              Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/26/10 12:09 PM (permalink)
              Living in NYC, I'm not familiar with the differences between deep-dish vs. stuffed Chicago style pizzas.  Could those of you "in the know" elaborate on them?  Thanks!

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/26/10 12:51 PM (permalink)
                billyboy

Living in NYC, I'm not familiar with the differences between deep-dish vs. stuffed Chicago style pizzas.  Could those of you "in the know" elaborate on them?  Thanks!

Wikipedia has an article (with pictures) that may help you:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Under their section titled Stuffed Pizza":
                "By the mid-1970s, two Chicago chains, Nancy's Pizza, founded by Rocco Palese, and Giordano's Pizza began experimenting with deep dish pizza and created the stuffed pizza. Palese based his creation on his mother's recipe for scarciedda, an Italian Easter pie from his hometown of Potenza. The Giordano brothers worked for Palese as cooks and split off on their own in the early 70's. Chicago Magazine articles featuring Nancy's Pizza and Giordano's stuffed pizza popularized the dish.

Stuffed pizzas are often even taller than deep-dish pizzas, but otherwise, it can be hard to see the difference until it is cut into. A stuffed pizza generally has much higher topping density than any other type of pizza. As with deep-dish pizza, a thin layer of dough forms a bowl in a high-sided pan and the toppings and cheese are added. Then, an additional layer of dough goes on top and is pressed to the sides of the bottom crust.

At this stage, the thin dough top has a rounded, domed appearance. Pizza makers often tear a small hole in the top of the "lid" to allow air and steam to escape while cooking, so that the pizza does not explode and injure the pizza maker, and also to allow the sauce to permeate the pie. Pizza sauce is ladled over the top crust and the pizza is baked."

(emphasis added)

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4077
                  Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/26/10 2:17 PM (permalink)
                  It should be noted that  Nancy's makes an infinitely better stuffed pizza than Giordano's.  Another excellent version of the stuffed pie is Suparossa.

TJ Jackson and collinf, while you are right that Giordano's is (rightly or wrongly) best known for their stuffed pizza, they also make a thin pizza as well.  I thought that at one time they also made a classic Chicago style pan pizza, but I can find no current evidence of that.

As for Chicago's best Pizza-In-the-Pan, a strong case can be made for Burt's Place in Morton Grove.  Full disclosure ethics force me to happily say I have a peronal bias and interest in this place.  Overwhelmingly positive comments from the public bolster that bias.

Buddy

Nancy's
                  Approximately 20 Chicagoland locations

Suparossa (Main location)
                  4242 North Central Avenue
                  Chicago, IL  60634
                  (773) 736-9009

Burt's Place (One, and only one location)
                  8541 Ferris Avenue
                  Morton Grove, IL 60053
                  (847) 965-7997

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
                    Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/26/10 3:07 PM (permalink)
                    BuddyRoadhouse

they also make a thin pizza as well

Absolutely

I only meant that they did a stuffed, not a deep dish -- did not intend to imply that a stuffed is all they do

ChiTownDiner

Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Mon, 04/26/10 5:56 PM (permalink)
                      I second each and every comment of Buddy's and find that I enjoy Nancy's stuffed the best and Burt's and Lou Malnati's best for deep dish.

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
                        Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Tue, 04/27/10 2:11 PM (permalink)
                        BuddyRoadhouse

TJ Jackson and collinf, while you are right that Giordano's is (rightly or wrongly) best known for their stuffed pizza, they also make a thin pizza as well.  Buddy

That is true.  I've nevery tried their thin crust, but have had no complaints about the stuffed pizzas at the Giordano's locations I've been to.

Also, agree with your comments about Burt's Place.

trainutlen

• Total Posts: 10
                          Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Tue, 04/27/10 3:38 PM (permalink)
                          You really should have gone to Bacino's in Lincoln Park or any Lou Malantis

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                            Re:Giordano's, I was pretty disappointed Tue, 04/27/10 11:00 PM (permalink)
                            I hated Lou Malanti's.  I love Uno's/Due everytime I go to Chicago.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com