The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

East Coast Research Trips

DirtDude

• Total Posts: 161
East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 5:35 PM (permalink)
My friends bought me the Roadfood guide in 2006, and I am finally getting around to participating more on the website. I have to travel up and down the East Coast (MD to FLA) doing wetlands research, and my Roadfood guide is indispensable. So I will post some of the officially sanctioned and non-sanctioned sites I have gotten to. Some of these are from the past summer, and nothing is in order right now.

To start with, from my home state, was St. Mary's Landing. Instead of returning on I-95, I took 301, which was a lot less stressful.

They had a breakfast buffet going, and boy was I tempted. But I opted for the stuffed ham, which was definitly spicy for a breakfast dish. Can't beat those biscuits though, don't they look perfect?

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 5:42 PM (permalink)

While measuring nitrous oxide in North Carolina wetlands, don't forget to stop by Parkers in Wilson. I felt so at home in this place, this is one I really recommend. Its not to far off I-95 if you are passing by, it looks like most roadfooders get to this one easily though.

I loved the potatoes and Brunswick stew. Really what is nice about this bbq spot is that they have limited choices. So I think they do a better job cooking each one, unlike those giant buffets that are around me right now.

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 5:46 PM (permalink)
      This was a cool little joint, and I really loved Macon, GA.

Nu-Way was just a typical chilli dog, but I could see myself here often if I worked around downtown Macon. Instead I hit the road and kept heading towards home. This trip was back in November, 2009.

Sitting on my truck glove compartment, and soon to slip off leaving a mess everywhere. I salvaged what I could.

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 5:52 PM (permalink)
        Heading out to the Pocosin Lakes Refuge, I was able to stop at the Cypress Grill in Jamesville during the herring season.

Unfortunately I couldn't resist trying the rockfish and wasn't too impressed. Yes, I should have gotten the herring. Anyway, here was the rockin' pie I did have! Look at that baby blue table cloth!

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 5:56 PM (permalink)
          This was on the same trip as Nu-Way, I told you I would be out of order. If travelling down I-75 you can drop in here near Tifton, GA. They had some really interesting sandwhiches, I wish I could actually remember what they were. Oh well.

I was feeling fat, so I got two sides of coleslaw. Really I wanted just one side, but they misunderstood my Yankee accent I guess. Them ribs was a good eatin'! They fell off the bone like me on a motorcycle.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
            Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 6:02 PM (permalink)
            Nice job!

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 6:03 PM (permalink)
              Another non-sanctioned Roadfood site. Ever been to Canal Point, FL to measure nitrous oxide emissions from sugar cane plots? No? Well I had too last week and I finally had some gator. This was in Pahokie, FL, right down the road from the research station. Not much going on there, but they also have turtle on the menu. But I think they were messing with me, every time I called they were out. Still, I finally had some gator.

Coleslaw, hush puppies, beans, and fried, fried gator. That stuff is so sweet tasting, it is better than chicken. Someone start a Florida Fried Gator fast food chain and bring one up to SC. What, no takers?

Well, thats all I got to upload right now. I don't want to hog bandwidth since I finally started particpating on here.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 7:15 PM (permalink)
                Great Photos. Are there still the two camps in Wilson: those who prefer Parker's and those who prefer Bill's (Bill Ellis)?

seatown76

• Total Posts: 379
                  Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 7:28 PM (permalink)
                  Very nice report! Keep em' coming!

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                    Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 7:30 PM (permalink)
                      Welcome! Thanks for the pics. of so many old (long-lived?!) Rf stops... I am SO intrigued by the stuffed ham.    I so rarely even consider the THOUGHT of nitrous oxide in wetlands! shame on me. Thank goodness you are on the ball!  

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                      Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 10:01 PM (permalink)
                      Great report, Dirt Dude! Thanks for the tips---i put a couple in my "have to try these when im close" file!

zaxbysfan

• Total Posts: 2
                        Re:East Coast Research Trips Sat, 04/17/10 10:31 PM (permalink)
                        I live on the Outer Banks and I love Parker's!  It makes me hungry right now looking at the pictures you posted.  Hope you enjoyed it!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                          Re:East Coast Research Trips Sun, 04/18/10 12:29 AM (permalink)
                          All those new places definitely qualify as Roadfood!
                          My recollection of Nitrous Oxide was its use as laughing gas with Dentists.

Did a little homework. Didn't realize how harmful it is! A Jeckell & Hyde thing! Nitrous oxide is also a major greenhouse gas and air pollutant. Considered over a 100 year period, it has 298 times more impact per unit weight than carbon dioxide.[1]

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sun, 04/18/10 4:27 PM (permalink)
                            Foodbme

All those new places definitely qualify as Roadfood!
                            My recollection of Nitrous Oxide was its use as laughing gas with Dentists.

Did a little homework. Didn't realize how harmful it is! A Jeckell & Hyde thing! Nitrous oxide is also a major and . Considered over a 100 year period, it has 298 times more impact per unit weight than .

Nice job on the homework. That is why we are out measuring it.

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Sun, 04/18/10 4:30 PM (permalink)
                              David_NYC

Great Photos. Are there still the two camps in Wilson: those who prefer Parker's and those who prefer Bill's (Bill Ellis)?

David_NYC-

Somebody was discussing that with me when I was up there, so I think you are correct. There is some kind of bbq festival in Columbia, SC coming up, so maybe I can solve for myself who makes the best pulled pork down here.

Tony Bad

Re:East Coast Research Trips Mon, 04/19/10 7:42 AM (permalink)
                                DirtDude

Well, thats all I got to upload right now. I don't want to hog bandwidth since I finally started particpating on here.

Hog the bandwidth...please hog the bandwidth!

Thanks for your posts. We need more like them! Hope to see plenty more and don't worry about too many pictures either...they are great. 

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                  Re:East Coast Research Trips Mon, 04/19/10 10:04 AM (permalink)
                                  Welcome to Roadfood DirtDude--as Foodbme already explained, you absolutely don't have to limit yourself to the 'sanctioned' places.  There are so many of these places and they can have such a tumultuous time staying open that everybody's eyes and ears are well needed to let other folks know what to check out.  Looks like you have a great eye! 

Incidentally, there's also the Rosewood Crawfish festival coming up in Columbia, maybe next weekend?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                    Re:East Coast Research Trips Mon, 04/19/10 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                    Tony Bad

DirtDude

Hog the bandwidth...please hog the bandwidth!
                                    Thanks for your posts. We need more like them! Hope to see plenty more and don't worry about too many pictures either...they are great. 

Hey, You told me to curb my pictures/posts because we were running out of space

DirtDude, Good stuff!

TnTinCT

Re:East Coast Research Trips Mon, 04/19/10 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                      great review and pics, thanks for sharing!

Tony Bad

Re:East Coast Research Trips Mon, 04/19/10 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                        joerogo

Hey, You told me to curb my pictures/posts because we were running out of space

DirtDude, Good stuff!

That is because all YOUR pictures had you in them. Couldn't even see the food in some!

mentaldiet

• Total Posts: 2
                                          Re:East Coast Research Trips Tue, 04/27/10 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                          Spending two days in Charleston SC and Savannah GA in mid May, what do you recommend?

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Mon, 06/20/11 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                            After 2 years I finally finished sampling for this East Coast project. I never got around to adding things as I went along, so I will just do it now that I am finished. I have been working in NC, VA, MD, and DE, so that is where all the photos will come from. I have to go out into the country most of the time to collect soil samples, so thats where most of these places will be.

I will go ahead and post some from North Carolina:

Starting with the Rivers Edge in Jamesville, NC. It is right next to the Cypress Grill, which is reviewed by the Sterns already. I showed up right when they opened, so I was the only car in the lot. You can see the Roanoke River right there in the background, and there is a boat launch as well. They are only open during the herring season, and I think I just made it in time. The owner told me that she does a Sunday buffet, and it usually gets crowded. But I was the only person eating there that day.

This was supposed to be one of the smaller plates? But you know how they do it down here in the south, you are not allowed to leave hungry. The herring was all out, so I ordered the flounder, some fried okra, hush puppies, and boiled potatoes. That is sweet tea back there, the scourge of my dentist. The owner came out to talk to me for a while, and when I said I had missed the herring season, she went to the back and brought me out one of the last pieces she had. It was excellent, so I am glad I did not miss out on it. Definitely try and hit this place when they still have herring.

I forgot to take a picture of the next place Harris Seafood, which is right near Lake Mattamuskeet in eastern North Carolina. It is one of the very few restaurants around this area. I went all out and ordered the crab stuffed flounder, lima beans, potato, and cornbread in an extra large basket. I can't eat corn bread unless they put it in an extra large basket, they were kind enough to oblige me. I have eaten here three times, and I have enjoyed my meal. But you really have very few choices when way out here!!!!!!

Well of course I had the pie, like, duh. Why did you even ask???????

Here is one you roadfood veterans will recognize, Bunns BBQ, in Windsor, NC. This is in Bertie County, NC, and all I can say is that these are the nicest people I have met on the road. They actually recognized me two months later when I came in again. But it helps when you have a camera with you. I think the BBQ is great, but I am not really picky. NC in general does a good job with their Q.

The cornbread in Eastern NC is interesting, its often thin and hard compared to other places. Its good, but not my favorite kind. They love it that way out here, or they may have never tried it any other way. The coleslaw is good, but its got a bitter taste to it, but its good to try it different ways! 

Right up the road is the farm store where you can get Bertie County Peanuts. I have everyone hooked on the Ghost Pepper Peanuts here in Florence, SC.
                                            http://www.pnuts.net/?gcl...roDhxakCFct95QodrSgNgg

I cannot tell a lie, this is fast food. Its the Cook Out burger. I eat these things all the time. Exit 20, 97, 121 on I95. At least I think those are the exits. There are a few more. Man, I want one right now.

This is Captain Bobs in Hertford, NC. I usally hit this one as I am headed towards Dover, DE. I get tired of I-95 and DC, so I take this route sometimes. Its much more relaxing. This place is good, lots of choices, but nothing special. They look like they may have a great buffet, but I usually just miss it.

So there is some pretty standard fried flounder, along with potatoes and hush puppies. And that flat cake is cornbread, I told you they love it that way here. This one was really tough to eat, so go with the hush puppies if you have a choice.

This photo is from the Feedlot in Engleside, NC (or near that town). Again, I forgot to photograph the actual building. This is near Lake Mattamuskeet, on the south side, while Harris Seafood was on the north side. I thought the food was excellent, they even had a cabinet with pies in it. It was buffet style, I hit it around lunch time. I drove past a month ago though, and they were not open during afternoon hours. Either they are closed, or only open on certain days. Better find a local to tell you, because my work is pretty much done in this area.

So that is all I had from North Carolina from these trips. Other places just weren't good enough to post on here. If you stay in Plymouth, NC, the Mexican restaurant is decent, as well as Mama's Pizza. But never, ever, ever, eat at the Golden Skillet. EVER.

When I get my VA, MD, DE, photos uploaded I will put some more up here. But this post was about all the work I feel like doing, because there is beer in the fridge. Actually, you know what, I'm feeling generous. Here is a picture of a bear cub in Eastern NC.

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Wed, 08/24/11 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                              I guess I forgot to finish this thread, I still have VA, MD, and DE to go. I probably could motivate myself if I only put a few restaurants at a time, rather than the whole state of Virginia.

So I will start with the classic, The Virginia Diner, in Wakefield, VA. I have several sampling sites around the diner. My first visit to the restaurant was in college on a soils field trip. So it holds some cool memories for me.

I have been here several times, usually getting some fried chicken, which is excellent. I also usually try a piece of peanut pie, or something similar, they have plenty of pie to choose from. But I really enjoyed this meatloaf below. I hadn't had homemade meatloaf in a while, and this was also my lunch. So it made for a sleepy afternoon walking around taking soil samples, and I never even ate dinner. But if you are on Hwy 460 and have never stopped in, you should give it a go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hornes is another classic place (for me) in Virginia. Again, its related to some time I spent sampling soils almost 10 years ago. I always wanted to stop and eat, but we had 5 hour drives back and forth every time we came up, and no one wanted to stop. Its off of 301 right around Port Royal, it has a restaurant and gift shop inside.

I tried out the fried quail, never had it before. Really I thought i was over-fried and kind of greasy. It was not my favorite meal, but I will have to try it again someday. At another restaurant probably.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                              The last one I will put up tonight is the Dockside, just south of Franklin, VA. It is a nice little restaurant along the river, I am surprised it makes it out here. There is not much else around.

Dockside looks like a place I really wanted to love, but I didn't. Now I have only been there once, and I imagine other fish dishes are better than what I got. But I started with beer and hushpuppies, and these puppies tasted like the oil they were fried in, all the way through. It was a bit much for me to handle. I like them a little more bread-like.

And the fried softshell crabs below taste exactly how they look, just a whole lot of fried dough. I just could not enjoy them. But I just have this feeling that the fried fish dishes were probably better. I don't want to down the place too much, since I only ate there one time.

Well those are three places I have up right now, I've got a few more from Virginia I will try and get up tomorrow.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                Re:East Coast Research Trips Thu, 08/25/11 3:22 AM (permalink)
                                                Love your eating adventures, and your honesty!

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                                  Re:East Coast Research Trips Thu, 08/25/11 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                  The hard round fried cornbread is the 'johnny cake' or 'jonny cake'.   The simple recipe (Indian/colonies) just cornmeal, salt and boiling water; fried in bacon fat.   Today's cooks might add sugar, milk, butter and self-rising flour so it wouldn't be so hard.

DirtDude

Re:East Coast Research Trips Thu, 08/25/11 8:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    Thanks Ann, I wouldn't want people following in my footsteps if I didn't enjoy it...................

Continuing on the Coastal Plain of Virginia, For Pete's Sake opened up in Courtland while I was sampling there. I know this because I had a hard time finding places to eat in Courtland when I was first there. I have only eaten breakfast here, but I love it. I have eaten there three times and enjoyed it every time. Lots of locals coming in for breakfast, and I believe they have a breakfast buffet on the weekends.

I think what I loved the most was the potatoes, they just reminded me of the kind I grew up with. A little crispy on the outside with onions mixed in there. But everything else on this plate was good as well, from the scrabbled eggs, to the biscuit and fried pork chop. Its a good place in the mornings, I am sure it is for lunch as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving down the road to Franklin, VA, you have Three Guys Italian. The paper mill closed in Franklin recently, so I don;'t know how the town and its restaurants will fare, but I hope this one can stick around. I think for being in a stip mall area, it is suprisingly good. I am not an Italian expert, but in Florence we are lacking in this stuff anyway. I would eat here often if it was in Florence.

I have eaten here a few times, I and got the chicken marsala for a light dinner once. Most people seemed to come in and order pizza with their kids, I never did get to try it. But both Italian dishes I had there were good.

Gosh, I am pretty sure this is the cannelloni, but I took this photo last summer. Or fall. Oh well, I just know it was good.

-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staying in Franklin, VA, but heading to the downtown, you get to Fred's. I like the atmosphere of this place, lots of locals in the evening having dinner or a drink. You can stop in the mornings and get some breakfast and coffee that isn't from McDonald's. Usually I had breakfast the morning I was leaving the area, kind of a treat for all the field work I did in some hot, sticky weather all week.

Here is a photo of the inside, they have a restaurant and bar side. The exposed brick is really nice.

Here is the bar side, I usually sat about the second seat down. Lots of locals in the evenings come in and out.

I tried a couple of their dinners, steak, sandwiches ect. It was all good , but it was really the atmosphere I loved here. The chicken dumplings below were really good, but the mashed potatoes tasted kind of like corn. I don't know if that is something local, but it didn't appeal to me.

But I did love the breakfast there. They had a special biscuit covered in sausage gravy with cheese, hashbrowns, and grits. This was a great breakfast to get the day I was driving back to SC. Always felt good to sit in there with some coffee and finish this off!! They really know their hashbrown potatoes in this area. Never overfried and crispy like i run into in other states.

Alright, next up will be my last VA pics, all from the Eastern Shore as I head up into Delaware to sample more wetlands.

<message edited by DirtDude on Mon, 10/10/11 12:34 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com