Hot Dog Cookers

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/04/25 19:40:33 (permalink)

Hot Dog Cookers

We've made some purchases recently of small kitchen appliances among them a small, 10lb fryer,hot dog cooker,and hot lights.

The hot dog cooker turned out to be one that we couldn't seem to agree on. To many of us, the best tasting hot dog was done different ways. For some of us, the old, spike type rotary broilers with the bun warmer was what we recalled as the best. Others favored the roller type. There's now the basket rotiesseries and other kinds of novel cookers. Sure there's the pot of hot water or split on a griddle and G-d forbid using a microwave, but we ended up going with the roller type which seems to be the favored appliance nowadays. The spike type seems to be rare now and around $700 for a new unit but used to be very common at concession stands and lunch counters. What do many of you consider the best way of cooking a dog for the best flavor?

When I was in college, a very popular method was electrocution. Everything from two forks connected to a opposite ends of an electric cord to units that worked on the same pricipal and took several dogs between spikes on the ends. They made a great tasting dorm room hot dog. You don't see those anymore, but every houseware section had a selection of several different units along with those burger press cookers. Another great device that vanished.  My kids preferred their hot dogs split and done in a cast iron pan. Lot of work for 3 or 4 hot dogs. My dad favors the microwave. All the places that I worked for during college used the roller types. Any other preferences besides hot water?

Deep fry is another story which leads to corn dogs. Don't want to touch that one

14 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1