The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Recent trip to KC

Inthewater

• Total Posts: 129
Recent trip to KC Mon, 05/3/10 11:39 AM (permalink)
Re-post from CHOWHOUND forums about a recent trip.  Not all are "Roadfood" worthy, but a fun trip none-the-less.

Okay, so I am back at home after a fun (though interesting) weekend in KC. We never did make it to Em Chamas, it just didn't fit into our schedule, or what my wife wanted to do. Friday night we went to Tanner's Pub on Antioch Rd in Gladstone. Like it there. Our kind of place, decent food (looked like a huge kitchen), friendly bar staff and good prices on some beer.
Saturday morning, I stopped at the Waffle House just North of our Motel off of I-35 in Gladstone. I had never been, as they don't seem to be up in Iowa, and thought it was pretty decent. I have had better breakfasts, but also much worse. Nice people in there and it was nice and cheap.
I drove down the road to Jaeger's Paintball along Underground Drive and spent the next 6 hours having a blast (hadn't been to this particular paintball venue since about 1996, much nicer now). I emerged from the caves and headed back to our hotel, convieniently placed along the path to the Maple Woods Community College in Gladstone, where I had to pick my wife up. Managed to shower and go get her from the first day of training. She was training a Les Mills Fitness class, which is very draining.
Anyway, were were both hungry and thirsty. we went over to Zona Rosa and tried O'Dowd's. It was okay, but too early (around 6pm) for it to be hoping yet. Not really our kind of scene, lots of yuppies and "rich folk". (Forgot to mention that I had Fish-n-Chips and my wife had grilled salmon and mashed potatoes.  Both scratch made and tasty)We wandered over to the Granite City and had a mug, just because we had never visited another one besides ours in W.DSM.
Stopped back by Tanner's and had a pitcher of beer and headed back to the motel to crash for the night.
Sunday found me alone with nothing to do in KC for the entire day from 8am to 5pm. :) I asked the front desk fellow where a good local diner / restaurant would be to have some grub. he recommended IHOP....naturally, I passed and admonished him for not having any CHOW worthy advice to give.
I rambled around through downtown, and found myself at Mama's 39th St Diner. I had some very good corned beef hash there, and it reminded me of The Waveland Diner in Des Moines. Good stuff, that appeared to be cooked in house.
I deceided to be adventurous and head East on 39th street to hit the Paseo and head north towards Arthur Bryant's, where I planned to have lunch/dinner.
I found myself in a very poor / run down area of KC, that didn't look all that safe. I missed my turn onto the Paseo off of 39th and headed over HWY 71. I immediately turned around and headed back to the Paseo to head North. Half way to 18th St, the Paseo was under construction and I had to take a detour through an even rougher area to get back to a North / South Road.
I finally arrived at AB's and scoped the place out. I decided to head down 18th to Main and go down to the Plaza (as it was still 10:30 or so, and nothing was open around that area yet). I ended up at the Plaza O'Dowd's (much cooler and less W.DSM / Fancy) and had a few pints while chatting with the bartendress. I then walked around a beautiful Sunday morning at the Plaza. Didn't do any shopping, just wandered around people watching.
I headed back over to AB's and had a burnt end sandwich with a side of fries and a small draw of BLVD Pale Ale (one of my favorites). It was very good, even though other places seem to have usurped it as a KC BBQ King, I loved what I had.
I ended up back over by Zona Rosa at about 2:30, and went to a place called Brew Top, where I had another beer or two until 5pm rolled around. Then, the "exciting" 3hr drive back home.
All-in-all a great trip. Thanks for the tips, and hopefully I will have a chance to check out some more places down there someday.
<message edited by Inthewater on Mon, 05/3/10 11:44 AM>

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4714
    Re:Recent trip to KC Thu, 05/6/10 8:57 AM (permalink)
    Thanks for the report.

TnTinCT

Re:Recent trip to KC Thu, 05/6/10 11:33 AM (permalink)
      Our office in KC is near Zona Rosa so am very familiar with the area and have spent a lot of time there. After a trip last year on vacation, discovered that Stroud's is just about 13 miles from there - so that will be next time on my list instead of one of the chains in Zona Rosa!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com