The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 12, messages 1 to 30 of 345
Sundancer7

1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Wed, 01/14/04 3:44 PM (permalink)
THE PHOTO RECORD FOR THE TENNESSEE BBQ TOUR EXPEDITION WILL BE FOUND ON PAGES 7 & 8 OF THIS THREAD.

For your BBQ kings, I found a site that I have attached that is 100% totally roadfood quality and it is as rural as you can get. Two people who really liked BBQ were commissioned by the National Pork Foundation to interview real roadfood BBQ places in rural Tennessee. Click on the site and to get the interviews, look on the left hand side of the page. It appears that most do whole hog. Enjoy

http://www.southernfoodways.com/projects/tnbbq/R00_index.shtml

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
    RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Wed, 01/14/04 4:15 PM (permalink)
    Thanks for the link Sundancer! I know the fellow interviewed for Bill's BBQ in Henderson. My folks are from that area and my grandparents still live about a mile down the road from Billy Frank -- I've known him all my life and he is definitely a throwback (as is my grandfather). Been a family farmer all his life and now barbecues too. His barbecue is good, even though it uses one of those combo cookers. Actually, there are several good barbecue places in the Henderson area, though my favorite is Bobbie's (also interviewed in this article) over on Hwy 100 between Henderson & Jack's Creek.

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Wed, 01/14/04 4:36 PM (permalink)
      I opened each interview on the left and at the bottom of the interview was a good map of their location. I noticed that all of them are in the same general area.

I gotta go there. I want to go to the one where he cooks a whole hog each evening and it is ready the next evening. All of them seem like craftsmen. One of the craftsman being interviewed indicated his customers started coming in at 8:00AM

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Art Deco

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Wed, 01/14/04 6:04 PM (permalink)
        Actually, I am very familiar with that area. I was born just up the road in Jackson and lived in Henderson and Lexington when I was very young. I am kin to about half of Chester County and have eaten at these (and even more rural) barbecue places all my life. I make it down there 4 or 5 times a year, frequency depending on how many weddings or funerals occur within any given year. Always visit on Labor Day (family reunion) and at Christmas...

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 10:53 AM (permalink)
          Pogophiles: Why is there such a concentration of BBQ craftsmen located in that area. I read the interviews and it appeared that each had been in the business for quite some time. It appears that most all specialize in whole hog smoking. I figured that since you were from that area, you would know.

The next time I am in the western part of the state, I think I will drive hwy 100. I have never driven that road and it runs parallel with I-40

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
            RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 11:25 AM (permalink)
            I noted that Ridgewood BBQ is more or less on the way from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach, but my family doesn't much like the sauce(s) used in NC/SC que.

a) Is the sauce used at Ridgewood more of what I'd term a traditional thick tomato based sauce?
            b) Worth a stop for lunch?

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 11:36 AM (permalink)
              TJ: Most people on this forum believe that Ridgewood is one of the better BBQ smokehouses period. I think their sauce is excellent but I am not sure of the composition.

Use you search and you will find on this forum directions. It is a little tricky to find.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 12:19 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I noted that Ridgewood BBQ is more or less on the way from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach, but my family doesn't much like the sauce(s) used in NC/SC que.

a) Is the sauce used at Ridgewood more of what I'd term a traditional thick tomato based sauce?
                b) Worth a stop for lunch?

There are several forums on Ridgewood Barbecue. We've thorougly covered it, Tom, and there's much to read and enjoy. Plus there's directions and an update on hours of operation (as of Jan. 04), so you won't get lost or arrive when they are closed (two grave concerns for anyone coming some distance).

Ridgewood is absolutely worth a visit, and any bbq afficianado who's been there will say so. There are two reviews of Ridgewood under restaurant reviews here on the Web site. And several representative photos (I just posted a new photo a few days ago, but it isn't up).

The sauce does have tomato in it, but is not overly thick. While a little spicy, it is not hot and has some sweetness. I think it's delicious on their pork (they do hams only). This sauce has NO resemblence to the red peppered, salty vinegar sauce of eastern North Carolina or Lexington Dip from the North Carolina Piedmont. I believe this sauce would pass muster with your family and most children.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                  RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 12:49 PM (permalink)
                  Great, thanks Jim....

I remember there being a thread on a Ridgewood family member dying, but not on the restaurant itself...sorry, I'll try to look up the threads you mention here a bit later

Art Deco

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 12:55 PM (permalink)
                    To my tastebuds, the Ridgewood sauce has a lot in common with the sweet sauces of KC...

Sundancer -- I think that area gravitated toward whole-hog barbecue for the same reason (I imagine) that those areas of NC did -- there were a lot of hog farmers in the area (my Grandad was one of them)...

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
                      RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 12:56 PM (permalink)
                      Oh man, this thread, and the website mentioned in Sundancer's post, have inspired me to have BBQ for lunch. Capital Q, my favorite BBQ place in DC, is great, but I've got to find a way to get down to western Tennessee! I fly into Nashville for work on occasion. Maybe I can squeeze out a day on my next visit for a Roadfood side trip!

Art Deco

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 12:58 PM (permalink)
                        Let me know when you're coming rbpalmer...I need to go find and check out Papa KayJoes soon!!

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 1:58 PM (permalink)
                          Pogo and RB: Let me know when you are coming. I would like to visit the area that is discussed on posted website regarding rural Tennessee BBQ

Paul E. Smith
                          Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                            RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 6:00 PM (permalink)
                            Hey, gang, count me in!
                            Paul, you should absolutely take the highway 100 route. Pick it up right there at the Loveless, and keep your eyes open. I've found good food all along that road.

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Fri, 01/16/04 7:25 PM (permalink)
                              Pogophile: Why don't JiminKy, Poverty Pete and the Sundancer do a run in southwestern TN. If interested, please e-mail all. Pogo cannot be reached due to he has not registered.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

JimInKy

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sat, 01/17/04 10:09 AM (permalink)
                                Great idea, Paul. This is important work and I'd like to do my part.

If we launch from The Loveless, we can gain strength from country ham or pan fried chicken and gravy and be strong for all that heavy barbeque lifting.

Actually, I wouldn't care where we start or finish. I think you can count me in.

Poverty Pete

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sat, 01/17/04 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                  It's not merely important, guys, it's essential! We owe it to the other members of this website to make a fair and impartial evaluation of the culinary assets of west-central Tennessee. Think of it as a civic duty.

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sat, 01/17/04 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                    Poverty and Pogo, you know most of the places mentioned on the website. How many of them do you believe we should visit?

JimInKy is pretty insistantthat we start at Loveless and continue west.

I think a Friday afternoon in Nashville and Saturday and a partial Sunday could cover some pretty good territory.

Poverty and Pogo: perhaps you could start some type of agendae?

Whole hog BBQ, here we come. After all it is our roadfood duty.

Thanks,
                                    Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

JimInKy

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 12:42 AM (permalink)
                                      I phoned The Loveless Café tonight to see if they had set a closing date for the planned remodeling. Staff’s been told the restaurant “would close at the end of the month or the first of February.”

The café remains open 7 days a week. Monday through Saturday, the hours are 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The motel is presently not in operation, and work continues on the mail order building next door.

Al, it looks like you kids can have a Loveless breakfast on your way through Tennessee on the 25th. You may still want to phone ahead, as “the end of the month” is pretty vague.

That’s the latest from The Loveless Cafe.

Poverty Pete

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 6:57 AM (permalink)
                                        Even if Loveless is closed, there are great alternatives in the vicinity. Pancake Pantry is only about five miles east, and Pogo's favorite, Beacon Light is maybe six miles west, on highway 100.

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 7:23 AM (permalink)
                                          I have not heard from Pogo?

Poverty, can you tell us about Beacon Light?

I looked it up under Tennessee Restaurant Review but I could find no mention.

I heard from JiminKy and he is excited about the trip. January is booked for me, maybe sometime in February?

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 7:53 AM (permalink)
                                            Thanks, Guys, for the followup. We will be sure to make the stop this time. The day is fast approaching. We have altered our agenda to include a stop in LA at RickF's for the afternoon. It will get us further south as the cold moves down also.

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                              Al: RickF's town is one of the prettiest I have ever seen and it is famous for meat pies. It seems that every restaurant in town sells them. Rick's church is beautiful.

After I visited the town, I had to rent the move "Steel Magnolia's" Rick's church and members were featured. Wonderful tear jerking movie

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                                The Beacon Light is on highway 100, in the hamlet of Bon Aqua. It's open for dinner, but only weekends does it open for breakfast and lunch. I haven't been in yet, but pogo says it's the only place in the region with better country ham than Loveless. He also mentions it whenever he talks about fried chicken. It's definitely on my must-try list.

Art Deco

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 11:43 PM (permalink)
                                                  Sorry guys, I've been offline all weekend. That sounds very doable, though I'm not sure it would take all weekend, if we paced ourselves. The area with the concentration of barbecue joints is about two hours west of Nashville (maybe a bit longer if traveling via Hwy 100). I would thing an agenda could roughly look something like this:

Breakfast at Loveless 8-9
                                                  Drive West to Henderson 9-11
                                                  Visit Henderson barbecue joints 11-2
                                                  Drive to Lexington and hit the ones there 2-4
                                                  Drive back toward Nashville stopping in Centerville 4-6
                                                  Find Papa KayJoes barbecue 6-7
                                                  Beacon Light for Dinner 7-8
                                                  Back to Nashville around 9

If we really paced ourselves, we could cover a lot of ground this way...

Art Deco

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Sun, 01/18/04 11:55 PM (permalink)
                                                    Here's a link to Holly Moore's write-up on the Beacon Light http://www.hollyeats.com/BeaconLight.htm and here is one Kay West did for the Scene a few years ago... http://www.nashvillescene.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?story=Back_Issues:1997:July_10_1997:Food&version=1

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Mon, 01/19/04 5:20 AM (permalink)
                                                      Pogo, that is an agendae: I am not sure if I could eat that many times even if I starved from now until then, whenever then is?

Jim, Poverty and Pogo: Name the date and I am ready. Sometime in February would work for me.

Beacon Light fried chicken sounded good to me.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                                                        • Location: Bucksnort, TN
                                                        RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Mon, 01/19/04 9:02 AM (permalink)

There is a BBQ place in Mason,Tennessee about 20 miles away from memphis called Bozo's BBQ. Bozo's has been around forever. Bozo's is supposed to be a wonderful place to eat.

Of course, there is always Memphis.

Senor

Art Deco

• Location: Nashville, TN
                                                          RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Mon, 01/19/04 10:09 AM (permalink)
                                                          Well, I think the idea would be to try a bit at each of the barbecue places, not to eat a full-blown meal at each. Heck, for that matter we could take a cooler with us, buy a pound or two at each, try some for review/write-up purposes, take some pictures, talk to some folks, and ice down the leftovers for later. On the other hand, it might make more sense to designate one day for West Tennessee barbecue and use a different day for the stuff closer to Nashville. One question that might make this planning easier is: can everybody get off on a Friday?

Sundancer7

RE: 1st Glee Club Meet-2004-Tennessee BBQ Mon, 01/19/04 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                                            Pogo, I can easily get off on a Friday. I went back and reread the entire website I posted at the beginning of this. I wonder how many BBQ places are in the triangle discussed. Whole hog is definately their thing. Some of those folks are artist.

I like the idea of just doing a little bit at each place (their specialty), a little interview, some pics and move on.

I am excited. Now the biggest deal is getting all in sync. I have a colleague that would like to join the parade. It would be really good if we could start in Nashville on a Friday evening for dinner and a little get together. Beacon Light or Loveless would be great and perhaps we could do BBQ all day on Saturday. Perhaps others might wish to make it their que day also. If so notify us and we will let you know more definative plans JiminKy expressed positive interest, Poverty is a go. Getting all on the same page would be the next step.

Poverty, Jim and Pogo, would February 20, 21 and 22 work. Please confirm. If we are lucky Pogo and Poverty will do some planning. I would certainly like to visit some of the ones mentioned on the web site.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 12, messages 1 to 30 of 345

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com