The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Too Much of a Good Thing

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
Too Much of a Good Thing Sat, 05/8/10 6:46 AM (permalink)
Babe Paley said, "You can't be too thin and too rich."
Maybe ice cream can be too rich.

Last weekend I visited the vaunted Penn State University Creamery for the first time.  It was the richest ice cream I've ever had; very low over-run (solid, heavy, almost no air in it) and very high butterfat.  I had the Peachy Paterno.  It was good but the heaviness and the butterfat taste was a bit overwhelming of the vanilla and peach flavors. 

Pennsylvania, especially the Philly area, is big on super-premium ice cream.  Bassett's, a local favorite, operates an ice cream counter in the Reading Terminal Market in Center City Philadelphia (and also sells packaged ice cream to a limited number of shops and "dipping parlors").  Penn State's ice cream is even heavier and richer than Bassett's.  I notice with Bassett's I tend to go for stronger flavors (peanut butter swirl and butterscotch vanilla) which can stand up to the richness of the ice cream. 

The best balance of richness and flavors I've found is Handel's, a franchise outfit with each store making its own ice cream, largely using ingredients (local milk, cream and fruits).  Not quite as rich, not quite as heavy and the flavors, especially fresh fruit flavors really come through.  For example, in my neighborhood, they only sell peach ice cream when the guy can get fresh peaches.  A real treat.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    Re:Too Much of a Good Thing Sat, 05/15/10 2:05 PM (permalink)
    I'm a Handel's fan as well. There's a store 11 miles west of me, and I'm thankful for the drive, as it tends to discourage me from abusing their product.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
      Re:Too Much of a Good Thing Sun, 05/16/10 1:22 PM (permalink)
      The creamiest & richest ice cream I ever had was in Stratford on Avon in England.  It was from an ice cream wagon in a park beside the Avon River.  All of the milk products in England were so rich & creamy.  We had a breakfast buffet at our hotel in London.  What they called "milk" was like half & half in the USA.  The "cream" was so thick that you had to spoon it out of the pitcher. 

We saw very few really overweight adults, but all of the babies & toddlers were chubby.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
        Re:Too Much of a Good Thing Sun, 05/16/10 2:27 PM (permalink)
        claracamille,

I was there in Stratford on Avon! I know what you mean.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
          Re:Too Much of a Good Thing Sun, 06/6/10 3:52 PM (permalink)
          Enginecapt:  Handel's is a little too close to me for comfort (at the end of my block).  Longacre's in Balto, PA is a pretty good distance from me to avoid temptation (and not too far out of the way coming back from a minor league baseball game in Reading).

Super-rich and super-dense ice cream apparently is not good for everything.  Somebody from Vernors (which should be a Roadfood soft drink, if there were such a thing) told me that a "Boston Cooler" (Vernors Ginger Ale with a scoop of ice cream) is best made with the regular-quality supermarket ice cream and not the super premium ice cream.  There seems to be something to that because here again, the high butterfat, dense ice cream can overwhelm the ginger and other flavors (like the hint of cayenne pepper).

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
            Re:Too Much of a Good Thing Sun, 06/6/10 4:03 PM (permalink)
            Damn you. Now I want some Handel's banana cream pie ice cream.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com