Double Damage in the Old Dominion

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7738
2010/05/16 22:49:10 (permalink)

Double Damage in the Old Dominion

I've been planning on a  return visit  to Richmond Virginia for quite some time. Due to circumstances that are apparently no longer relevant, last weekend was the perfect opportunity to spend a four day weekend in the Old Dominion.

Friday May 7

I had an early flight out of TF Green with a quick layover in Baltimore. I landed in Norfolk , got my rental car and was on the road
heading to Richmond by 10 AM.

My first destination was a roadfood spot mentioned on numerous occasions by Wheregreggeats

Stuart's Fresh Catch

a takeout only seafood market  also serving as a very popular lunch spot right on Mechanicsville Pike in Richmond...

I knew I knew I wanted fried fish but the menu overwhelmed me. The lady behind the counter recommended Spot but warned me that there would be bones in the fish.

The meal comes with two sides and a choice of hushpuppies or spoon bread. Well apparently Stuart's is known for their spoon bread, so the decision was easy..

I decided to get cabbage and fried okra with my meal.

The spoon bread was definitely the star of the meal. A little sweeter than what I've had in the past, for those not familiar with spoon bread, think biscuits in a thick, firm pudding form.

The lady behind the counter wasn't joking when she said there would be bones in the fish. The spot would have been much more enjoyable had it been deboned prior to frying. If I ever return, I would try the lake trout or whiting next time since that is served boneless. The cabbage was quite peppery and the fried okra was good.

Although eating in my rental car  didn't help, this could have been a great meal, if it wasn't for all of the fish bones.

After lunch, I had all afternoon to explore and being the history buff that I am, I decided to check out

The Cold Harbor Battlefield.

This is where Lee managed to Stall Grant and the Union army's progress towards Richmond

You can tour by car, or walk the trail. Of course I decided to walk the trail since it was a beautiful warm afternoon.

After getting lost on the trail, I ended up walking alot more than I anticipated in order to get back to the park entrance.
I then drove up the road to the Garthright House

apparently this house also served as a field hospital. Unfortunately there was no entry allowed into the house itself.

I then drove towards Richmond  and stopped at the Diamond

Former Home of the Richmond Braves, the Triple A team for the Atlanta Braves, ironically the ballpark was modeled back in the 80's  after Atlanta's former Fulton County Stadium.

The Diamond is now current home of the

Richmond Flying Squirrels the double A team for the San Francisco Giants.
Although they were away last weekend, I did have an opportunity to get inside the ballpark and get some photos.

Afterwards I headed towards downtown Richmond and  walked around the Historic Shockoe Slip district which is adjacent to downtown. I was disappointed to find out that my favorite brewpub The Richbrau Brewpub had shut it's doors for good. I did end up having a fantastic Iced Coffee at Shockoe Espresso and Roastery.

After heading east of town to check into my motel, I headed back to town to a place that has been mentioned several times
here on Roadfood.

Buz and Ned's Real BBQ

Swarming with college kids  I wasn't sure what to expect

Shortly after arriving, I met up with roadfooder Williamsburger who works nearby.

We shared some excellent sweet potato fries. Hot and crispy and fresh from the fryer, they were dusted with cinnamon and sugar.

As Williamsburger and I were chatting, our  final guest arrived, Buffetbuster.

Now it was time to order some "Q"

The three of us agreed to order our Q and sides in bulk versus ordering separate meals.

We started out with some hushpuppies

and moved on to cinnamon bourbon apples

and then went down to serious busines with some pulled pork and cole slaw

and of course a half a rack of spare ribs.

The hushpuppies were "ok"  with a slightly crisp exterior, corny with a hint of onion. The cinnamon bourbon apples were surprisingly good and reminded me of good homemade apple pie filling, My only regret is that I didn't get more.

The ribs were decent, very meaty with a charred exterior. I thought the sauce on the pulled pork had a peculiar taste that really  didn't agree with me at all. At first I thought it was my imagination, but the more I ate, the more I disliked it.

Overall I thought  Buz and Neds was a little north of mediocre, I dont' think it lived up to the hype. I've been to better bbq joints.

After our meal, we said our goodbyes and I returned back to my hotel. It was a long day, and there's lots more to come.

56 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1