RESTAURANTS TAKEN FOR GRANTED ??

Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/01/14 16:55:08 (permalink)

RESTAURANTS TAKEN FOR GRANTED ??

I had an observation today (in addition to my daily one which is that sometimes I feel that I'm the only one that thinks we need to make it back to the moon as soon as possible) and that was:

"Do we take our own, local, hometown Road Food -- or
potential Road Food -- spots for granted ?"

For example, my business (as an international man of mystery, of course) takes me frequently to both Annapolis, Maryland as well as Richmond, Virginia. At both of these locales, I have my favorite, repeatedly-visited Road Food finds including Annapolis' Chick & Ruth's Delly on Main Street and Richmond's 74-year-old Sally Bell's Kitchen on West Grace Street. In fact, today, I stopped by Sally Bell's to pick-up my string-tied box lunch of homemade chicken salad on a homemade roll, cheese biscuit topped with a pecan, homemade potato salad topped with a sweet pickle, a scrumptious deviled egg and an "upside-down," yellow batter cupcake with all but its original top covered in chocolate frosting. Each item, as always, was hand-wrapped in wax paper by the kindest of ladies each of whom I believe have been there for most of Sally Bell's seven-plus decades of culinary service to the south. Tomorrow, I'll be at Chick & Ruth's. It's never a big deal.

Yet, truth-be-told, as much as I frequent these establishments I've never given thought to what would happen if they disappeared. Worse yet, a recent search revealed that neither of these local haunts has ever been mentioned on this bastion site of American restaurants.

What about where you live? Are your favorite BBQ, sandwich or bacon & eggs joints overlooked? Would you / do you recommend these places to others? Are any of them hanging-by-a-thread.

This is not a roll-up-you-sleeves call to action for some historical and or gastronomical gain, I just felt a little guilty for insufficiently basking in the Road Food places I do call home.

57 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1