Joe's Restaurant - Reading, PA reborn in Oregon

Author
michaelcarraher
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
2010/06/01 18:46:46 (permalink)

Joe's Restaurant - Reading, PA reborn in Oregon

Anybody else remember Joe's in Reading.  It was a fancy place in an unfancy neighborhood.  The Stern's wrote the place up in Roadfood once upon a time.  It was known for its cellar - wine and mushrooms.  The place had a great wine collection and a great collection of home grown mushrooms which they worked into some amazing recipes.  The owners opened a second place, Joe's Bistro, in West Reading but sold out both in the mid 90s (the Bistro is still there under new owners).

It turns out Joe Czarnecki, the owner of the Reading Joe's, which his family had operated since 1916, decided the ideal place to pursue their interests in wine, mushroom and cooking was Oregon.  They opened a place called The Joel Palmer House in Dayton, OR (South of Portland about halfway to Salem).  The menu of their is much like what I remember in Reading, especially including Joe's signature Wild Mushroom Soup. 

I can't recommend it because I haven't eaten there (yet).  I'd be curious if any other Roadfooders have and what their impressions were.  I can say that based on how great Joe's food was in Reading, I will make it a point to get there the next time I'm anywhere near Portland, OR.

13 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1