The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena

John B

Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Sat, 06/12/10 7:51 PM (permalink)
Going to Montana next week and would appreciate some suggestions on good food. I have searched the forum and found a couple of promising places. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I'll be driving from Spokane to East Glacier Park also.
Thanks.

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
    I Have Been All Over The Area But............. Sun, 06/13/10 2:20 PM (permalink)
    It's been several years.  W of Whitefish on # 93 at the N part of Glacier is a great restaurant. 

Cheffy's @ 2635 U.S. 93, Whitefish, MT 406 - 730 - 1006.
    Tupelo Grill is downtown and serves outstanding southern cuisine including some cajun dishes.  The chef must be from MS/LA.

Tupelo Grill @ 17 Central Ave., Whitefish, MT 406 - 862 - 6136.

http://www.tupelogrille.com/

Go to Buffalo Grill for breakfast/lunch/dinner best in town.

Buffalo Grill @ 514 3rd St., Whitefish, MT 406 - 862 - 2833.

http://www.buffalocafewhitefish.com/

Capers is the best place for dinner in Kalispell serving NW cuisine.

Capers Restaurant @ 121 Main St., Kalispell, MT 406 - 755 - 7687.

http://www.capersmontana.com/

The Knead Cafe is great for breakfas/lunch.

The Knead Cafe @ 25 2nd Avenue W., Kalispell, MT 406 - 755 - 7510.

http://www.theknead.com/

Wheat Montana Deli is good also for breakfast/lunch/dinner downtown.

Wheat Montana Bakery and Deli @ 405 Main St., Kalispell, MT 406 - 257 - 6430.

http://www.wheatmontana.com/

Norm's News is good for burgers and shakes.

Norm's News @ 34 Main St., Kalispell, MT 406 - 755 - 5500.

Lucca's is an Italian fine dining restaurant in Helena that's very nice.

Lucca's @ 56 North Last Chance Gulch St., Helena, MT 406 - 457 - 8311.

http://www.luccasitalian.com/

McKenzie River Pizza Co. is nice and open daily serving family style food including sandwiches, pizza, etc.

McKenzie River Pizza Co. @ 1110 Road Runner St., Helena, MT 406 - 443 - 0033.

http://www.mackenzieriverpizza.com/

Brewhouse serves good bar food with steaks, sandwiches, etc. open 7 days/week.

Brewhouse Pub and Grille @ 939 Getchell St., Helena, MT 406 - 457 - 9390.

http://atthebrewhouse.com/

Where else do you think you will stop.  I don't remember much inside the park.  Let me know.

<message edited by Littleman on Sun, 06/13/10 2:27 PM>

Miss Moll

• Total Posts: 2
      Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Sun, 06/13/10 6:03 PM (permalink)
      Try the Two Medicine Grill, right outside the park. We really enjoyed the Veggie Browns. On the same block was a place that had good huckleberry pie, too, if you're in the mood for dessert.

Miss Moll

• Total Posts: 2
        Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Mon, 06/14/10 8:49 PM (permalink)
        For Italian in Whitefish, MT, you should try Mambo Italiano (or Ciao Mambo, as I think it's called now). Busy place, lots of locals, good food, Sinatra and Dean Martin on the "stereo"--put it on your list!

Lizzieslulu

• Total Posts: 61
          Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Tue, 06/15/10 9:08 AM (permalink)
          We enjoyed Moose's Salon in Kalispell, MT 2 years ago when we were there. We went in after dinner at Caper's so we didn't eat but wished we could have. The pizza smelled and looked great. Very good cold beer and fun atmosphere.

leealles

• Total Posts: 1
            Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Tue, 06/15/10 10:10 AM (permalink)
            Penny's Gourmet to Go, Eddie's Supper Club and Taco Treat in Great Falls,MT  -  ALL are MUST HAVES!

rumaki

• Total Posts: 968
              Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Tue, 06/15/10 11:48 AM (permalink)
              It's been several years, but:

My favorite place in that area is closed -- Fenders, which had a room with booths made out of old automobiles, and which served all you could eat panfried chicken (cooked to order) on Sundays, and excellent huckleberry daiquiris.  It was between Whitefish and Kalispell.

We always thought the food was much better in Waterton, Alberta.   Pizza of Waterton and New Franks Chinese are both excellent.

A great place for homemade pie is the Park Cafe -- I still have a tee-shirt from there, with their motto, "Pie for Strength."
              http://www.parkcafe.us/

In Essex, the Isaak Walton Inn is not bad, and serves all its food on reproduction vintage Great Northern Railroad china.  http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/dining.html

And in St. Mary, the Snowgoose Grille at the lodge used to serve respectable whitefish, bison, and similar fare. They also used to make their own bread -- I don't know whether they still do.  It can be very crowded in season, though, and some of the online reviews are quite negative, so I don't know whether it is worth considering or not.  http://www.stmarylodgeandresort.com/index.php
              <message edited by rumaki on Tue, 06/15/10 12:16 PM>

John B

Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Sun, 07/25/10 9:59 AM (permalink)
                This is sorta late but during our trip to Glacier National Park we did find one really good place not mentioned above.
                It's called Taqueria Maria and they make an outstanding Cuban sandwich and the people running the place are super nice. It's in a small trailer located at North American RV Park, 10784 Highway 2 East, Coram, MT. It's just outside the West Glacier entrance. Try it.

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
                  Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Sun, 07/25/10 2:10 PM (permalink)
                  What were the best restaurants you went to. 

awoersch

• Total Posts: 1
                    Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Fri, 11/4/11 12:35 AM (permalink)
                    A good friend and I happened upon a perfect road food breakfast spot on our way out of Glacier a little less than three months ago.  The morning we left Glacier after a backpacking trip, a small sign for backwoods breakfast and BBQ (served later in the day) caught the eye of my good friend in front of the Glacier Campground, a little more than a mile south of the turn off for the going-to-the sun road on MT-2.  At the back of the campground, we discovered a true gem breakfast spot, an outdoor pavilion abutting against the kitchen contained long benches, board games and foosball.  Central in the pavilion was a raised wood fire with a 360 degree grate.  The "house boy" as we called him, a 13-16 year old kid, was busy the entire time we were there chopping wood for the fire.  

The menu was 10 inspired healthful flavorful breakfasts and specials that I did not think to write down, every one served with a side of fruit.  I had the Peak Bagger, "A healthy serving of potatoes, choice of meat, and veggies, topped with two poached eggs and avocado, served with toast or english muffin" and Jordan had the B-fast Taco "Fresh, local scrambled eggs, pepper-jack cheese, potatoes, veggies, jalapeno, avocado, and cilantro-lime sour cream, served in a fresh tortilla...Add chorizo, bacon or pulled pork", both filling in flavorful.  My memory does not do justice to the quality of the food and ambiance at this place.  The forum does not want to let me post images, but I have pictures of the menu and a couple shots of the pavilion exterior if anyone is interested.

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                      Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Fri, 11/4/11 11:00 AM (permalink)
                      Welcome to Roadfood, awoersch... you must have joined us via Google, since this is an old thread. But it's always fun to revive things...

Plus what you ate sounds yummy

cecif

• Total Posts: 1412
                        Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Fri, 11/4/11 11:04 AM (permalink)
                        awoersch

The forum does not want to let me post images, but I have pictures of the menu and a couple shots of the pavilion exterior if anyone is interested.

There are great instructions for this. Check out:
                        http://www.roadfood.com/F...-A-How-To-m322596.aspx
                        (yes, it's not as straightforward as one hopes!)

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                          Re:Montana, Glacier Park, Great Falls, Helena Fri, 11/4/11 11:49 AM (permalink)
                          He has to have more posts in order to post pictures.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com