Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved?

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
2010/06/14 10:36:16 (permalink)

Family Tree Genealogy DNA Testing. Anyone involved?

We have an interesting family circumstance (to us) that has generated a desire to have two groups with the same surname, who come from the same small village in what is now the Czech Republic, to complete a DNA testing experience to prove (yes or no) that the two groups are indeed related.

If the test says yes, then depending upon the number of matches found when comparing the 46 elements of the samples, they will be able to narrow the number of generations back we have to go to find the 'link' .

Prior to this we have some supportive info. Both families the male was born into the family IN the village. One, my grandfather was born in 1880's and lived there until 1912 when he came to the USA. The second is my age, born in the village and left with the Russian troubles of 1968.
The name is not a common one, but definitely Czech in origin.

Our side has a paper trail (tree) that is complete for five generations back from me. We have names,birth,marriage,death records for everyone back to my great great grandfather (b.1820). The other family has no paper trace, but they have the language skills and a lot of contact with folks living in the area to be able to discuss this and ask questions etc. There are 'tales' of an ancestor who was the bell-ringer in the only Catholic church in the area in their group...While our side has a story about a member who worked in the church (Janitor?) at about the same time (early 1800's) Unfortuneately the church burned in 1854 so all real paper records were lost.

On the down side both families have contact with relatives who still live in the village (400 population) and those relatives say NO link...

My guess is that the two groups had a parting of the ways (feud) at some point and disowned each other somewhere in the past.   We hope the test will show that we are indeed 'cousins' of sorts.

Have any of you had any experience with DNA testing  for Genealogy ???  TTM's paternity denial tests don't count in this experience !!  I'll be interested in any feedback as this is a new area for us !

44 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1