Favorite portable barbecue (but $$$)

Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2010/06/24 01:50:33 (permalink)

Favorite portable barbecue (but $$$)

About 21 years ago, I was in the market for a cast iron hibachi. I had learned a few things the hard way about them, but loved the way they held the heat, and worked VERY well on hambugers, hot dogs, chicken pieces, kebabs, and steaks. I found one at Macy's for $12.  It was a folding, portable cast iron hibachi, that had a few interesting features:

1) It was a double hibachi, with the advantages thereof.
2) It had an interesting design; there was a slide so that when open, it allowed the hibachi to act as a chimney, and lit up in about 10 minutes. When closed, it snuffed out the charcoal, but it got so hot in the meantime that the food on the grills just burned off.
3) It took an hour or two to cool down, not a good thing for a portable hibachi. The instructions advertised an insulated "snuffer bag", but it was made of asbestos, and, as such, was no longer in production. Still great for backyard barbecues.
4) Putting it out with water would cause a pretty much irreversible rust. That's what happened when my wife and I left for a few days, and my teenage daughters FAITHFULLY PROMISED to follow the directions should they use it. Needless to say, they didn't.

Well, a few years back, the company FINALLY came out with a snuffer bag. I'm assuming it's the same gadget. Problem is that, for the grill and the snuff pouch, it's running about $70 on Amazon and Ebay. A bit more than I would want to spend on it, based on the use I'd get from it these days (I use a Weber Smoky Joe Gold; only recommended if you want a full sized portable, because there IS  a bit of a problem with the venting). Here's the home site. http://www.sonofhibachi.com/index.html

If anybody owns one or buys one, please post. I would like to be convinced to buy another one...

Bart

14 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1