The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos

wingmanBBF

• Total Posts: 49
  • Roadfood Insider
Wintzell's Oyster House....normalcy amidst the chaos Fri, 06/25/10 1:21 PM (permalink)
Stopped in Mobile on our way to Big Easy from FL last night for dinner. arrived at 5:30 to an empty parking lot, having passed miles of rubber oil boom driving along the coast...
Every item we ordered was as great as always (sorry...full report later if the board wants) and by the time our food arrived the place was packed.......
But of note was my question to the server...

When I asked how the spill was affecting their Biz she said, 'Oh, we just don't talk about it."
Then she leaned into the table, glanced furtively around, lowered her voice and almost whispered(as though revealing the plans for the A-Bomb),
"The oysters come from somewhere else. They don't tell us, but we think they're from up North.  We just  don't want anybody to know they might be eating Yankee oysters."
We nodded understandably.
I put my finger to my lips to reassure her of our trustworthiness.
As we left, passing multiple tables of New-South, thirty-something law and B. school Vanderbilt and Bama grads in their Ralph Lauren dress shirts and loosened preppy ties, I wondered if her fears were just an unfounded throwback or, if founded, did her charges know that the Yuengling draft they were enjoying was brewed in Pennsylvania?? ...
<message edited by wingmanBBF on Fri, 06/25/10 1:29 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com