Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Scranton Baseball Weekend

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
  • Roadfood Insider
Scranton Baseball Weekend Tue, 06/29/10 7:56 PM (permalink)
This past weekend I took advantage of my favorite summer past time as well as a brief respite from my diet.

I had a work related meeting in Glastonbury CT on Friday and luckily we got out early, however it still took three hours and 40 minutes in very heavy traffic  to get to Long Island- only 135 miles away. I stayed overnight on Long Island, still technically on my diet that day, the only real fun I had was going to see Toy Story 3 with my friend, his wife and their two little ones.

Saturday June 26

This is when the fun begins. I left Long Island after a quick breakfast at a relatively new coffee house called Massapequa Perk, across from the Massapequa Park train station. I arrive at my friend Ian's house in Woodcliff Lake NJ and we were on our way to Scranton after another delay involving a 5 car pile up on Route 17.

We arrived at around 3:30 PM at our first stop

Arcaro and Genell
in Old Forge PA

Since we arrived a few minutes early we sat down to a complimentary appetizer  of marinated beans

Shortly afterwards our guest joerogo
arrived in style..

The three of ordered a tray of red "Old Forge Style" Pizza..

Although it looks like Sicilian Style Pizza, its not. The crust is not nearly as dense and has a "toasty" texture. I believe that there is a combination of several cheeses, I do taste American and wonder if it's mixed in with Mozarella, Provolone or both? Either way I enjoyed it much more than Salerno's which visited approximately 7 years ago. Although the red pizza was good..........

I enjoyed the double crusted spinach pizza even more....Joe pointed out that unlike the red pizza which is twice baked, the double crusted pizza is made with fresh dough, and it shows. My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it (yes unfortunately I've been back in diet mode since yesterday)

After our meal, my friend Ian took a departing photo of Joe and I.

Our next stop was

PNC Field

Home of the triple A  Scranton Wilkes Barre Yankees in Moosic PA

They did a fine job of renovating the field since my last visit in 2003. Back then the ballpark hosted the Scranton Wilkes Barre Red Barons who were the triple A team for the Phillies.

One of the things I noticed was that they did away with the astroturf which was my biggest gripe about the ballpark during my last visit.

I also noticed that Old Forge Pizza is included at one of the concession stands...

The Yankees hosted the Rochester Red Wings, who are the triple A farm team for the Minnesota Twins.
This was a long drawn out game with two rain delays. One lasting close to 30 minutes in the 5th inning and another brief rain delay in the 9th inning leaving the score tied at one all...

Even the team mascot

Champ sat down for a while just to chill out. We decided to leave at the end of the 11th inning since it was after 11pm and it was over a two hour drive back to Jersey. We found out the next day that the Yankees finally scored in the 13th inning and beat the Red Wings 2-1.

Sunday June 27

Even though we got home late we got up early at 8AM- my friend's wife and kids were still sleeping.
We took a 15 minute drive to Ridgewood NJ and got a cup of dark roast from Ridgewood Coffee Company to go and decided to have a real breakfast at

Country Pancake House a block or two away..

http://www.countrypancakehouse.net/

There was almost a 1/2 hour wait to get in.
Country Pancake House reminds me of the defunct Royal Canadian Pancake House in NYC which was popular back in the 1990's. Focusing more on variety than quality there are over 100 varieties of Pancakes including oven baked. I went with the Oatmeal Flapjacks, which included chocolate chips in the batter with Fresh Strawberries and Banana on top. Although I was hungry I could barely finish half of my meal due to the size of these monstrous pancakes  Unfortunately I did not bring my camera so therefore there are no photos.

We returned back to my friend's place and we parted ways shortly afterwards. My last stop before the return trip home was Edgewater NJ, my friend Glenn, his wife and their one year old daughter live there.

This is the view of the George Washington Bridge overlooking their condo...

My friend and I ended up going to Lunch at It's Greek to Me in Fort Lee NJ

http://www.itsgreektome.com/

We shared the GTM combo which included gyro meet, chicken, beef, fries Tzatziki, grilled peppers tomato, onion and pita. I still wasn't very hungry from my huge breakfast. Unfortunately I did not bring my camera so no photos here too...

I left New Jersey at around 3:30PM only to be greeted again with some even more traffic. Crawling through the Bronx I hit two more traffic snags in Darien CT but managed to miss the second one by getting onto Route 1 in Milford CT a couple of  towns away from my final dinner stop...

Zuppardi's Apizza

in West Haven CT

although I looked at the menu

I already knew what i wanted...

The fresh clam pizza!

I obviously saved the best meal for last. Although it traditionally doesn't come with Mozarella, I asked them to add some very light mozzarella

Loaded with freshly shucked clams, olive oil and garlic

the firm crust held up to the generous toppings..

Although this was a small pie, spending $22.00 (market price) was well worth it, and yes, I finished the entire pie...

It was an easy ride back to Rhode Island and I was home by 8pm.

<message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 06/29/10 8:01 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com