The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I need a new method for grilling chicken

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 2:44 PM (permalink)
I like to buy a whole chicken, cut the backbone out , flatten it out and put it on the grill with various seasonings. My problem is that I can't seem to get it cooked right. I either burn the crap out of the skin or don't get the chicken done. Here's what I have to work with. A Weber Q300 which you can turn off the center burner and create a space for indirect cooking. The temp can be maintained anywhere from 300 to about 425 depending on where I set the remaining burner. I'm trying to get a nice crispy skin and a cooked juicy inside. I've tried wrapping in foil and finishing on the grill and cooking directly on the grill but can't seem to get it right. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Charlie

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
    Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 2:56 PM (permalink)
    Beer Can It. About the only way to cook chicken on a grill.....Russ

MiamiDon

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:00 PM (permalink)
      What Russ said.

I almost never cook a whole chicken anymore, but If I did I'd brine it, too.  I'm fortunate enough  to have a rotisserie for my grill.

ces1948

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:02 PM (permalink)
        Russ Jackson

I've beer canned it in the oven with good success but unfortunately the Q300 doesn't have enough vertical clearance
        I certainly like it from the oven but we're trying to not heat up the house this time of year.

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
          Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:04 PM (permalink)
          explore only way I do a bird
          http://nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

All you need is a few fire bricks, extra grill grate and walla. Nice moist chicken
          All can be had cheap. Don't need an egg. got one but don't need to over do things.

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Mon, 07/5/10 3:21 PM>

acoustic blues

• Total Posts: 86
            Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:05 PM (permalink)
            Also, if allowed where you live, get a Weber charcoal grill. 80 bucks new or you can usually find one on C/L  for a reasonable price.
            O yeah, lump charcoal only, please.
            ab.

MiamiDon

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:08 PM (permalink)
              OK, put some heavy-duty foil on the grill in the area on which the chicken will lie.  Wrap it around the grate a little to hold it in place.  Poke a bunch of holes in it with a big fork.  This will block any radiant heat that may be hitting the chicken from the other burner(s), but will allow drippings to go down, and smoke to go up.  Cook it at about 325 until done.  Move it over direct heat at that time if it is too pale for your taste.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:11 PM (permalink)
                ces1948

Russ Jackson

I've beer canned it in the oven with good success but unfortunately the Q300 doesn't have enough vertical clearance
                I certainly like it from the oven but we're trying to not heat up the house this time of year.

Use your Weber Charcoal...Russ

ces1948

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:19 PM (permalink)
                  Curbside Grill

This is very similar to what I do but I never thought about not turning it. This combined with MiamiDon's suggestion with the foil may work out on the gas grill.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                    Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:21 PM (permalink)
                    Charlie, to what internal temperature are you cooking the chicken?  A few years ago the FDA revised the doneness guidelines and now 165F is considered safe for both the breast and thigh.

I like to put a salt-based rub or sometimes some herb butter between the skin and the meat and I do this several hours before cooking.  Then grill indirect at 350-375 until done and if I want a really crisp skin I'll put the chicken directly over the coals for a couple of minutes.

"Roadside chicken" is a popular method these days and a web search will get you lots of results.  Also, since you own a Weber grill the TVWBB website might be of interest to you.

Brad

Curbside Grill

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:22 PM (permalink)
                      ces1948

Curbside Grill

This is very similar to what I do but I never thought about not turning it. This combined with MiamiDon's suggestion with the foil may work out on the gas grill.

I never foil.

MiamiDon

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:37 PM (permalink)
                        CES1948 is cooking with one of these:

Suggestions that he raise the grate by 4 inches are not useful, if he is going to close the cover.  Not to mention that the burners/bottom are not conducive to doing so.

Here is the inside:

Another shot:

<message edited by MiamiDon on Mon, 07/5/10 3:46 PM>

Curbside Grill

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:56 PM (permalink)
                          I never said 4" in height. You just want the meat some what away from the heat source. It will burn. 
                            25 mins. skin side and flip another 30-35 temp check
                          <message edited by Curbside Grill on Mon, 07/5/10 4:00 PM>

MiamiDon

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 3:59 PM (permalink)
                            Curbside Grill

I never said 4" in height. You just want the meat some what away from the heat source. It will burn. 

That is correct, but the page that you linked to illustrated raising the grate about 4 inches.  Look at the photographs.  How is he going to raise the chicken further away from the heat source?

plb

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 4:01 PM (permalink)
                              Russ Jackson

Did it on the 4th and it came out great.  I had to use tin snips to shorten the can so I could close the lid.  Use Mexican Chicken Rub. 

Curbside Grill

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 4:05 PM (permalink)
                                How many sides to a brick. You can make a grate out of a cookie rack. the link was an idea. Not held in stone.

ces1948

Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 4:06 PM (permalink)
                                  plb

Russ Jackson

Did it on the 4th and it came out great.  I had to use tin snips to shorten the can so I could close the lid.  Use Mexican Chicken Rub. 

I have always used a frame such as this one for doing beer can chicken in the oven.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                    Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 4:49 PM (permalink)

Your Problem is Temperature Control. Google "ideal temperature for grilling chicken'. You'll get all kinds of info.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                      Re:I need a new method for grilling chicken Mon, 07/5/10 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                      ces1948

Curbside Grill

This is my favorite way to do a whole chicken, too! Always comes out great.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com