Matlock Hot Dog?

Author
WildWalker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
2004/01/18 21:36:34 (permalink)

Matlock Hot Dog?

I saw a Matlock show on TV, where he raved about the best hot dog which was served with chopped onion and little hot green peppers. What where the peppers?

I also have some very basic questions on how to cook hot dogs in an electic skillet. What temp, how long to cook? What temp to keep hot?

I've been volunteering serving food for a weekly Bingo game.
I have been re-warming pre-prepared hotdogs. Now I want to cook:
Hebrew National 1/4 lb hot dogs: "All Beef" and "Beef Polish Sausage"

I want to arrive, get hot dogs ready. then continue to have the hot dogs ready 2 hours before Bingo. I also serve food at a break, after another 1.5 hours, but think the same dogs shouldn't cook that long. I seem to get burning on the Polish Sausage even at 275 F.

For hot dog buns: seedless jumbo; sesame seeded Hoogie; sprouted whole wheat (I'm in the San Francisco Bay area).
I notice that naked, or at least minimal bun, mustard, onion, brings out the flavor of the dog. The Beef Polish have more zesty flavor, and grilling brings out much more flavor than steamed "all beef" hot dogs I had been buying prepared, and serving re-warmed.

I have French's Yellow mustard, Ketchup, I'm adding chopped yellow onions, and relish. Reading the comments here, I'm considering a yellow onion saute in olive oil.

I watched a Matlock show where he raved about "the best hot dogs" served with some little hot peppers. How do I make these "Matlock" hot dogs? What type of pepper? They were little and green, and might have had stems on.

What other garnishes, touches, would make for a more complete Hot Dog offering?
I'm shopping at CostCo and a United Market (normal grocery store in California) for supplies so far.
I did see some Sabrett pepper sauce on the web, but $5/lb seems a bit high.

I want to have a healthy gross margin charging $2.50

Thank you all in advance, for your helpful suggestions,
WildWalker

81 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1