Running/Roadfooding the Boilermaker 2010 in Utica, NY

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2462
2010/07/14 00:58:28 (permalink)

Running/Roadfooding the Boilermaker 2010 in Utica, NY

In the past 8 months, I've been trying to eat in a way that is better for my body and health while also fitting in Roadfooding from time to time.  I do still chow down more than I should, but I'm attempting on finding a balance that works for me and one that I feel good about.  A step in that direction is exercising on a more consistent basis.  One of my goals for 2010 (and a goal I have had for some time) was to run the Boilermaker 15K (9.3 mi.) Road Race in Utica, NY.  I went to Utica College and this race has always been a big part of living in this area.  My friend, college roommate and occasional co-star of my Roadfood reports, Doug has been coaching me since last December and we agreed to run the race together.  

On Friday July 9th, with his wife and my girlfriend along for the ride, we made our way to Wallkill, NY (home of Borden Dairy and Elsie the Cow) for the wedding of our friends Natalie and Eben.  A beautiful outdoor ceremony at Lippincott Manor and some great food (roast beef, roasted sweet, yellow and purple potatoes, a chocolate fountain and a S'mores station just to name a few).  Sorry, no food pics from the wedding!

We made our way into Utica to pick up our race packets and runner's bibs and passed by the National Long Distance Running Hall of Fame on Genesee Street.  Seeing the countdown made me a bit nervous as this was my first Boilermaker and the furthest I have ever run at one time.  Oh man!  This is for real!

Puma had a tent selling sneakers, t-shirts, shorts and other running gear.

I ended up getting a t-shirt and a pair of running shorts.  I think this was the first time I had ever changed clothes in a storage container!

We were looking for headbands to wear during the race to keep the sweat out of our eyes and when I spied this one, it just had "Roadfood" (and my name) written all over it! Turns out the maker of these is based out of Lewiston, ME so whoopie pies were just a natural choice!

We found this one for a running buddy of ours!

My first Boilermaker bib!  I've talked about running this since 2003.

Rest assured folks, there are actually food photos in this report!

As we made our way to the Masonic Lodge on Bleecker Street for the Boilermaker Expo, we passed these two local tomato pie places.  I've had the pie from Roma Sausage & Deli before and it is fantastic.  I was hoping to stop by and say hi to my friend Paul who works there, but by the time we had left the Expo, Roma was closed for the day.  

We didn't have time to stop in to Napoli's Italian Bakery & Deli as we decided to drive the race course to get a feel for what was in store the next morning.  They did get voted "Best Tomato Pie in Utica" this year, so I think a return visit to CNY is in order.

Doug had mentioned the idea of engaging ion some carb loading for the race at a favorite pizza place of his when he used to work in the area.  When he said Joe's Pizza in Whitesboro, my ears pricked up as I knew it was a place that fellow RFers euclid and ynotryme had touted to me before.  

Going 46 years strong.  I'm not sure why the "zz" are backwards, but no matter...

Getting a whole tomato pie here must be ordered in advance, but they had slices available so we grabbed a bunch of them as an appetizer to our hot pie.  Now, THESE are a taste of home!  The girls liked them, but thy totally brought Doug and I back to our childhoods.  Chewy dough, bright tomato sauce and a sprinkling of parmesan (or perhaps romano cheese?) and it is the perfect snack.  I've downed half a pie in my day in one sitting and not felt any guilt as it was so good.  This was my first time at Joe's and I can highly recommend it.

Mmmmm...!!

We all split a mozzarella and mushroom pie.  A couple of things to note about Joe's:  they only make rectangular pies (although I don't know if I would call them Sicilian) and the crusts are pre-baked shells that they make themselves.  This was similar to the tomato pie with three exceptions: this is served hot, has mozzarella and per Doug's wife's request, they baked it until the crust was extra crispy, a bold and wise move.  I'm not sure if the mushrooms were canned or fresh but they were meaty and tasty nonetheless.  The crust was crispy on the edges and bottom while still being somewhat chewy in the middle.  The sauce was great and the mozz was super stringy and we definitely got our carbs for the big race in less than 12 hours!

A close-up of that beautiful mushroom and mozz slice.  

1.)  Roma Sausage & Deli
      2029 Bleecker Street
      Utica, NY 13501
      Ph# 315-792-1445
      No website

2.)  Napoli's Italian Bakery & Deli
      412 Culver Avenue
      Utica, NY 13501
      Ph# 315-798-8709 

3.)  Joe's Pizza
      117 Main Street
      Whitesboro, NY 13492