Dip Dogs

Author
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2004/01/20 09:30:13 (permalink)

Dip Dogs

I finally came across my notes on a great ROADFOOD find just off Route 81 in Virginia. We stumbled across it last summer and what a great find it turned out to be. We wanted to take a break from Route 81 because of all the heavy traffic so went on Route 11 and happened on to a tiny place called "The Dip Dog". It turned out that their specialty is called a dip dog..............not to be confused with a corn dog. The hot dog is the brightest red thing you ever saw. It is on a stick and dipped into a secret batter and then deep fried. When it comes out of the fryer, it is dipped into bright yellow mustard and put on a small piece of white paper. We ordered 8 of them and when we brought out to one of the four picnic tables there, we could see that they were each wrapped in their white paper and all of them heaped in a brown paper bag..........they even stuck in an extra one! They were great! We ate everyone of them and decided that for 75 cents each, they could not be making much money on them. They sold sandwiches, fried seafood, and ice cream and sundaes.

As we sat there eating, people were starting pull up after church to get their dip dogs. We noticed that most of the people brought their own beverages with them and just sat on the hood of their trucks and cars and ate away. I think we were the only strangers there.

This place is located in West Marion, VA just off Rt 81 on Rt 11.......in fact, we could watch the traffic on Rt 81 as we ate. I would say it was about halfway between Abingdon and Wytheville, Va. Going south we would get on route 11 at Wytheville to find it and coming north we would get on route 11 at Abingdon. We are looking forward to more dip dogs the next time we are in that area.

94 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1