The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
A Trip to Newport, Oregon: new roadfood places and a blast from the past Sun, 08/29/10 2:05 AM (permalink)
      One of the clients in the group home for the intellectually disabled where i work makes an annual trip to Newport, Oregon to visit her sister. My wife Trudy is usually the staff who accompanies her and sometimes i tag along as a volunteer to help and visit roadfood sites along the way. This year I was especially eager because there were some new places from the Sterns' new book I wanted to check out.
       Doing my trip preplanning, I discovered that The Waldport Seafood Store, reviewed on the website at one time and in the Sterns' new book had closed. I was bummed out but was still excited about other spots.
     We began our day with a visit to "The Briggitine Monastery" in Amity, Oregon. This is a group of monks who support themselves by selling fudge on their website and at the monastery. They have added a new flavor, chocolate hazlenut fudge, smooth , rich and loaded with local hazlenuts. A bit more expensive but worth the indulgence. The place is reviewed on this website and is well worth an online or personal visit.
     While driving along Highway 101 in Lincoln City looking for "The Crab Pot", we made an amazing discovery. "THe Dory Cove", a favorite of the Sterns(and the Chips family) and a fixture in the Roads End area of Licoln City until it burned down a few years back and had reopened in the Nelscott area of Lincoln City along highway 101. This discovery pulled us off the road immediately to investigate. To our delight, we recognized a couple of the waitstaff and the kitchen staff. OUr chowder and halibut were as good as ever and the hamburger was first rate. We talked about what had happened and discovered that the original owner and son had sold the old place and had had no desire to return to the restaurant business. Their nephew however had wished to continue and opened up a place called "Captain Ron's". He wished to call it the Dory Cove but it took a while to convince his relatives to allow the restaurant to reopen under that name. there seems to be little drop in quality in the new place and i am delighted the place has risen from the dead.
         We did journey to "The Crab Pot", located at the southern end of Lincoln City along Highway 101. Its owner is a delighful raconteur and quite a talker and I indulged in a truly wonderful crab cocktrail, fresh and sweet with a marvelous sauce. Also shared a quarter pound of smoked coho with Trudy and the client and we were all satisfied.
    Dinner was at the Chowder Shop in Newport in the Nye Beach area along the ocean. It was rich, buttery, smooth and sweet, lots of clams, few potatoes. The place was a great treat and the ability to hike along the beach after dinner is an added asset. It is reviewed in the Sterns' 500 Things book.
<message edited by mr chips on Sun, 08/29/10 2:20 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com