My neighborhood, beginning to show life - Meet the Capitol City Diner

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
2010/08/31 12:53:10 (permalink)

My neighborhood, beginning to show life - Meet the Capitol City Diner

The area in this article is basically my neighborhood (My street is just off the map east of the "1/4" symbol on the map).

When I moved here, I sent people to my house via East Capitol Street, and had them avoid Benning Road likenthe plague. I was almost embarrassed that I lived so close to the run down corridor. The H Street Corridor was just beginning to get new establishments. 2 years ago, Langston Grill opened just 6 blocks from my house.
The trolley, which will go through downtown DC from the Anacostia River to Georgetown when completed runs passed my street - and we'll have the first completed segment, set to open in about 18 months.

When I first moved from NW DC to NE DC, it seemed like the other end of the earth when we drove the moving vans cross town, and my friends clearly saw that we were moving to the very edge of the fringe neighborhoods. My neighborhood is considered one of the last affordable neighborhoods West of the Anacostia River. And my real estate agent --who knows we're looking to move to Anne Arundel County in Maryland, now that my wife is employed out there, and my son will be school aged in only a couple years -- is telling me to hang on and wait for the development to really develop. He seems to think we're living in the next boom neighborhood. My little neighborhood will be situated between this new development and the Anacostia River Plan and the East Capitol Hill Plan. We're a fulcrum point for the three projects.

So, it's cool to finally see it develop with real foodie joints that understand the diverseness and "fringyiness" of our side of town.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/30/AR2010083005071.html

post edited by Scorereader - 2010/08/31 12:54:32

1 Reply Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1