Seattle/ Kent Area?

Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
2010/09/01 20:12:41 (permalink)

Seattle/ Kent Area?

It looks like I will be traveling to Seattle and Kent Washington later this month.  I have never been this far Northwest and I am really looking forward to it.  I searched the forums and reviewed restaurants and found some good info.  But I want to ask the local folks, if you had two or three meals to eat in the area, where would you go?

Keep in mind I don't care for desserts, doughnuts and other sweet stuff. 

Any insider info about Pike Place market?  http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/  Look like a great place.

Any good wineries to visit in the area?

What's you favorite color?

What's with the operating hours at Salumi "Restaurant Hours
Tuesday-Friday 11am-4pm"?  Is Mario's Father a lazy a$$? 
Breakfast looks really, really good in Seattle!

Not big on snotty coffee places.

What does every tourist need to see?

Grazie Mille!
post edited by joerogo - 2010/09/01 20:15:57

28 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 05:25:33 (permalink)
    Here you go Joe ...

Pike's:
    http://www.wheregreggeats.com/pikes.htm

WA:
    http://wheregreggeats.com/wa.htm

Pages are a little dated, but I doubt there has been any significant change.

Enjoy.

Report back.

Gregg

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 11:37:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Gregg, great info.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 12:22:58 (permalink)
    Here you gojoerogo. 
     Map of Seattle Recommendations - PortlandFood.org
    post edited by bill voss - 2010/09/02 12:25:17
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 12:50:37 (permalink)
    Piroshky Piroshky right outside Pike's Place Market is great! http://www.piroshkybakery.com/

Also make sure you make it over to Dick's Drive In on Broadway!
    http://www.ddir.com/index.html
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5204
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 12:53:16 (permalink)
    Joe, I think you're probably a Sea-Tac Strip kinda guy...

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18855
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 13:06:38 (permalink)
    >Joe, I think you're probably a Sea-Tac Strip kinda guy... <

In that case, 13 Coins. I love the comfortable chairs at the counter.
    http://www.13coins.com/menus.php
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 13:42:29 (permalink)
    bill voss, Wow, what a big help you are.  Now I just need Littleman to chime in with a list Ok Bill, if you were walking around Seattle for the first time, it's around noon and you are getting hungry while staring up at the tall buildings, what one place would you duck in to for lunch?

Aren't you supposed to be my west coast wine connection also?

seatown76, I had to do a search on Piroshky.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirozhki  I never heard of them before, but they look great.  As does Dick's.  Thank you.

Brad_Olson & Michael Hoffman,  You guys are a riot, a regular riot.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 14:04:49 (permalink)
    Hey, 13-coins is terrific. I always enjoyed the counter because it's so comfortable, and, because you're watching the open kitchen while the food is being prepared.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 14:05:15 (permalink)
    Also, if your down on the waterfront piers Ivars Acres of Clams fish and clam bar is great! Right by the ferry terminal.
    http://www.ivars.com/index.php?page=locations_acres-of-clams

If your looking for wineries head to Woodinville. There are a ton of wineries along with private tasting rooms.
    http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/Wineries.cfm

I took a trip back home in May and ended up at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery and some friends and I enjoyed some really great tasting menus at just $5 for a taste of 4 different wines. Good stuff. Plus the Red Hook Brewery and Restaurant is right there as well. Free tours there as well with great food!
    http://www.redhook.com/Default.aspx?p=36
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 14:36:17 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

In that case, 13 Coins. I love the comfortable chairs at the counter.
    http://www.13coins.com/menus.php

Bring an enormous amount of money to 13 Coins.  I do love it there.  The original is downtown.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 14:38:49 (permalink)
    I'll second Ivar's Acres of Clams. I once had a waitress there tell me that if I didn't like their red clam chowder she'd pay for my dinner and my wife's dinner. I have always detested the red clam soup some folks mistakenly refer to as chowder, but boy was that stuff wonderful. Our waitress didn't have to lay out a dime for our meal.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 14:40:38 (permalink)
    >Bring an enormous amount of money to 13 Coins.  I do love it there.  The original is downtown. <

I've been to the one downtown, too. I like them both.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 14:48:32 (permalink)
    I should have checked the 13 Coins website better.  Brad had my mind in the gutter.  I saw club and thought strip joint.

13 Coins looks like a really great place, even if there aren't any scantly clad women
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/02 16:10:59 (permalink)
    joerogo

bill voss, Wow, what a big help you are.  Now I just need Littleman to chime in with a list Ok Bill, if you were walking around Seattle for the first time, it's around noon and you are getting hungry while staring up at the tall buildings, what one place would you duck in to for lunch?

Aren't you supposed to be my west coast wine connection also?

seatown76, I had to do a search on Piroshky.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirozhki  I never heard of them before, but they look great.  As does Dick's.  Thank you.

Brad_Olson & Michael Hoffman,  You guys are a riot, a regular riot.

That's zaatar's deal. I'll see if I can roust her. :)I haven't been to Seattle in years
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 12:17:35 (permalink)
    Wow!  Holy Cow! Etc!  What a beautiful city!  I may not want to leave.  Got in late last night.  Took the train to downtown($2.50)from the airport and walked to our hotel.  Extremely clean and friendly city.

My first choice for oysters, Emmett Watson's, was closed last night so we ended up at Shuckers.  Pricey but delicous.  They had 11 different oyster types available and we had them every way you can imangine.  Paired with some of Washington's finest wines

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 12:36:52 (permalink)
    I think Seattle is America's most beautiful city. And yes, I do mean America -- North, South and Central.

Take the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle in the evening and get to see a most magnificent lighted skyline.

But I can't stand the coffee.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/09/20 12:38:09
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 12:45:43 (permalink)
    joerogo

Wow!  Holy Cow! Etc!  What a beautiful city!  I may not want to leave.  Got in late last night.  Took the train to downtown($2.50)from the airport and walked to our hotel.  Extremely clean and friendly city.

My first choice for oysters, Emmett Watson's, was closed last night so we ended up at Shuckers.  Pricey but delicous.  They had 11 different oyster types available and we had them every way you can imangine.  Paired with some of Washington's finest wines

Joe, I'll send you a PM this evening  when I'm off work- for additional recommendations.

I lived in Seattle from 1992 through early 1996- suggestions would obviously be moot for places I visited while living there- however I was back for a visit in 2007- which falls within my personal 5 year window of reliability.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5204
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 12:46:03 (permalink)
    I could see myself spending a tidy sum at Shuckers...that's an impressive menu.  Are the oysters as good as the ones you get from the Susquehanna back home?

Not sure why you'd go to Emmett Watson's for seafood, though.  According to the link, "There isn't a more lively hot dog joint anywhere."

Brad
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 17:04:32 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I think Seattle is America's most beautiful city. And yes, I do mean America -- North, South and Central.

Take the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle in the evening and get to see a most magnificent lighted skyline.

Michael Hoffman, We are supposed to be going to a restaurant tonight that looks back at the city.  I'll see if I can get a good pic.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 17:06:38 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

joerogo

Joe, I'll send you a PM this evening  when I'm off work- for additional recommendations.

I lived in Seattle from 1992 through early 1996- suggestions would obviously be moot for places I visited while living there- however I was back for a visit in 2007- which falls within my personal 5 year window of reliability.

Hey Dale, Much appreciated.

I guess this is where you became a "Coffee Snob"

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 17:15:23 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

I could see myself spending a tidy sum at Shuckers...that's an impressive menu.  Are the oysters as good as the ones you get from the Susquehanna back home?

Not sure why you'd go to Emmett Watson's for seafood, though.  According to the link, "There isn't a more lively hot dog joint anywhere."

Brad

Hey Brad,  Nothing beats a Pittston Oyster!  No fishy smell at all. 

Just noticed the write-up list for Emmetts" /> 

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 18:13:20 (permalink)
    We spent the better part of today eating our way through Pikes Place.

We started with a 1/2 dozen assorted from the Doughnut Company.  I don't get too excited over doughnuts, but these were very good.  Slightly crunchy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside.

I had a beef and onion Piroshky which was excellent. They are a lot bigger than they look. 

Then over to Jack's Fish Spot.  I had Cioppino which was good and a dozen oysters which were excellent.  BTW, Jack's is short for JackA$$.  For some reason Jack insisted in engaging me in a conversation about politics.  I' don't think he will be making that mistake again 

Thanks again to all for the recommendations
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/20 18:16:37 (permalink)
    joerogo

Michael Hoffman

Michael Hoffman, We are supposed to be going to a restaurant tonight that looks back at the city.  I'll see if I can get a good pic.

Michael, It's a beautiful city because Thomas Crapper invented the first toilet in Seattle. Thats where they got the name for the movie "****less in Seattle"..............

Hey Joe, there is nothing like  a clear day in Seattle, I hope you get a few to look back at the Mountain. There is a good breakfast place in Pike Market Athenian Restaurant, this is the restaurant in Sleepless in Seattle. nice view over the sound,old rustic restaurant..................I always go to the MET Grill for a great steak, not cheap but a real good Seattle bar with good waiters.............I think its on 6th not far from Pioneer square...have fun.............BillyB
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/23 20:09:02 (permalink)
    I guess I'll have to wait for another time to try 13 Coins and the other fine RF places that were recommended to me.  I didn't have complete control over my dining schedule on this trip, but enjoyed many one of a kind places.

Dinner one night was at Canlis Restaurant, excellent fine dining, but a little too "Foo Foo" for me.

The home run was at Salty's in Redondo Beach.  A gorgeous straight forward seafood restaurant right on the Puget Sound.  My appetizer.....

GRAND SEAFOOD SAMPLER* (SERVES 6) Salmon Lox, Chilled

Prawns, Raw Oysters on the Half Shell, Dungeness Crab, Alaskan
    King Crab Legs, Blackened Tuna Sashimi

I know, it says it serves 6....maybe 6 children!  Kidding, I shared.

One thing that struck me as out of the ordinary, and quite weird, was the number of people in the Seattle Area who deface a perfectly good automobile with political stickers.  Personally, I have never felt strong enough about any subject to make me want to ruin my car.  Must be a regional thing.
    Can you hate this much and still call yourself tolerant?
    post edited by joerogo - 2010/09/23 20:12:00
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/09/23 22:33:27 (permalink)
    BillyB

joerogo

Michael Hoffman

Michael, It's a beautiful city because Thomas Crapper invented the first toilet in Seattle. Thats where they got the name for the movie "****less in Seattle"..............

The first toilet in Seattle may have been invented by Thomas Crapper, but considering the fact that he never set foot outside England, and had nothing to do with the invention of the flush toilet, because it was invented a couple of hundred years before he was born (John Harrington actually invented it in 1596), I'd have to guess that someone else must have mentioned it to the owner.

u12rd04
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Seattle Ferry Terminal to Port Angeles; Bainbridge Island to the Olympic Peninsula port. 2010/10/13 09:22:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the links for Seattle. I was looking for off-highway food stops from the Ferry Terminal in Seattle to Port Angeles where we take the Black Ball ferry to Victoria. Looks like a Roadfood desert from the lack of suggestions so far. [:)
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Seattle Ferry Terminal to Port Angeles; Bainbridge Island to the Olympic Peninsula port 2010/10/13 09:34:59 (permalink)
    The Olympic Peninsula is NOT a dining Mecca.
    Victoria is fun though.
    ong
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Seattle/ Kent Area? 2010/10/17 01:19:06 (permalink)
    I've visited to this site and thanks for the information also. 
    thanks,
    Albert

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1