The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Thanks, Jane & Michael!!

blizzardstormus

• Total Posts: 274
Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Mon, 09/6/10 4:52 PM (permalink)
In Sunday's Parade magazine, Jane & Michael wrote about 5 regional pies and included our Sour Cream Raisin pie as one of the five.
http://www.parade.com/foo...e-of-american-pie.html
The phone has not stopped ringing and I can't keep up with the e-mails!

Thank you, Jane & Michael for including The Farmer's Kitchen. It is truly an honor to be considered in the same category as the other pies in the article. I had a taste of Royer's pecan pie at the Roadfood Festival in New Orleans and was delighted by the taste.

We would like to thank all the Roadfooders who have stopped at the Farmer's Kitchen, especially Chris & Amy (ayersian), buffetbuster, Wandering Jew, TTM, Davydd, and all the other Roadfooders who embody the spirit of Roadfood.

Mark & Charlene
<message edited by blizzardstormus on Mon, 09/6/10 7:25 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Mon, 09/6/10 7:24 PM (permalink)
    Congratulations to you Mark and certainly to your mom, too!  What an honor and it is much deserved.  That slice of sour cream raisin you brought to me in Des Moines was as good as any slice of pie I have had all year.

It is just nice to see good things happen to good people. 
    <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 09/6/10 7:26 PM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Mon, 09/6/10 8:20 PM (permalink)

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Tue, 09/7/10 11:39 AM (permalink)
        I just got back from my long long trip last night. I can't even begin to say enough good things about  the Sour Cream Raisin Pie at Farmers Kitchen and will be incorporating that along with meeting up with Blizzardstormus (and others) inmy eventual trip novel (report is an understatement this time around)

Michael Stern

Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Tue, 09/7/10 12:08 PM (permalink)
          blizzardstormus

In Sunday's Parade magazine, Jane & Michael wrote about 5 regional pies and included our Sour Cream Raisin pie as one of the five.
          http://www.parade.com/foo...e-of-american-pie.html
          The phone has not stopped ringing and I can't keep up with the e-mails!

Thank you, Jane & Michael for including The Farmer's Kitchen. It is truly an honor to be considered in the same category as the other pies in the article. I had a taste of Royer's pecan pie at the Roadfood Festival in New Orleans and was delighted by the taste.

We would like to thank all the Roadfooders who have stopped at the Farmer's Kitchen, especially Chris & Amy (ayersian), buffetbuster, Wandering Jew, TTM, Davydd, and all the other Roadfooders who embody the spirit of Roadfood.

Mark & Charlene

With pleasure! If it wasn't for you and a handful of other great Roadfood artists, we'd have nothing to write about!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
            Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Tue, 09/7/10 9:04 PM (permalink)

What else can be said? It's great pie.

blizzardstormus

Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Sun, 09/19/10 6:07 PM (permalink)
              It has been 2 weeks since the Parade article on our pie came out. It has been a very interesting time at the restaurant. A few thoughts and observations on the impact of the article;
              Michael & Jane, if you ever think that what you do has no impact on people's lives, disabuse yourselves of those thoughts. Not only has there been a immediate positive financial impact on our business these last 2 weeks, but the article has touched so may lives. For example, the following is an e-mail I received:

"Hello, my name is Patricia Howie, niece of several people (Mary Ann Gettler, and Leona and Clair Schmitz) who live near you.  I live in Flint, MI, and saw your sour cream raisin pie mentioned as number 1 in an article by the Sterns in last Sunday's Parade magazine.  When I saw where you were located, I called my mother, Rita Knutson (sister of the above-mentioned Mary Ann and Leona), who lives four doors down from me in Flint.  She was born in Dedham, and grew up in and around Coon Rapids.  She remembers eating this pie when she was a little girl.  Her mother, Margaret Tigges, who was born more than a hundred years ago very near your location, made it often.  I have never heard of this pie, and would like your recipe, if you share your recipes.  I would to make it for my mom, who will be a vibrant and totally independant 87 years old next February.  There aren't many things my mom needs as gifts any more, and I am in poor health and cannot take her traveling (or we would visit our relatives in Iowa and eat this pie at your restaurant!!!).  I suppose I could search the internet for a recipe, but I was hoping to get yours, as the connection between my mom and her relatives and where you are located is so amazing.  None of Mom's remaining sisters have their mother's recipe. I am hoping that your recipe is very close to my grandmother's, given how close you are to her birthplace.   Many thanks for your consideration, Patricia Howie , Flint, MI 

P. S.  My mom called her sister Mary Ann after seeing the Parade article, and Mary Ann has eaten at your restaurant!"

People from around the country are remembering their Midwest roots or connections to Iowa. Several of my regular customers have exclaimed that a friend or relative from out-of-state has called excitedly to comment on the article. They even send us copies of the article!

Our typical day now: IMom arrives at 5:30 AM to start the first of 20 pies; her assistant arrives at 6:30. I open the door at 6:45 and our first customers are 2 gentlemen from Omaha on their way to Chicago. Why did they stop at the Farmer's Kitchen? The article, of course.  10 calls during the morning: we are traveling through Iowa. How do we get to the restaurant? I read about your sour cream raisin pie!
                 At 10:30, Mom takes a break. At 10:31, Mom starts greeting the customers who are here from Texas, Sioux City, Illinois, Massachusetts, Florida, Kansa, Washington. What brings you here? she asks? The article, of course!!
              Lunch is hectic. It finally slacks of at 2 PM. The waitresses sit down wearily and start wrapping silverware. But, wait a local contingent of Red Hat Ladies swoop in! 12 more pices of pie gone!! I answer the 20 e-mails received taht day requesting our ecipe. Mom answers the letters from little old ladies who dom't know how to use the Internet. then, bakes another 5 pies because the pie case is emptying fast.
                 Dinner time arrives. Local customers are arriving and bringing visitors to see Atlantic's newest attraction, our pie case! Folks from Shenandoah, Harlan, Anita, and other towns stream in. Why? We heard you have a great pie!
                8 PM arrives and we begin to shut down. But, wait! A car of 4 ladies from Colorado pull up! Can we still eat? We read about you in Parade!!

I think we Roadfooders sometimes consider ourselves somewhat superior to the fast food lemmings who populate the country. The last 2 weeks have shown me that there is a vast number of people who do yearn for good food. The Sterns provide that beacon of light. Thank you for your years of dedication to this cause.

buffetbuster

Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Sun, 09/19/10 6:43 PM (permalink)
                Mark, thanks so much for the update!  So nice to read that business is booming and people are coming from all over the country to visit you.  I'm thinking it might be time to give your mom a raise, though!

buffetbuster

Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Fri, 11/19/10 3:46 PM (permalink)
                  Mark, how about an update?  People still visiting from all over the country?  Any good stories?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Sun, 11/21/10 1:28 PM (permalink)
                    I get good feelings when I read, not only of the good food, but of the good people seeking it.  Thanks for sharing the feedback received after the publication.

blizzardstormus

Re:Thanks, Jane & Michael!! Mon, 11/22/10 6:39 PM (permalink)
                      Update: customers from all over the country are still coming in for pie because of the article. Mom has 60 pies going out for Thanksgiving. Her pies are being used as auction items for local charities. 2 pies fetched over $300 for our local Rotary club!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com