Sunday at Citi Field

Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7678
2010/09/18 20:11:06 (permalink)

Sunday at Citi Field

Just a brief respite from Heartlanding in the Breadbasket (I'm barely one third of the way done with that report!)

I took a day trip last Sunday, which will be my last trip for a long long long long long time...

Believe it or not I have not been to the two new (two seasons old) NY Ballparks Yet.  My friends back in NY and I decided to rectify the situation. Since they're all married and I'm not, figuring out the best day was the most difficult task, however logistics worked out the best for the Mets game last Sunday afternoon..

Not wanting to deal with traffic, I got a great advance fare on Amtrak- easy in/easy out. Besides just getting back from my big Heartland trip to a new promotion (and lots of stuff to do) at work and hosting a pie eating Pittsburgher here in Rhode Island last Friday Night and all day Saturday the last thing I wanted to do was drive to New York considering all the "light traffic" I tend to catch on the way up and back.

Leaving Rhode Island without breakfast but with a 32 OZ big cup of coffee from my local coffee house, I arrived at Penn Station a little before 11am-just in time for a late breakfast at 
Rose's Pizza

located right in Penn Station for a couple of slices
For Train Station Pizza, Rose's serves solid NY Style Pizza. Surprisingly it has received favorable reviews on Yelp.com

I hop on the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) and two stops later I arrived at Citi Field

This is what greeted me as soon as I left the Train Station...

Arriving at the Ballpark..

I made sure I walked around exploring all angles of the ballpark..

Finally after arriving in the Rotunda, I decided to check out the Met's Hall of Fame and Museum..

Lots of memorabilia

Original Mets Manager Casey Stengel's Jacket from the 1960's

and of course Mr. Met

Inside the park I was greeted by a really impressive scoreboard

Walking around the park I realized that it was certainly an improvement over its predecessor, Shea Stadium..

Anyway after getting a Brooklyn Lager, the four of us met over near the Shake Shack Concession, about 1/2 hour before the game. We decided to have lunch there. Although the line "looked" long to me my friends told me that the line was surprisingly short. Since the weather was dismal and because the Mets are Lame Ducks, there really wasn't a big crowd at the ballpark.

I've never been to the Shake Shack before. I got a single cheeseburger, my friend Glenn and I shared a Fries and I got a chocolate shake. The burger reminded me of In and Out's. My friends raved over seasoned fries and I found the entire meal extremely ordinary. I'm not sure what the big deal is, unless the Shake Shack concession at the ballpark is sub par (like Primanti's is at PNC Park) (unfortunatley no photos of the meal)

Anyway we sat down at our seats over near right field and watched the game. The Mets were hosting the Phillies that afternoon.

The entire game lacked energy and enthusiasm. It was probably the worst ballgame I went to all season, on top of that it started to rain a little at the bottom of the 8th inning although not enough for a rain delay. Either way the phillies won 3- Zip.

After the game my friend Glenn was nice enough to drive me back into the City. I asked if he wanted to go to Second Avenue Deli for an early Dinner. As soon as I mentioned Second Avenue Deli he rolled his eyes  (kind of like Davydd probably does when I mention Hotdish, Scandinavian Food and Minnesota in the same sentence) Then I have to explain the same thing over and over again whenever I'm back in NY  and mention the words "Jewish Deli" " Yes they're still in business" "No they did not go out of business back in the early 90s" "No I'm not pretending to be my grandfather"

Anyway, when I offered to treat- that convinced him to go...

Unfortunately it was raining fairly steadily by this point and we were lucky to find a parking spot about a block away..

Of course each meal begins with

a pickle tray

and I got

A Dr Brown's Diet Black Cherry Soda... The best diet soda I've ever had...

We started out with an appetizer of Gribenes

aka "Jewish Bacon" or fried chicken skin loaded with caramelized onions...
The best way I could describe this is intense....

We also ordered a side of

Kasha Varnishkes (buckwheat groats with bowtie style pasta)

and for the main course soup with half a sandwich....
In my case

The best Matzoh Ball soup I've ever had at any deli
as well as

The best Pastrami Sandwich

Like the last time I visited 2 years ago. the meal concluded with

A complimentary shot of egg cream..

After dinner, my friend dropped me off at Penn Station and I was back home a little after 11pm..

42 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1