Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 2:11 PM (permalink)
Many members here have professeed a love for the grilled cheese sandwich. Today, Yahoo posted this article on how to grill the perfect sandwich, including finishing in a hot oven, if necessary...Never had problems getting the cheese to melt...I do like some of the variations at the end of the article.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/5-tips-for-the-ultimate-grilled-cheese-2394160/

What do you think?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
    Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 2:31 PM (permalink)
    How can it be grilled cheese if it's cooked in a pan?

I agree with using sturdy bread.  A sandwich made with soft white bread doesn't cut it with me.

Somewhere around here is an old thread about how a grilled cheese sandwich ceases being such when other items are added, like "The Tuscan" mentioned in the story.  Adding prosciutto basically makes it an upscale grilled ham-and-cheese.

Brad
    <message edited by Brad_Olson on Fri, 10/8/10 2:34 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6095
      Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 2:32 PM (permalink)
      I think my grilled cheese gets about 6 slices of bacon broken to size, inside of the bread, grilled in garlic butter.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9555
        Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 2:37 PM (permalink)
        Like the idea of using the oven to make multiple sandwiches at one time.
        Here's my "Tip of the Day":
        Don't spread butter on the bread. Add the butter to the pan and melt it THEN add a slice of bread and swoosh it around to evenly coat the bread. Add the cheese(s). When the slice is toasted , remove it from the pan, add another slice of bread on top, add more butter to the pan if needed. Flip and put the untoasted side down and put it back in the pan. Cover with a lid to aid the cheese melting. And most important, NEVER use Margarine! 
        <message edited by Foodbme on Fri, 10/8/10 2:52 PM>

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
          Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 2:42 PM (permalink)
          A little mayo on the inside makes it tangy.

Foodbme

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 2:55 PM (permalink)
            Brad_Olson

Brad

Because Panned Cheese just doesn't sound right!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17833
              Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 3:01 PM (permalink)
              I wsa probably 40 years old the first time I ever heard a toasted cheese sandwich called a grilled cheese sandwich.

leethebard

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 3:17 PM (permalink)
                I too love a wide variety of variations.....and I disagree, a grilled cheese sandwich can have lot's of other things added to the cheese....I like a grilled ham and swiss on rye...I also like a grilled cheddar and montery jack with a little salsa in it.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                  Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 3:42 PM (permalink)
                  How can one manage to pry open a grilled, melted-cheese sandwich at the end to insert anything

Foodbme

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 3:42 PM (permalink)
                    Michael Hoffman

I wsa probably 40 years old the first time I ever heard a toasted cheese sandwich called a grilled cheese sandwich.

You obviously have lead a sheltered life!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                      Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 4:03 PM (permalink)
                      ALLGOOD

A little mayo on the inside makes it tangy.

I thought there was only ONE person in the world that ate their grilled cheese with mayo, my BF. The first time I made them for him I ended up with butter all over my hand spreading the mayo on the inside of the bread. I will start melting the butter in the pan first.  I tried it once, wasn't so bad but I prefer mine the "boring" way.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
                        Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 4:08 PM (permalink)
                        Actually, I put the mayo on right when I put the cheese in it, before I put butter on the outside of the bread.  If you cook it at a high enough temperature it ends up fine that way and the mayo doesn't soak into the bread.

leethebard

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 4:18 PM (permalink)
                          I've heard of people putting mayo on the outside,instead of butter. Does that work????

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 5:07 PM (permalink)
                            Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

You obviously have lead a sheltered life!

What makes you say that?

MellowRoast

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 5:27 PM (permalink)
                              Not only do I enjoy the "toothsome country-style" bread to which the author refers, but I also love those wonderful Waffle House grilled cheese sandwiches made with lowly supermarket white bread!

Holly Moore

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 6:12 PM (permalink)
                                The more aged the cheddar the better the sandwich. My favorite addition, in season Jersey tomatoes.

My father used a waffle iron - not Belgian, but small grids. So do I.  A great grilled cheese sandwich - and the cheese that drips off onto the iron gets all crispy and toasty.  Great nibbling along with the sandwich.

chewingthefat

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

Cheese wasn't around when you were 39!

chewingthefat

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                    MellowRoast

How can one manage to pry open a grilled, melted-cheese sandwich at the end to insert anything

In my case, the bacon goes on before grilling.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                      chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Cheese wasn't around when you were 39!

I know you didn't really miss the point. I knew them -- and still know them -- as toasted cheese sandwiches. That's because what you are doing when making one is toasting the bread on a flat grill or in a skillet, not grilling the bread. Unless, of course, you use an actual grill, and I doubt many people use grills to make such sandwiches -- although I'd bet that the coals would impart a delightful added flavor.
                                      <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Fri, 10/8/10 10:27 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                        Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Fri, 10/8/10 11:59 PM (permalink)
                                        Foodbme

Brad_Olson

Brad

Because Panned Cheese just doesn't sound right!

Twinwillow

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 12:02 AM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

In England, it's always a "toasted cheese" sandwich.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                            Twinwillow

Michael Hoffman

In England, it's always a "toasted cheese" sandwich.

That's interesting. Those limeys finally got something right.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                              Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                              leethebard

I've heard of people putting mayo on the outside,instead of butter. Does that work????

Have done that a few times, works pretty good and nice for a change evey now and then.
                                              I like a wide varity of "grilled chesse" also, but the classic remains the best. White bread and
                                              Velveeta, it's just that gooey factor I guess.

chewingthefat

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                A Pannini grill  does a good job on GCS.

Twinwillow

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  Seriously, the very best thing about making a grilled (or toasted) cheese sandwich is, regardless of whether it's made on a flat top or a pan, IT ONLY TAKES 5 MINUTES!!!

MellowRoast

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                                    Chewingthefat & Twinwillow:  You got that right.  With all this discussion, I prepared two of them this morning in a sandwich press.  And I've learned they're darn good using English muffins, too.
                                                    <message edited by MellowRoast on Sat, 10/9/10 2:55 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                                      MellowRoast

Chewingthefat & Twinwillow:  You got that right.  With all this discussion, I prepared two of them this morning in a sandwich press.  And I've learned they're darn good using English muffins, too.

Mmm, the English muffin thing sounds, great! Gotta try it.

MellowRoast

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                                        By the way, I make sure the inside of the muffin is grilled/toasted first before I put the whole thing together.  Provides me an extra-crunchy texture. 

Wintem01

• Total Posts: 205
                                                          • Location: Columbus, OH
                                                          Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                                          Brad_Olson

I agree with using sturdy bread.  A sandwich made with soft white bread doesn't cut it with me.

Somewhere around here is an old thread about how a grilled cheese sandwich ceases being such when other items are added, like "The Tuscan" mentioned in the story.  Adding prosciutto basically makes it an upscale grilled ham-and-cheese.

Brad

Are you kidding?!?!Who makes a griiled cheese on an actual grill? Let the abuse begin.

Twinwillow

Re:Tips for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich Sat, 10/9/10 6:57 PM (permalink)
                                                            If I'm correct, the term "grilling" actually refers to cooking on a flat top. Like in a diner.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 62

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com