The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap?

Big Jake

• Total Posts: 19
how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Sat, 01/24/04 8:31 AM (permalink)
I thinking about have mac and cheese as a sideorder on my menu. any tips, recepis on how to make it cheap and fast? I was hoping I could make a huge batch and freeze it in terracotta forms thats one serving big. and heat em up on order...any suggestions?

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Sat, 01/24/04 9:41 AM (permalink)
    Cheap and Fast? Bulk Elbow Macaroni, cooked, drained well, put in a container and add some olive oil to coat it... Add some food service bagged Cheddar Cheese Powder and hand toss till fully coated... (Powder works better if you add it to some milk and whisk, then pour over noodles and toss)... Thats the fast and cheap food service method... Tasty??? Not in my book!

You can also talk to your food service sales rep... They carry a pre-cooked serving size of the stuff... Tasty??? Not in my book! (You either put the serving packets in boiling water (on the steam table I think, or for sure nuke them)... That and not very cost effective!

But all that commercial stuff aside, I'd recomend the following link:
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=778

Good Luck!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Sat, 01/24/04 9:56 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Big Jake

I thinking about have mac and cheese as a sideorder on my menu. any tips, recepis on how to make it cheap and fast? I was hoping I could make a huge batch and freeze it in terracotta forms thats one serving big. and heat em up on order...any suggestions?

Oh ya, and the biggie one I missed... FRESH IS BETTER THEN FROZEN! Better / Fresher taste = More return customers!!! Follow the above link and I bet people come back for more and more! Again, Good Luck!

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
        RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Sat, 01/24/04 11:07 AM (permalink)
        Fast yes, cheap-depends how cheap.
        Boil your noodles till just short of done. Plunge them into icewater, drain and when fairly dry coat with a small amount of oil. They will keep this way under refridgeration for 4 days.
        To serve just heat a little 35% cream (it won't separate) with lemon juice or white wine. It needs a bit of acid to make flavours stand out.
        Re-heat pasta in this and toss in a mixture of your favourite cheeses at the last minute. I find jack cheese melts perfectly with a bit of parmesan for sharpness.

Hope this helps

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
          RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Sat, 01/24/04 2:17 PM (permalink)
          Big Jake, there's a recipe on a neighboring thread at:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2181&whichpage=2 .

FYI.

Big Jake

RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 2:17 AM (permalink)
            tried it last nite. made a reux, but didnt have wheat flour, so I had to use barley. used a big slap of swiss and a smaller one of cheddar, mixed it with some pickled chilies and ate it. sprinkled some crushed chips on top. it lacked some sting or something....how long would some mac and cheese made with milk stay in the fridge?

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
              RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 3:21 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Big Jake

it lacked some sting or something....how long would some mac and cheese made with milk stay in the fridge?
              For sting--or zing--in general, I often use a lot of Tabasco (the red version) added before cooking. It gives a pleasant bite w/o melting your fillings.

At the same time, I'm reminded of a sign I saw in a service station:

Quality
              Low Price
              Speed
              -----Pick any two

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 2:01 PM (permalink)
                Jake, If you made big pans of old fashioned baked macaroni and cheese, generously using good ingredients, and served it up hot and fresh and in good portion, you'd have none left to refrigerate for another day.

First rate macaroni and cheese can even be a main entree. I'd buy it often. This dish is not that labor intensive, and you don't have to offer it every day.

How many times outside the home have any of us had a genuinely good order of macaroni and cheese, a dish that's a favorite of nearly everyone?

Nowadays, people in our country go wild for something good to eat. The financial return you seek is more likely to come from something fine and worthy, not something else fast and cheap.

Sorry to be preachy, Jake, but I grew up in a family restaurant that made EVERYTHING from scratch. I know what we're missing in this oh-so-fine modern age.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                  RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 3:04 PM (permalink)
                  I'm with Jim, There's nothing better than really good macaroni & cheese, firm, not runny, and nice and crisp on top. Last time I was in Atlanta I found many good versions. One of the best was at the Blue Willow Inn, and the recipe is undoubtedly in the Stern's book shown at the top of the Home page.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                    RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 4:45 PM (permalink)
                    What I wonder is what's up with kid's these days? At least mine anyway. While I WILL eat Velveeta Shells and Cheese, I'd much rather have homemade to which my kid's reply "YUCK"! "MOM!Where's the shells and cheese!" So we have a kid's pot and and a large stringy, cheesey baked pan for adults.

Big Jake

RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 4:55 PM (permalink)
                      I agree about the whole quality is better concept, the only problem is that I live in Norway, ingredients are expensive and our kitchen is VERY cramped. also I only expect to sell a couple of orders of mac and cheese a day, so I need it to keep in the frigde if Im gonna make money on it. so mayby theres a middlepath were I can make quality food, cheap and make it keep in the fridge?

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                        RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 5:20 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by clothier

My oldest will eat either mine, or the kind Mrs Clothier makes out of the big box. He won't, however, eat it if I make the blue box or Mrs C makes homemade. Tastes wrong, he says.

The younger will not eat mac-n cheese unless it's blue box. All he'll eat if it's homemade is the pasta without ony cheese sauce.

And we can't have shells in the house. Mrs. C's rule. Forced to sit at the dinner table until she ate all her dinner when she was young, which contained shells some of the time, won't eat them at all now.

Interesting house my wife grew up in.

I grew up on Kraft Dinner! I tried not too long agoalthough I'd eat it if I had too. They didn't have the Velveeta(yellow box)when I was growing up. I'd occasionally have homemade but not often.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                          RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Mon, 01/26/04 9:56 PM (permalink)
                          Jake---the good stuff keeps very well in the freezer--how about making a batch up and putting it in ramikins to freeze individually--then just pull what youll need for the day to stick in the oven and bake off to a nice brown cruchy top! Should be able to make it in a small enough batch so that you dont have to keep it frozen to long. I know that i do this at home cause i learned to cook in a LARGE italian family and commercially and cqant cook for 2! Works great!

Big Jake

RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Tue, 01/27/04 3:28 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by tiki

Jake---the good stuff keeps very well in the freezer--how about making a batch up and putting it in ramikins to freeze individually--then just pull what youll need for the day to stick in the oven and bake off to a nice brown cruchy top! Should be able to make it in a small enough batch so that you dont have to keep it frozen to long. I know that i do this at home cause i learned to cook in a LARGE italian family and commercially and cqant cook for 2! Works great!

this is what Ive been exepeimenting with...saves kitchen space and preparing time, as theres always only one person at work...

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                              RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Tue, 01/27/04 4:25 AM (permalink)
                              NOrway, that's very different. Never mind.

Jake, good luck.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                RE: how to make mac and cheese fast, easy and cheap? Tue, 01/27/04 4:30 AM (permalink)
                                For a little "zing", try some jalapeno peppers if you can get them.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com