Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4009
2010/10/13 13:16:25 (permalink)

Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms

I've been visiting in Oregon for a few weeks now and there is a nice trip report coming. I was so excited about today, however, that I had to write up something about the oysters immediately. I stopped at the Oregon Oyster Farms today on the Yaquina Bay, just outside Newport, Oregon. Even if you didn't see the sign, you'd know it was an oyster place, with the tons of shells on the ground and stretching into the bay.

The building itself is built on a pier over the river. There was a fishing boat (I'm assuming oyster) tied up to the dock when I walked to the end of the pier.

According to their website, the owners started Dan and Louis' Oyster Bar in Portland. Michael Stern's review of Dan and Louis' talks about the oysters being supplied from their own beds. I had come to the source.
Inside the retail store was a very pleasant young lady behind the counter. We had a nice discussion about oyster sizes and types. We also discussed opening them. She is much braver than I am these days! She opened a Kumumoto for me. The taste was magnificent, smooth and less briny than most. I debated on buying them, but settled on a pint of small pre-shucked fresh oysters and a container of their homemade cocktail sauce. She packed them in ice and I was on my way.

Back at my brother's house, I chopped a few stalks of celery and the green part of a few scallions. The small oysters were much larger than I expected. Two of them made a nice cocktail. Bonus---I have enough oysters for cocktails tomorrow too! After putting down the bed of celery and the oysters, I topped two with the cocktail sauce and the green onion and made a third without the sauce, adding just a splash of key lime juice. This is how they turned out.

Delicious!

Oregon Oyster Farms
6878 Yaquina Bay Road
Newport, Oregon 97365
541-265-5078
www.oregonoyster.com

26 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1