The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? (LINK FIXED)

wheregreggeats.com

ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? (LINK FIXED) Thu, 10/14/10 7:47 AM (permalink)
Although I detest slide shows on web sites ...
http://www.sasquatchbooks.com/best_places.htm#     SEE BELOW
... there are some pretty pictures here.
<message edited by wheregreggeats.com on Mon, 10/18/10 10:06 AM>

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 10/16/10 9:00 PM (permalink)
    you lost me here greg

wheregreggeats.com

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sun, 10/17/10 4:36 PM (permalink)
      sk bob

you lost me here gregg

I'm not surprised.  It is the wrong link.

I went looking and can't find the intended link again ... Maybe a moderator can dust this thread.  I'll report back if I find the intended link again.
      <message edited by wheregreggeats.com on Mon, 10/18/10 9:59 AM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Mon, 10/18/10 9:57 AM (permalink)
        Ta da:
        Found the correct link ...
        LINK

Foodosaurus

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Mon, 10/18/10 10:24 AM (permalink)
          I've been to four out of nine of the places that are listed.  A little disappointed to not see Jerry's Pizza in Middletown on the list.

Looks like I'm going to have to get out on the pizza trail soon.  Too many good pies out there to miss.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
            Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Mon, 10/18/10 10:33 AM (permalink)
            Here I am in the damned middle of America and you do that. What a lousy thing to do!

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
              Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Mon, 10/18/10 10:57 AM (permalink)
              Move back to CT, MH.....

Michael Hoffman

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Mon, 10/18/10 11:00 AM (permalink)
                Who can afford to live there?

JoCLy52

• Total Posts: 1
                  Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 10/23/10 6:57 AM (permalink)
                  Salerno's Apizza in Stratford would change anyones mind..even those deep dish types

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                    Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 10/23/10 8:45 AM (permalink)
                    I hit a good number of the listed places along with  few that should have. There are so many contenders. My only regret is that I never ever had pizzas from BAR and Roseland.
                    As far as the locals in the city of New Haven are concerned, Bar is right up there as one of the top three in New Haven.
                    With Roseland, I seem to recall that I was sort of travelin manned a couple of times. My loss....
                    Connecticut has seriously spoiled me as far as pizza is concerned. Trying to find the kind of pie I am searching for is like replacing a long lost love. Those are expectations that are hard to match. Love can be that way.........

mark

<message edited by doggydaddy on Sat, 10/23/10 8:53 AM>

scovig

• Total Posts: 22
                      Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 10/23/10 10:21 AM (permalink)
                      Little Rendezvous in Meriden is a hidden gem. They have been at their current location since 1940 and they are using a 122 year old bread oven (it's a former bakery) to bake their pies. The pie with sauce and grated parmesan is simple but addictive. They have a website but I am unable to post the link.
                      <message edited by scovig on Sun, 10/24/10 11:41 AM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                        Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 10/23/10 10:42 AM (permalink)
                        scovig

Little Rendezvous in Meriden is a hidden gem. They have been at their current location since 19440 and they are using a 122 year old bread oven (it's a former bakery) to bake their pies. The pie with sauce and grated parmesan is simple but addictive. They have a website but I am unable to post the link.

scovig

Here you go Little Rendezvous in Meriden  I think you have to have a certain amount of posts before can post a link.

This place has just been put on my short list.  Thanks for the info!

TimothyGlutton

• Total Posts: 10
                          Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Wed, 11/3/10 3:36 PM (permalink)
                          Back in the day, Jerry's in Bridgeport was the joint. The sign outside didn't even say "Ahbeetz." It Read "Tomato Pies." And yes, they DID have the "scamotes."

TG

Michael Hoffman

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Wed, 11/3/10 4:04 PM (permalink)
                            TimothyGlutton

Back in the day, Jerry's in Bridgeport was the joint. The sign outside didn't even say "Ahbeetz." It Read "Tomato Pies." And yes, they DID have the "scamotes."

TG

Ah, Jerry's, on Pequonnock Street. The first place I ever heard of scamorze (I know, I know -- ska-MOATS).

Now you've awakened a sleeping monster out in Washington. Say Hello Billy.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                              Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Wed, 11/3/10 5:53 PM (permalink)
                              OMG Michael, if we find a few more people we will have a Ah-Beets club. I have to go I'm starting the tear up..............

Michael Hoffman

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Wed, 11/3/10 6:59 PM (permalink)

anpmarble

• Total Posts: 7
                                  Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Fri, 11/5/10 8:33 PM (permalink)
                                  where is dominos, pizza hut ,papa john and papa ginos now thats great pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                    Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Fri, 11/5/10 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                    I've held off commenting on this list because I think its total BS.
                                    I've lived in CT.for 50years before wising up & moving south.
                                    when I have time I will tellyou about the good pizza joints in CT that I have been to that puts most of those places to shame.

anpmarble, you should have included Randy's wooster st. in that list.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                      Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 11/6/10 8:24 AM (permalink)
                                      ahh yes----i will EATING that lucsious looking white clam pie sometime around the 20th of this month!!!! Cant wiat to get back to REAL "ah beets"!!! afraid the decent pizzas here in oklahoma are few and FAR between--like the hot dogs---and i am about to get my fill of both!! :)

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                        Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Sat, 11/6/10 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                        scovig

Little Rendezvous in Meriden is a hidden gem. They have been at their current location since 1940 and they are using a 122 year old bread oven (it's a former bakery) to bake their pies. The pie with sauce and grated parmesan is simple but addictive. They have a website but I am unable to post the link.

Their direction finder says I am 1,305 miles away but can get there driving in slightly less than 24 hours.

Oh well, I've gone farther for pizza. Last month I went all the way to Naples, Italy.

pookie1203

• Total Posts: 7
                                          Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Thu, 11/11/10 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                          This is the link..

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                                            Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/16/10 7:50 AM (permalink)
                                            why would anyone get excited about a plain pie without pepperoni?

wheregreggeats.com

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/16/10 8:04 AM (permalink)
                                              marzsit

New Haven Apizza needs no embellishment.
                                              I do like combos, but a CT pie is unlike anything else ... especially anything else in 206/425-land.  I can attest to that from 18 years living in 98040.

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                                                Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/16/10 8:22 AM (permalink)
                                                i had a sully's pie last year when my company sent me to thomaston to visit a riveter factory.. ok, but not great by any means, basically an appetizer without the main course, skimpy toppings and really expensive.......... i was much more impressed by the burgers at ted's in meriden...

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                                  Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/16/10 9:12 AM (permalink)
                                                  marzsit

Ha! I found Heaven was a plain pie. Margherita pizza consisting of nothing but Caputo 00 crust (flour water, salt and yeast), unadulterated San Martino tomatoes crushed into a sauce grown at the base of Mount Vesuvius, di Bufala Mozzarella cheese, a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprig of whole leaf basil and NOTHING ELSE baked in a wood-fired oven at 900 degrees for 90 seconds. Naples, Italy changed my concept of how to make a pizza and I have sampled every kind of pizza imaginable across the country and made several of my own in all varieties and in all kinds of ovens. I thought my pizza skills were evolving but evidently not enough. I can't rest now until I can duplicate that taste explosion which means I definitely have to build that wood-fired brick oven I have been planning this past year.

Michael Hoffman

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/16/10 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                                    marzsit

You must be joking.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/16/10 1:01 PM (permalink)

Joking aside, although I enjoy toppings on a pizza, I have learned that plain is the best "equal playing field" when appraising a pie someplace ... I think I learned that from Ellen at Joe's here in 'hamp.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
                                                        • Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                                                        Re:ah Beetz ... Connecticut's Best ??? Tue, 11/23/10 10:32 PM (permalink)

Agreed..   A good pie doesn't need flavor hiding embellishments like pepperoni, etc..   A good margharita pizza stands on its own.

"Crisp-chewy" crust.  San Marzano based tomato sauce.   Scamorza ("Sca-Moats")  / Mozzerella ("Mootz").  Basil.   Hot coal fired over.  Done. 
                                                        If you need to pile on extras, it's usually because the basic pizza itself wasn't pulling it off on it's own merit. 

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Tue, 11/23/10 10:33 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com