The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

cast iron advice. did I ruin it?

Rando

• Total Posts: 117
cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Mon, 11/1/10 3:05 PM (permalink)
OK, so I bought a cast iron pan, nice and black and shiny. Lodge "preseasoned".  cooked with it a couple of times, seasoned it well, looked great, shiny, black.  this morning after cooking, I just left it on the burner a little too long and now there is a big circle of gray in the center surrounded by black at the edges, like I have burned all the goodness off it.    did I screw it up?  will I have to re-season it for years to get the black back? 

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
    Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Mon, 11/1/10 5:29 PM (permalink)
    Soak it overnight, use steel wool, you should be OK.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
      Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Mon, 11/1/10 5:47 PM (permalink)
      RE-SEASONING YOUR LODGE COOKWARE
      While maintaining the seasoning (as in Step 5 above) should keep your Cast Iron in good condition, at some point you may need to repeat the seasoning process.  If food sticks to the surface, or you notice a dull, gray color, repeat the seasoning process:
      • Wash the cookware with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush.  (It is okay to use soap this time because you are preparing to re-season the cookware).  Rinse and dry completely.
      • Apply a thin, even coating of MELTED solid vegetable shortening (or cooking oil of your choice) to the cookware (inside and out).
      • Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any dripping.
      • Set oven temperature to 350 – 400 degrees F.
      • Place cookware upside down on the top rack of the oven. 
      • Bake the cookware for at least one hour.
      • After the hour, turn the oven off and let the cookware cool in the oven.
      • Store the cookware uncovered, in a dry place when cooled.

For any questions on the use and care of Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron, e-mail  info@lodgemfg.com, or call our Customer Service Department at 423-837-7181.
      <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 11/1/10 5:48 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Mon, 11/1/10 6:18 PM (permalink)
        If you have a propane grill outside, you might want to re-season the pan on it ... I'd steel wool it and boil a bunch of oil in there.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
          Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Tue, 11/2/10 12:39 PM (permalink)
          actually---steel wool will scratch cast iron--small scratches-- but there---use Copper scrubbers for cast iron--steel wool for wood finish! after you scrub it---no SOAP_--HOT water-fill it with about 1/2 inch of salt and stick it in your oven on high heat and backe for 30 mins --dump the salt--wipe with an oiled paper towel

<message edited by tiki on Tue, 11/2/10 12:42 PM>

wheregreggeats.com

Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Tue, 11/2/10 12:48 PM (permalink)
            Yes.  Salt is a much better solution than steel wool.

Sundancer7

Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Tue, 11/2/10 1:27 PM (permalink)
              Rando

OK, so I bought a cast iron pan, nice and black and shiny. Lodge "preseasoned".  cooked with it a couple of times, seasoned it well, looked great, shiny, black.  this morning after cooking, I just left it on the burner a little too long and now there is a big circle of gray in the center surrounded by black at the edges, like I have burned all the goodness off it.    did I screw it up?  will I have to re-season it for years to get the black back? 

Mamaw Smith who lives next door gave me one that is probably 80 years old.  I have seen her put it on a huge brush fire and leave it there for several hours.  She simply cleans it and puts oil on it and heats it.  I have had it for about 8 years and still works like a charm.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Tue, 11/2/10 4:02 PM (permalink)
                 I have "burned" my cast iron before and have never had to scrub it with steel wool. I usually use a new nylon scrubbie and a little soap and water. Dry well and heat to about 375. Add a small amount of veggie oil and swipe it around. wipe out any excess oil and store in a cool dry place.

I got my cast iron from my Mom 25 years ago when I moved into my first apartment. They still look as good as the day I got them.

David O.

Rando

• Total Posts: 117
                  Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Thu, 11/4/10 2:34 PM (permalink)
                  Thanks, y'all.  I just seasoned it up a couple of times and cooked more bacon and fried chicken in it and it is looking better.    I guess you can't really hurt these things.  as a novice my first cast iron pan I threw away because it got rust on it (yeah, I know)  ... now I would know what to do with it,  I love cooking with it.

rjb

• Total Posts: 451
                    Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Thu, 11/4/10 3:23 PM (permalink)
                    Relax.  About the only thing you can do to hurt a cast iron pan, other than dropping it on a concrete floor and breaking the handle off (which I've done) is soak it in water for a long time or leave it out in the rain.  Scrub it out (feel free to use soap, just rinse it well) dry it off, then make a batch of fried chicken in it.  Presto -- reseasoned pan and dinner to boot.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
                      Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Thu, 11/4/10 3:28 PM (permalink)
                      Mine was completely ruined last month   by my  granddaughter  putting it in the dishwasher!

irisarbor

• Total Posts: 602
                        Re:cast iron advice. did I ruin it? Thu, 11/4/10 4:02 PM (permalink)
                        OH my, at least she meant well, and was trying to clean up...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com