The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pot Roast: when to slice?

bartl

• Total Posts: 1209
Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 11:21 AM (permalink)
For those of us who make pot roasts: my technique has always been to take the roast out of the pot after about 75-80% of the cooking time, slicing it, putting the slices back in the gravy (depending on the gravy texture I want, often putting  stick blender to it before replacing the meat), and finish cooking it. I notice that restaurants usually slice the meat upon serving, putting the gravy over the meat. What method(s) do you use (note that I use rump or bottom round for pot roasts; I use shoulder for stews, and briskets are for the smoker).

Bart
<message edited by bartl on Mon, 11/22/10 11:22 AM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
    Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 12:11 PM (permalink)
    bartl

For those of us who make pot roasts: my technique has always been to take the roast out of the pot after about 75-80% of the cooking time, slicing it, putting the slices back in the gravy (depending on the gravy texture I want, often putting  stick blender to it before replacing the meat), and finish cooking it. I notice that restaurants usually slice the meat upon serving, putting the gravy over the meat. What method(s) do you use (note that I use rump or bottom round for pot roasts; I use shoulder for stews, and briskets are for the smoker).

Bart

Unique method, sounds good, in as much as there is so little juice in a pot roast.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
      Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 12:22 PM (permalink)
      Personally, I would never slice or cut into meat until at least up to 20-30 minutes (depending on weight) after it's been fully cooked.
      And, depending on what type of gravy I'm doing, I might strain the veggies and reduce the gravy to make it thicker. Adding them and fresh chopped parsley to the finished dish over the gravy. Sometime I like to add a Beurre Manie' to the gravy to thicken it.
      And although I'll always braise my roast with garlic and onion, I'll only add carrot and potato about an hour before the meat is done. That keeps them fresh and the carrot retains it's vibrant colour.

I like to use a "7 bone" roast when I can find a butcher who still sells them or, a shoulder for pot roasting.
      <message edited by Twinwillow on Mon, 11/22/10 12:27 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 12:39 PM (permalink)
        bartl

Bart

Re: Brisket ~ I use an old Jewish Russian recipe that my mother always used to make a pot roasted/braised brisket. She fried (lots of) onions and garlic (in Crisco) and browned the brisket (rubbed with paprika) and then added about a cup to a cup and a half of (Heinz) KETCHUP with carrots and potatoes and slow cooked it on the stove (I put it in a 250ᵒ oven) for about 4 hours. No other liquid! The ketchup makes a large amount of incredible tasting gravy.
        <message edited by Twinwillow on Mon, 11/22/10 12:46 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
          Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 12:56 PM (permalink)
          I use rump roast, and I never slice the meat till after it's done, and has rested for a few minutes.

bartl

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 1:50 PM (permalink)
            Michael Hoffman
            I use rump roast, and I never slice the meat till after it's done, and has rested for a few minutes.

Just to verify, I'm talking, for example, in a slow cooker, slicing after 6 hours and then putting it in for another 2-3 hours. I haven't made a pot roast in the oven or on the stovetop for years, so I don't recall the timing, but the meat is, at it's least well-cooked, a little pink in the middle when I slice it.

Bart

bartl

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 1:55 PM (permalink)
              Twinwillow
              Re: Brisket ~ I use an old Jewish Russian recipe that my mother always used to make a pot roasted/braised brisket. She fried (lots of) onions and garlic (in Crisco) and browned the brisket (rubbed with paprika) and then added about a cup to a cup and a half of (Heinz) KETCHUP with carrots and potatoes and slow cooked it on the stove (I put it in a 250ᵒ oven) for about 4 hours. No other liquid! The ketchup makes a large amount of incredible tasting gravy.

Brisket makes a fine pot roast. However, it is on the expensive side (at least in New Jersey, where it is $4-5 a pound normally, and I have not seen it drop below $3/pound in a couple of years), so, as I can often get bottom round at $1.69 a pound and rump at $1.89 a pound, I use those for pot roasts and reserve the brisket for smoking (although a chuck roast can come out decently in the smoker, as well).

Trimming the fat from a chuck/shoulder roast is difficult enough that I cube it and make a stew rather than a pot roast out of it (or, if I am very ambitious, I cut it into 1/4" cubes, brown it in batches in its own fat, glaze with beef broth, and use it for chili).

Bart

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 2:15 PM (permalink)
                Slice ??? my wife's pot roast just falls apart!!   I like med rare, but the "dog" meat Harvey's sells an't worth it and can be used to resole shoes.  ..... Can you send me some of the bottom round at $1.69/ lb??   Bottom (USDA cutter pack-dog meat) round is closer to $6/lb here and brisket just when from $1.69 to $2.49/lb.
                <message edited by edwmax on Mon, 11/22/10 2:17 PM>

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                  Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 2:26 PM (permalink)
                  I just cooked a fantastic round bone pot roast (arm roast, or chuck roast) yesterday.  I still do it the old-fashioned way my mother taught me -- wipe down the meat, salt and pepper, then brown the roast in a little shortenng in the dutch oven on the stove top, then pour off excess fat, add water (to go about 2/3 the way up on the meat), cover, and cook at 350 degrees for a couple of hours. Then add parboiled potatoes and carrots to the dutch oven, putting the meat on top of the vegetables, adding the water from the parboiled vegetables to get the water level back up to about 2/3 the way up the meat, cover, and cook for another hour and half (or more). 

And then the meat basically falls apart.

I know a lot of people will consider this too plain, but I love it.   It's hard to get round bone roasts from a regular grocery store these days.  We got this one from a local farmer who was selling beef and pork at our local farmer's market.  It was fantastic -- tremendous flavor; no spices, tomatoes, herbs,  onions, etc., necessary -- at least as far as I'm concerned.   And I love to eat the hunk of marrow out of the bone.

seafarer john

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 2:37 PM (permalink)
                    Twinwillow: What is a "7 bone roast" - I mean where n the cow is it located?

Cheers, John 

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 2:52 PM (permalink)
                      seafarer john

Twinwillow: What is a "7 bone roast" - I mean where n the cow is it located?

Cheers, John 

John, others here should be of more help than me on this one but basically, it's called a 7 bone because thats kind of the shape of the bone still in the roast. And, I believe it's from the chuck. It's always been considered the best cut to use for pot roast. Today, there aren't real "butchers" in the large supermarkets. They all get their large cuts pre-trimmed, butchered, and pre-packed at a meat processing facility that provides the supermarket's meat department. But, if you have a real butcher shop where you live, seek them out and have them do a large 7 bone in chuck roast. Thankfully we still have (only) a few left in Dallas, 

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 2:54 PM (permalink)
                        rumaki

I just cooked a fantastic round bone pot roast (arm roast, or chuck roast) yesterday.  I still do it the old-fashioned way my mother taught me -- wipe down the meat, salt and pepper, then brown the roast in a little shortenng in the dutch oven on the stove top, then pour off excess fat, add water (to go about 2/3 the way up on the meat), cover, and cook at 350 degrees for a couple of hours. Then add parboiled potatoes and carrots to the dutch oven, putting the meat on top of the vegetables, adding the water from the parboiled vegetables to get the water level back up to about 2/3 the way up the meat, cover, and cook for another hour and half (or more). 

And then the meat basically falls apart.

I know a lot of people will consider this too plain, but I love it.   It's hard to get round bone roasts from a regular grocery store these days.  We got this one from a local farmer who was selling beef and pork at our local farmer's market.  It was fantastic -- tremendous flavor; no spices, tomatoes, herbs,  onions, etc., necessary -- at least as far as I'm concerned.   And I love to eat the hunk of marrow out of the bone.

Sounds, great!

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 3:11 PM (permalink)
                          edwmax

Slice ??? my wife's pot roast just falls apart!! 

As it should!

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                            Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 3:56 PM (permalink)
                            Like some else said, pot roast just falls apart, cooked in a pot on the stove, in a pressure cooker or crock pot. ie the aforementioned 7 bone or 7 blade roast. Roast beef is that roast that is sliced.

edwmax

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 5:27 PM (permalink)
                              Twinwillow

edwmax

Slice ??? my wife's pot roast just falls apart!! 

As it should!

Yeah, ... we also go by a couple other general rules in the south and our house.
                              • We eat trout, salmon, deer and elk, beef, pork & chicken. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the corner bait shop. 
                              • No, there's no 'vegetarian special' on the menu. Order steak, or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham and turkey. 
                              • When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and ketchup!   .... Oh, yeah ... We don't care what you folks in Cincinnati call that stuff you eat ... IT AIN'T REAL CHILI!!
                              • ..... .....
                              <message edited by edwmax on Mon, 11/22/10 5:30 PM>

seafarer john

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks Twinwillow, it's what we know as a blade cut. Funny thing is, we would never think of cooking a pot roast with a bone in it - our pot roast are always boneless. But that may be just our family, maybe the guys next door have their pot roast with bone in...

Cheers, John 

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                  I think everything is better when cooked with the bone!

edwmax

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                    Why pay extra to have the bone taken out?  My grocery charges real money to make a roast boneless. ... Heck the dog has got to eat too.    .... An gravy ...two days after the roast has been eaten, we are still spooning thick gravy over biscuits. 

hannahbannah

• Total Posts: 31
                                      Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Mon, 11/22/10 8:39 PM (permalink)
                                      I use a 7 bone chuck.  This recipe is from an old Maine cookbook. 
                                      1 seven bone chuck
                                      1 large can of tomato juice
                                      2 large onions
                                      3 tablespoons brown sugar (ish)
                                      potato and carrots
                                      Sweat onions in a dutch oven.  Add roast(s&p to taste), juice, and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer on top of the stove for a few hours .Towards the end of cooking  add potato and carrot chunks. cook till fork tender.
                                      I sometimes use a large can of crushed tomato if I have no juice.  The recipe says you do not need to brown the meat.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  I never thicken the gravy.
                                        The whole idea of pot roast is to use a cheap cut of meat.  I like to use a bone in when I braise, but you can use a boneless chuck. 

seafarer john

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                        Twinwllow: I agree that a bone adds great flavor to any cut of meat - but , I'm too old to change now, and we always did the pot roast boneless - besides they. are a lot easier to carve without the bone. 

Cheers, John 

bdtn

• Total Posts: 98
                                          Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                          the 7 bone roast is the first or second cut on the chuck wher it is next to the rib the chuck and the rib are primal  cuts and are cut between the fourt and fith rib so the 7 bones lower part is a rib eye or its also called a chuck eye. the other end or the rib is the ny strip .

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
                                            Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                            edwmax

Why pay extra to have the bone taken out?  My grocery charges real money to make a roast boneless. ... Heck the dog has got to eat too.    .... An gravy ...two days after the roast has been eaten, we are still spooning thick gravy over biscuits. 

Add some cooked chopped up sage sausage to that gravy!

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                              chewingthefat

edwmax

Add some cooked chopped up sage sausage to that gravy!

Amen to that.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                                bartl

Twinwillow

Brisket makes a fine pot roast. However, it is on the expensive side (at least in New Jersey, where it is $4-5 a pound normally, and I have not seen it drop below $3/pound in a couple of years), so, as I can often get bottom round at $1.69 a pound and rump at $1.89 a pound, I use those for pot roasts and reserve the brisket for smoking (although a chuck roast can come out decently in the smoker, as well).

Trimming the fat from a chuck/shoulder roast is difficult enough that I cube it and make a stew rather than a pot roast out of it (or, if I am very ambitious, I cut it into 1/4" cubes, brown it in batches in its own fat, glaze with beef broth, and use it for chili).

Bart

I know a pot roast is any roast cooked in a pot, but using brisket seems 
                                                a shame considering the other fine uses for it.

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                                  Bill, you have to understand, we lived in a tiny apartment in Brooklyn during the 40's and 50's. Pot roasting was about the only way to do a brisket (or any roast for that matter). If you'd ever had the opportunity to eat my mother's pot roast brisket, you'd understand why I enjoyed it so much. She did chicken the same exact way except she omitted the potato and served the chicken and gravy over rice. Damn! It was good!
                                                  Btw, back then, brisket was done that way by all Eastern European Jewish mothers. God bless them.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                    Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    Oh, I'm sure it was(is) wonderful, and have had brisket 
                                                    such as that at many a Jewish feast, but I'm a bbqboy thru and thru.

Twinwillow

Re:Pot Roast: when to slice? Tue, 11/23/10 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                                      I love my smoked BBQ brisket as well, Bill.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com