Shawarma---Middle Eastern "Tacos" at home

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4013
2010/12/04 00:53:04 (permalink)

Shawarma---Middle Eastern "Tacos" at home

I thought it was timely seeing the thread about Gyros today, seeing that I had just made a related meal to put up here. The meal is shawarma, another rotisserie based meat and pita meal.
I started out with 2 1/2 pounds of top round/london broil. I sliced it into broad, thin, flat slices after freezing it for about 30 minutes. I made a marinade of olive oil, thin-sliced onion, garlic, zaatar, white pepper, salt and red pepper flakes. After marinating for a few hours, I began to make my rotisserie skewer. I put some foil on one of the prong sides and stood the rod on it's end. I put a layer of meat on, a few slices of the onion, and continues to layer meat and onion until it was all used up. I sed the other prong side to compress it and wrapped it in foil to make sure it stayed together. After chilling for an hour in the fridge, I put on the back burner for the rotisserie and got the skewer on.

After a few minutes of rotation I took the foil off.

In the meantime I blended a cup of greek yogurt with 5 fresh garlic cloves, 1/4 squeezed lemon, salt, white pepper and olive oil. Once it was blended completely I had my garlic sauce.
After an hour or so, the meat was nicely crisped. I put my cast iron grill beneath it and proceeded to cut some of the meat off.

The meat sliced nicely and fell onto the sizzling cast iron. I sliced off enough for a few sandwiches and continued to let the meat turn on the spit.
I had gone to my local Middle Eastern Market and picked up some fresh pita bread.

On went some fresh salad green, onion, grape tomatoes and some of the sauce.

I topped it of with the grilled beef.

Another topping of sauce and as much of a roll as I could do and it was ready to eat.

I made a second one and put some Srirachaca hot sauce on it. Yum!

Stuffed, I put away the leftovers. The meat reheats really well. I'm set for shawarma!

29 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1