The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Jiggers Diner article from my02818.com

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
  • Roadfood Insider
Jiggers Diner article from my02818.com Thu, 12/16/10 9:29 AM (permalink)

Jigger's To Re-Open On Friday

Jigger's Diner, a popular breakfast spot on Main Street that has been closed since August, will re-open Friday.

Print | E-mail | Share

By ROBERT PLAIN
Tuesday, 12-14-2010

Jigger's, the popular Main Street diner that has been closed since August, will re-open on Friday, said owner Iva Reynhout after making a brief appearance at a Town Council meeting on Monday night.

"It's very good news," she said, in front of Town Hall, after leaving the Council meeting. "I'm sure I'll have some happy customers."

On Monday night, as she spoke to a gaggle of reporters in front of Town Hall after the Council approved her application for a new food service license, a long-time customer walked by and asked what was happening with her breakfast restaurant. When she told him she planned to open on Friday, the man smiled and said, "Fantastic."

Reynhout plans to open Jigger's on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, from 6am to 1pm for the foreseeable future, she said. "I need to be able to keep costs down," she said. "Hopefully we'll be open more, but this is it for now."

Jigger's was closed by the state Department of Revenue in August for not paying sales taxes. Reynhout said she was able to make a payment to the state and work out a payment plan to for the remainder of the outstanding money owed.

A local institution that was almost always crowded for breakfast, Jigger's is also well-known around the state and region. The Food Network recently called it the best breakfast in Rhode Island. The antique 1947 Worcester Lunch Car, has been there since the 1950's, and there has been a diner in that location at 145 Main St. since 1917. 

Reynhout said the downtown diner is still for sale. In August, her real estate agent Marilyn Keisel said the restaurant was for sale for $379,750.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com