The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Half-smokes in the DC area

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47
southdenverhoo

• Total Posts: 3
RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Wed, 11/1/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
so any news re how to get the Briggs or Kunztlers online? Google has let me down. Though as I type this I think I may have transposed the z and the t.

boshaggy

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Thu, 03/1/07 11:59 AM (permalink)
    two great places for half smokes are Shaggy's Waggys outside the Home Depot in Westminster and Frederick (on 355), Maryland. They also carry polish (same as ploock johnny's from baltimore)along with johnsonville brats. They grill (not boil) and use warm potatoe rolls ....they are awsome

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Thu, 03/1/07 12:17 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by boshaggy

and use warm potatoe rolls ....

Dan Quayle would be proud.

thanks for the tip about Shaggy Waggys, though I'm not sure how soon I'll be out in Frederick. Too bad they don't sell 'em at the Home Depot on Rhode Island Ave - I seem to be there pretty often lately.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Fri, 03/2/07 12:47 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by boshaggy

two great places for half smokes are Shaggy's Waggys outside the Home Depot in Westminster and Frederick (on 355), Maryland. They also carry polish (same as ploock johnny's from baltimore)along with johnsonville brats. They grill (not boil) and use warm potatoe rolls ....they are awsome

Shaggy's Waggys posted by boshaggy, so I've gotta ask, what is your connection to this place?

MikeS.

southdenverhoo

RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Tue, 06/19/07 8:38 PM (permalink)
          City Paper article from February of this year spills the beans:
          http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=561&newslet

It once WAS Brigg's, it now IS Manger of Baltimore, and you CAN'T buy the ones Ben's does--but you can buy something damn close. Now these were at the Eastern Market before that burned down, don't know where/whether Union Meat has re-set up shop....

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
            RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Wed, 06/20/07 7:27 AM (permalink)
            hoo,

thanks so much for the link. the most comprehensive study i've seen on this subject which is dear to my heart.

brought back great memories, doug

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
              RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Wed, 06/20/07 9:49 AM (permalink)
              great article! I missed that one in the City Paper.

I forgot about the Weenie Beenie in Shirlington. My performing arts company put on a show at a theatre around the corner about 4 years ago. Over the few weeks we were down there, I had a couple half smokes and some hamburgers. Their half-smokes are very good.

The day laborer pick-up spot is right next door, so breafast time is very very busy.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Tue, 06/26/07 7:29 PM (permalink)
                One of you in DC needs to find out if Union Meat is still open and where so that I can visit.

Please.

MikeS.

EbME

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Fri, 09/21/07 4:37 PM (permalink)
                  I just called Union Meats and they are still at Eastern Market, just in the smaller temporary space east of the old building. I'm going this weekend to check out the half smokes!

lam61157

RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Fri, 01/25/08 12:42 PM (permalink)
                    I have found Briggs hot half smokes at this location they even ship www.wholesomefoodsinc.com a little pricey mabey but .....worth it .
                    For a 6lb box is $45 includes shpg . Good Luck

purebeauty

RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Mon, 03/17/08 2:05 PM (permalink)
                      I'm from the DC metropolitan area. I relocated to Baltimore years ago. If you ask for a half-smoke in Balto, they will always try to sell you a polish susage. I look in supermarkets --Safeway used to, sell them in DC but apparently not now or, at least the ones in Balto metro area. They have no clue! what a half smoke is.
                      I'm glad I "googled" half-smokes! today because I'm not alone in trying to find one (half-smoke).
                      There's nothing like a HALF-SMOKE.
                      By the way, I only got a half-smoke in Baltimore twice. Once downtown by the City Hall Bdlg and at Saint Paul Street @ park in front of 200 St. Paul St venders. And, I was able to get one because I asked for one and because the vender(s) was from DC

RLHTEH

RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Sun, 11/2/08 9:58 PM (permalink)
                        Weenie Beenie is credited with invention of the Half-Smoke. They are definitely worth the trip!

cgpublic

• Total Posts: 12
                          RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Mon, 11/3/08 8:49 PM (permalink)
                          I enjoyed my first (and to date, only) half-smoke at the Ben's Chili Bowl located in Nationals Ballpark. Definitely a unique and worthwhile "all the way" sausage experience.

Sitting back and thinking of next season, I can almost taste the heat while enjoying a Mets vs. Nationals series, a half-smoke all the way as a pre-game starter, perhaps a 5 Guys in the early innings if I've arrived super early, or maybe a Boardwalk Fries as a mid-game snack, and then a Gifford's ice cream sandwich to finish the evening on a high note.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                            RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Tue, 11/11/08 5:42 PM (permalink)
                            I was driving on 301 south to Richmond this weekend and I stopped by the Twin Kiss outside of La Plata, Maryland, which is about ten minutes from the bridge. Anyway, I noticed they sold half smokes there. Unfortunately, I didn't see it on the menu until after I ordered. I ended up with a really good bacon burger and onion rings, but I have been wanting to try a half smoke for a while.

It is odd, I'm more or less life long Baltimore, but I never even heard of half smokes until I read about them on RoadFood.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                              RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Tue, 11/11/08 7:19 PM (permalink)
                              Weenie Beenie is a true Roadfood paradise that I patronized faithfully during my nearly 30 years of living in the Arlington-McLean area of NOVA. And "half-smokes" aren't even the "half" of it: grilled cheese & bacon sandwiches, Eastern N.C. BBQ sandwiches, Whiting fish, etc. ad infinitum - Weenie Beenie is a true Mecca for tasty stuff.

It's a walk up just off 395 on the corner of Four Mile Run Drive & Shirlington Rd. Their "back story" is is great as the food:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/Libraries/history/LibrariesHistoryBackPagesMain072506.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weenie_Beenie

(Little noted is that there is another place (a former Weenie Beenie) on the corner of Edsall & S. Pickett in Alexandria that serves the same splendid menu).

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                                • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Half-smokes in the DC area Wed, 11/12/08 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                MetroplexJim is spot on regarding Weenie Beenie. A great chili half-smoke and excellent NC bbq (with slaw and a packet of Texas Pete). Always went when I worked in D.C. but now, maybe twice a year.

Regarding 'Shaggy's Waggys' above, it has been closed at the Home Depot in Westminster for at least a year, and when it was open, the food was bland and cold and who ever was running it couldn't have given a tinkers damn about service.

You may or may not think Ben's Chili Bowl is all that great, but everyone should try to hit it at least once.

Enviroguy101958

• Total Posts: 8
                                  Re:Half-smokes in the DC area Fri, 02/20/09 1:56 PM (permalink)
                                  The place to get a great half smoke with chili is Ben's Chili Bowl (Been in business for 50 years even through the 68 riots).  Its at 12th and U street NW in DC in the middle of the block between 12th and 13th.  It is where Bill Cosby took his wife on their first date and acted the make shift media center for Stokely Carmichael  (Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee) during the 68 riots.

A few weeks before his inauguration then President elect Obama stopped in with Mayor Fenty for a half smoke and a shake.

Look them up ay www.benschilibowl.com

Enjoy
                                  Bruce

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com