Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood?

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 452
2010/12/28 10:42:26 (permalink)

Skippers Fish Camp in Darien GA... this is roadfood?

I hope not to sound too pompous know-it-all when I say this, but... yesterday for lunch, my family and I had an amazing meal at Skippers Fish Camp in Darien.  We stopped here because we've set a goal of visiting all the Georgia restaurants (currently 31) reviewed on this site, and featuring each on our own food blog (that's Marie Let's Eat! if you didn't know).  We've about hit the halfway point, after which, it will get a little tricky - particularly going back and forth through middle Georgia for all the ones between Jackson and Fort Valley.

Now Skippers Fish Camp is indeed terrific, and I had some of the best shrimp that I've ever had.  Brunswick stew and gator were also really great.  But, I have to say, this is the *least* roadfood experience of any place that this site has sent us in any state.  It's part of a high-end public-private partnership to revitalize the Darien downtown and small riverfront area, a multi-million dollar project that includes a huge condominium complex.  They sell sea salt scrub by the jar for $25.  Looking at their website and noting their outrageously high prices, my family had a big breakfast on SSI and, for lunch, split one entree, two appetizers and two cups of stew.  The bill was still $51 before tip.  This is very much a high-end, destination restaurant for high rollers.  If you're familiar with Atlanta, it's much more like Ray's or Dantanna's than anything that I was expecting.

I understand paying for quality, and if you're looking for a great meal, parked next to the lone Lexus in the posh lot, this is a good possibility.  But on our way back to I-95, we passed by a block house called BJ's Steaks and Seafood with a parking lot absolutely packed.  I have been wondering for the last 23 hours whether we didn't go to the wrong place.

37 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1