The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 3:04 PM (permalink)
Does anybody remember or know of a cookie that was sort of like a graham cracker, but maybe a little bit sweeter, and had slivered almonds in it? I think the name had something to do with Holland. I can't find these anywhere, and I'd sure like to have some. My Dad used to buy them when we were kids.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
    RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 3:16 PM (permalink)
    They're (Holland) Almond Windmill Cookies. Read more at: http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/food/goddess/0912.html . FYI.

4fish

• Total Posts: 214
      RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 3:25 PM (permalink)
      I remember those. Mostly because as a kid I hated nuts in cookies and I was always really disappointed when those cookies turned up for milk breaks at school.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
        RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 3:34 PM (permalink)
        We always got some kind of cookie that ALWAYS had pink icing, a rather large cookie, maybe with a scalloped edging...they were pretty good. Remember that one???

Linda Gebhardt

• Total Posts: 61
          RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 4:47 PM (permalink)
          I remember a pink frosted cookie that was a spice cookie. The windmill cookies are made by Archway and sold in our local supermarkets.I love them with a cup of tea.

RedPatti

• Total Posts: 135
            RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 4:53 PM (permalink)
            Thanks for bringing back a great memory of my dad always buying those for us at the grocery store. In the old days they were in big bins and you put them in bakery bags.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
              RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 4:59 PM (permalink)

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 5:23 PM (permalink)
                Dearfolk,
                We might be thinking of Jan Hagel, "A real Dutch cookie," that was marketed circa 1962 by - I believe it was - Nabisco. Those were frightfully similar to windmill cookies. I mention the Jan Hagel (and I think that's the right spelling!) jingle on the "remember that song" thread.
                My favorite cookies are still homemade-from-scratch peanut butter!
                Uncrunchingly, Ort. Carlton in No-Food-In-Library Athens, GA.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                  RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Wed, 01/28/04 5:37 PM (permalink)
                  Jan Hagel. That's the exact cookie you described Skylar. I remember it well. Good job, Ort.Carlton

skylar0ne

RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Thu, 01/29/04 3:38 PM (permalink)
                    I think Ort is right..I believe they were called Jan Hagel. I really liked those-wish I could find some now. And yes, I do remember those cookies with the pink icing and the scalloped edges...I can't remember what they were called, but I remember them very well.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                      RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Thu, 01/29/04 5:04 PM (permalink)
                      Almond Windmill cookies are made by a number of manufacturers. In Chicago, I still buy the Salerno brand.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                        RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Fri, 01/30/04 12:37 PM (permalink)
                        I remember Jan Hagel from high school. Her parents owned a popular fish and chips joint. They were convicted of battering fish and child abuse. Jan went nuts and cracked. She eventually moved back to the Netherlands and wed this guy named Salerno, who buttered her up, but it was better than being battered. I always hated those windmill cookies!

skylar0ne

RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Fri, 01/30/04 2:49 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          I remember Jan Hagel from high school. Her parents owned a popular fish and chips joint. They were convicted of battering fish and child abuse. Jan went nuts and cracked. She eventually moved back to the Netherlands and wed this guy named Salerno, who buttered her up, but it was better than being battered. I always hated those windmill cookies!

That was quite a story, chi-dog. Seems old Jan led a hell of a life, but I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
                            RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Fri, 01/30/04 3:14 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Was she a cute little cookie? Did she have lots of dough?

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                              RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Fri, 01/30/04 4:00 PM (permalink)
                              Jan Hagel's - one of my favorite cookies growing up. They came in a blue bag that rolled down to keep them fresh.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Fri, 01/30/04 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

Chicagostyledog,
                                Congratulations! You have out-Ort.ed me. I commend you sincerely.
                                Still doesn't explain those serose edges, though.
                                Not Hageling, Ort. in 30601.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                                  RE: Need Help Remembering this Cookie Name Fri, 01/30/04 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:

Chicagostyledog,
                                  Congratulations! You have out-Ort.ed me. I commend you sincerely.
                                  Still doesn't explain those serose edges, though.
                                  Not Hageling, Ort. in 30601.

Thanks Ort,

I felt it was finally time to come out of the cookie jar. Can't explain the serose edges. Could've been an accident at birth when the doctors slapped my mother instead of me.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com