Helpful ReplyTwo great Cleveland burger spots

Author
lewin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2011/01/04 05:23:08 (permalink)

Two great Cleveland burger spots

sorry but I don't have any photos, and admin does not allow URL posting (a bit heavy handed, IMHO.)

Sergios of University Circle is hardly a typical road food type location (sadly it is adorned with fabric table linens), but it is worth mentioning as serving one of the best hamburgers in Cleveland. The chef comes from Brazil, and has won a number of awards for his innovative cuisine.

They have a lot of Latin dishes, and put an innovative twist on traditional favorites, like a home made, four-cheese macaroni & cheese made with orechetti pasta and fried onions. But for me, the best thing on the menu is the Jules burger.

Rather than one giant burger that is unevenly cooked, the Jules burger is two plancha-grilled thinner patties. Plancha is a Spanish griddle, and allows the natural juices and sugars from the beef to caramelize slightly during cooking, producing a delicious flavor. The burger is covered with Tillamook cheddar and Fontina cheeses, and served on a delicious bun. The burgers are very tasty and juicy, I went through two napkins eating mine!

It comes with a tasty but not incendiary habanero aioli and good fries. Sergio’s is well worth a stop if you are a burger fan.

In Woodmere village off I-271 by Chagrin there is a great place called B-spot opened by celebrity Iron Chef Michael Symon. The meat is custom ground for the restaurant, and served in a number of interesting options such as the Breuben (burger with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss, Russian dressing), Philly Witt (burger with flipsteak, cheezewhiz, onions) or the Yo (burger with fried salami, coppa, hot peppers, provolone, shasha hot sauce). I had the beanless chili burger and loved it.

As expected, the fries are also awesome. Most burgers are around $9, and include a delicious pepper bar to dress them up.

They have a number of innovative bourbon drinks too; unfortunately I was there at lunch so I could only have a milkshake. I ordered the Vanilla Bean Apple Pie and Bacon (yes, bacon) shake, it was incredible. The combo sounds odd, but was delicious.

The place gets very crowded and does not take reservations, so I recommend coming early or late if you can. Also a word of caution, it’s on a street with a 25 mph speed limit that is fanatically enforced, do not speed on Chagrin Blvd. or you will get a ticket!
post edited by lewin - 2011/01/04 05:25:19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1