The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Woodmans in Essex

Filetofish

• Total Posts: 59
Woodmans in Essex Wed, 01/5/11 7:09 AM (permalink)
I live in Gloucester which is one town over from Essex. It has been many years since I have eaten at Woodman's as most folks around here consider it a tourist trap, which it is. The food is good though. The problem is that there are other places that have food just as good for less or more of it.
I don't know why I stopped there to eat but I was satisfied. I didn't get the clams like I usually would, I wanted fish and chips. Woodman's doesn't have fish and chips, they have a haddock plate which is $13.95. The plate comes with french fries and onion rings.
The fish was just what I expected, fried lightly and moist. This fish was in the Atlantic probably less than 24 hours before. The tartar sauce was very good, 2 containers. The french fries were also very good, nothing remarkable. The onion rings were excellent, batter dipped and fried a bit dark. They cool off fast so eat quickly. A large ginger ale with ice brought the total with tip to $18.00.
Woodman's used to have 1 pound containers of salt on every table, not any more. The inner is served in a Miller beer cardboard case box. I'm not complaining because the food was fine. But just up the street at Essex Seafood, I could get fish & chips for $6.95, or the same dinner for $9.95.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Woodmans in Essex Wed, 01/5/11 6:32 PM (permalink)
    I agree.  Woodman's is superb ... but, it isn't hard to look not that far and find as good at much better prices.

Welcome to RF.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
      Re:Woodmans in Essex Wed, 01/5/11 7:00 PM (permalink)
      We were in Cape Ann about five years ago and planned on hitting all the fried clam places.  One problem:  RED TIDE.   So, our plans changed a bit - and we only went to one fried clam place - The Clam Box - but even they were getting their clams elsewhere (from Maine I believe).   

So, we decided to skip Woodmans (our B & B hosts said - "if you can't get the right clams, don't bother with anything else there") - in favor of the One Pound Lobster Dinner at Essex - and it was excellent - one of the highlights of the trip - and pretty reasonable too.

Welcome to the site!

seafarer john

Re:Woodmans in Essex Wed, 01/5/11 8:29 PM (permalink)
        So, Roadfood grows evolves and moves on from the received wisdom of a previous generation.

Cheers, John  

Filetofish

Re:Woodmans in Essex Mon, 01/10/11 7:27 AM (permalink)
          Thanks for the welcomes....

Filetofish

Re:Woodmans in Essex Mon, 01/10/11 7:33 AM (permalink)
            wheregreggeats.com

I agree.  Woodman's is superb ... but, it isn't hard to look not that far and find as good at much better prices.

Welcome to RF.

I agree, I live in a great seafood area.

Filetofish

Re:Woodmans in Essex Mon, 01/10/11 7:36 AM (permalink)
              stanpnepa

We were in Cape Ann about five years ago and planned on hitting all the fried clam places.  One problem:  RED TIDE.   So, our plans changed a bit - and we only went to one fried clam place - The Clam Box - but even they were getting their clams elsewhere (from Maine I believe).   

So, we decided to skip Woodmans (our B & B hosts said - "if you can't get the right clams, don't bother with anything else there") - in favor of the One Pound Lobster Dinner at Essex - and it was excellent - one of the highlights of the trip - and pretty reasonable too.

Welcome to the site!

Red tide is an occasional problem here. Decent clams do come from elsewhere, even Boston Harbor now! I can go to the end of my street (500') and see the clammers digging at low tide. They'll be eaten tomorrow.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Woodmans in Essex Mon, 01/10/11 5:36 PM (permalink)
                I do love the regional specialties of the East & South Coast of the U S A ! We enjoyed Seafood in California a lot...but nothing we had matched what we have found in the East.
                Maine  Lobster-
                North Shore, Mass.  Whole Belly Clams-
                Chesapeake Bay and Carolina's, Crab/Crabcake and Oysters
                Gulf Coast- Oysters and Shrimp

I attended college in Salem Mass in the 60's and learned quickly to appreciate the difference between the Fried Clam (strips) of HoJo's and the wonderful Whole Clams at McIntyres (RIP) in Rowley, The Clam Box in Ipswich, and Woodman's in Essex.
                Thanks for bringing back some great memories with your comments about the wonderful world of shellfish !

Filetofish

Re:Woodmans in Essex Tue, 01/11/11 5:25 AM (permalink)
                  A pleasure.
                  Great food in Louisville area as well.

TheClambelly

• Total Posts: 1
                    Re:Woodmans in Essex Mon, 04/18/11 9:27 AM (permalink)
                    Well, I'm an official Woodman's addict.  Sadly (where it comes to finding this kind of food) I'm also a New Yorker.  I love New England--most everything about it, except the Red Sox, of course.  Now, don't get all huffy about that, you guys.  If anyone understands passion for a sports team you guys do.  I consider Red Sox fans to be some of the best baseball fans in the entire world, especially you older ones.  You hung in there with the Sawx for a century with nothing to show for your allegiance, and were finally rewarded twice.  But I'm a Yankees fan and have been since 1956.  You can hate me if you want to, but you have to respect the fact that I've been following the same great team for over 50 years, and I've seen my share of downs as well as ups.  You may consider them to be the Evil Empire, but it's all about passion and allegiance, and I've had both since 1956.

Now, let's get to the important stuff.  I've never lived more than a mile offshore in my life (except for a year in Phoenix, which I won't discuss).  Born in Miami and grew up and still live in Long Island, NY.  Seafood is KING (well, along with Italian food and sushi of course).  And the best thing ever put on the planet is of course the whole belly Ipswich fried clam.  And the best place to find it is still Woodman's.  My screen name probably gives you an idea of my adoration for this incredible morsel of loveliness.  I've traveled all over looking for the perfect fried whole belly clam.  Sorry gang...there are great places on the Cape, and the Clam Box is probably just as good, but for my money, it's all about Chubby's joint.  Woodman's is KING.  I've tried 'em all: the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport (meh...not bad, but no Woodman's).  Nope.  It's Woodman's.  I'm just grateful that there are no good places on Long Island or I'd be eating these things like M&M's and my arteries would be going on strike.  There's a place here called Bigelow's but it's crap and it's expensive.  I hear there's a place in Madison, CT that's good, but that's a ridiculous trip for me too.  Guess I'll just have to fantasize about WBC's all the time and whenever I'm on my way north and east, I'll gladly drive out of my way to hit Essex and pay Woodman's a long-anticipated visit.  You eastern New Englanders are so lucky!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com