any "roach coach" lunch truck operators out there?

Author
acdc_fan1983
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2011/01/17 19:10:53 (permalink)

any "roach coach" lunch truck operators out there?

Hi,
I am researching into starting a "roach coach" lunch truck business. I am not interested in the type of truck where food is prepared in the truck on site.

I am curious if any operators of this type of business use the forum if so I have some questions regarding the business

I apologize for all the questions but i've had the hardest time finding info on this type of business even searching through old posts and other websites. i'm sort of surprised no one has written a how-to book for lunch trucks.

-How do you build the route? I assume a good way to start would be contacting construction companies inquiring about operating at their job sites. However i'd assume most construction jobs start at roughly the same time in the morning and take their lunch at roughly the same time in the afternoon. how is it possible to hit a bunch of them in a day? 

-What other type of business is generally good for this type of sales? is it primarily blue collar or is there any luck in cruising office parks or medical complexes

-Do you offer incentives/commissions to the business for allowing you to sell there? is it generally a free for all or do you get exclusive contracts to do the concessions for a construction firm's job site.

- Do you sell mostly pre-packaged foods, prepared hot foods, or both? Do you cook the food yourself or buy it from a catering commissary?

- Is there any kind of ballpark way of estimating revenue, like is there a rule of thumb based on # of workers, or anything like that?

- How do you figure your pricing, in other words whats a good % for COGS (mark up %)
- Are there any good resources to look at for someone wanting to start in the business?

Thanks in advance

Also hope no one takes offense at  my use of the term 'roach coach', no offense intended when i was a kid i used to eat at one when i visited my parents work, and everyone called it that even the lady who ran it did, she even had her horn on the truck play la cucaracha. 

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1