The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it?

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Thu, 01/20/11 6:42 AM (permalink)
I’ve heard amazing things about liquid coffee concentrate for years.  People tell me it’s the best cup of coffee they’ve ever had, and I hear this over and over again.  I grind my own beans every morning, but if concentrate tastes as good as I’ve heard, I may just give up the grind, so to speak.  If any of you’ve tried it, what’s your opinion?  I’d like to find a mild to medium roast, unflavored (and no chicory).  I’m not sure I have the patience to cold-brew my own (as with the Coffee Toddy), but I’d love to find something available in stores.  Mail order is such an expensive hassle, especially for grocery items.    
<message edited by MellowRoast on Thu, 01/20/11 6:57 AM>

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
    Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Thu, 01/20/11 10:44 AM (permalink)
    I do some side work for Kraft Beverages and they have several models of machines  called "convenience coffee" that use both frozen and refrigerated coffee concentrate depending on the model. I know they have a deal which gives you free use of the equipment and free service in return for buying the product from them. I have tasted the coffee many times and think it's quite good but I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means. I have about 40 machines of this type that I service in my area. They are placed in a small chain of local restaurants, a Club Med type resort, a very high-end retirement facility, and several motels in the area. One good thing is you always get a fresh cup of coffee. The product sold by Kraft is Maxwell House. There are other brands sold by other companies such as Hills/Nestle, Nescafe, Vitality and Douwe Egbert. All of the convenience coffee's I've seen required special equipment such as a Bunn model LCC for small -mid volume and a Bunn model LCR for higher volume.

Barney

• Total Posts: 115
      Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Thu, 01/20/11 1:10 PM (permalink)
      I've got to say I have had Douwe Egbert's liquid coffee at the old Magnolia Steak House in Ghent, Norfolk, VA.  I was astounded at the wonderful flavor!  Looked up the equipment a couple of years ago and it seemed that it was very expensive for the home brewers so I gave up and the Magnolia closed....no more fresh Douwe Egbert's!  Barney

MellowRoast

Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Thu, 01/20/11 1:29 PM (permalink)
        Barney: Actually, equipment isn't needed unless you cold-brew it yourself, such as The Coffee Toddy (about $38).  I'm trying to find a consumer-friendly bottled liquid coffee concentrate, mild or medium roast.  You just mix it with hot water (or cold for iced coffee).   

Cool Brew is a brand out of Louisana, but they don't offer a chicory-free mild or medium roast.  Victoria House is a San Diego-based brand, but I'm trying to avoid mail order for obvious reasons. 

Ces1948:  Thank you for the info. Called area restaurant supplies and coffee services this morning, but have come up empty handed so far.  Will follow the rest of your tips, too.
        <message edited by MellowRoast on Fri, 01/21/11 10:43 PM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
          Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Thu, 01/20/11 1:50 PM (permalink)
          As a consumer  I have had the Douwe Egbert brand from Daylight Donuts here in Texas and I find it as good as anything I can grind myself. I always resort to that when I don't feel like making an entire pot. It's very good. IMHO.

MellowRoast

Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Thu, 01/20/11 2:57 PM (permalink)
            Yes, I've heard the same thing about DE's liquid concentrate, too.  This is the prevailing opinion I'm getting about concentrates.  

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7742
              Re:Liquid Coffee Concentrate...anyone use it? Fri, 01/21/11 8:21 PM (permalink)
              You can cold brew your own in a French Press. Takes about 12-15 hours with the same results as a Toddy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com