Breakfast with Mr. Chips and Trudyn, with a cupcake adventure

Author
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1440
2011/01/20 16:39:16 (permalink)

Breakfast with Mr. Chips and Trudyn, with a cupcake adventure

I had the great pleasure of meeting Mr. Chips and Trudyn at Glo's Coffee Shop in Seattle during the holiday. They were kind enough to drive several hours from Portland for a get together. Glo's is a tiny 12 table restaurant in the diverse area of Capitol Hill. After a short wait we were seating in the middle of the very busy and noisy dining area. It was wonderful meeting both Jim and Trudy. Mr. Chips is as enthusiastic about roadfood in person as he is on the forums. And Trudy has a terrific wry sense of humor. If someone will tell me (again!) how to post photos, I will post the pictures of our breakfast.

Trudy and Jim started off with a piece of Glo's sour cream coffee cake. We were talking so much, I totally forgot to ask them how it was.  Mr. Chips, how was the coffee cake? Trudy and Jim shared an order of Smoked Salmon Scrambled Eggs, which the delightful server had the kitchen split on two plates. The portion sizes at Glo's are very generous and we first thought that each plate was a full order. I ordered Eggs Benedict with avocado and grilled tomatoes. It was excellent. I'm not the biggest hollandaise fan, but Glo's rendition was silky, lemony and not too buttery. Glo's hash browns are the shredded variety and were crisp and nicely potatoey.  Jim and Trudy seemed to enjoy their smoked salmon eggs. Honestly, we were talking so much I never even snagged a taste! I liked Glo's very much and would recommend it. Glo's is located at 1621 Olive Way, Seattle.

For dessert, we headed to University Village for a Trophy Cupcake. Trudy is familiar with the area, so knew right where to go. One thing we didn't think about was after Christmas Shoppers. It was a very crowded shopping center, very upscale with shops like Tiffany's. After driving around trying to find Trophy, Jim called them to see where in the mall they were located. It didn't matter when we located it, there was nowhere to park at all.  After another phone call, we learned we were just a few minutes away from another Trophy location and off we went. Trudy was unflappable in the bumper to bumper traffic and transported us to the next location seamlessly.  Trophy's Wallingford shop is located in a rehabbed old brick school building housing lots of little shops and kiosks. We purchased 2 different flavors, a lemon cupcake for Trudy and Bourbon Eggnog for Jim and myself. Trudy like her lemon cupcake, and I enjoyed the bourbon eggnog cupcake. It did indeed taste like bourbon and certainly had an unmistakable egg nog flavored frosting. I was glad we ended up at the second location. It was quiet and serene after the shopping center experience.

It was nice to meet more Roadfood people. It was probably close to a 6 hour round trip for Trudy and Jim to drive up from Portland and I so appreciate that they took the time for the trip. Hopefully, I will get to Portland in the near future and have another get together in their area.
post edited by zataar - 2011/01/20 17:03:00

5 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1